Animefreak17 And His All-Purpose General Chat Thread

i need help - united publication
ok i sent a check to united publication for battle vixens season 2 on the 23/7/11 and iv been waiting for nearly 3-4 weeks for it.
i double checked the address twice both my own and and the united publication address before sending it off and i made sure everything was done right.
what do you think i should do

Contact them and find out if it has arrived, may have been lost in the post. Failing that pay for things on paypal instead, most places don't use cheques as they can bounce and leave the seller short. So a basic fraud proof way is to not accept cheques in the first place.

animefreak17 said:
ok i sent a check to united publication for battle vixens season 2 on the 23/7/11 and iv been waiting for nearly 3-4 weeks for it.
i double checked the address twice both my own and and the united publication address before sending it off and i made sure everything was done right.

Phone or e-mail them - they're nice chaps and based in the UK so you should be able to get in touch very quickly.

It may be that your cheque has gone missing in the post (it happens). If they haven't received it you can instruct your bank to cancel the cheque, then send a new one. If they have received it they can tell you where your order is.

R

Rui said:
animefreak17 said:

Phone or e-mail them - they're nice chaps and based in the UK so you should be able to get in touch very quickly.

It may be that your cheque has gone missing in the post (it happens). If they haven't received it you can instruct your bank to cancel the cheque, then send a new one. If they have received it they can tell you where your order is.

R
but would i be able to get the money back if i say to cancel the cheque after this long.
il ring them up tomorrow and ask, if the cheque hasn't arrived then il go to the bank and cancel it if they'll let me

animefreak17 said:
but would i be able to get the money back if i say to cancel the cheque after this long.
il ring them up tomorrow and ask, if the cheque hasn't arrived then il go to the bank and cancel it if they'll let me

If the cheque hasn't been cashed you haven't paid anything, so it will be fine to cancel the cheque. If it has, one of the UP1 folks should be able to tell you where your order is as it will mean it was received :)

It's quite common for cheques to vanish in the post and for people to cancel them much later on when they find out; Royal Mail don't acknowledge post as lost for ages anyway.

R

animefreak17 said:
hey Rui whats you favourite genre

Historical stuff like Rose of Versailles/Chevalier D'Eon/Blade of the Immortal and pretty much any historical fantasy like 12 Kingdoms/Moribito ;)

And Sengoku Basara.

Guns bad, swords good.

R

I love how casual his thread is, and how AF just posts whatever is on his mind that moment. I know it is a similar idea to the general discussion thread, but AF works it so much better and I've never been a fan of the general discussion thread (don't know why), so I think I'm going to adopt an AF posting style and post in this thread more.

Rui said:
animefreak17 said:
hey Rui whats you favourite genre

Historical stuff like Rose of Versailles/Chevalier D'Eon/Blade of the Immortal and pretty much any historical fantasy like 12 Kingdoms/Moribito ;)

And Sengoku Basara.

Guns bad, swords good.

R

I'm also a fan of this genre Rui, but I haven't too many of these anime though, any you would recommend?

I've been interersted in Blade of the Immortal/12 Kingdoms and Chevalier D'Eon for some time now but haven't felt confident enough to get them yet.

Best recent development in this thread:

a) Total randomness of the "Hey Rui what's your favorite genre?" question.

or

b) The natural flow with which Rui answered said question. :lol:

af17: Did you actually check to see if the money had come out of your account?

ilmaestro said:
Best recent development in this thread:

a) Total randomness of the "Hey Rui what's your favorite genre?" question.

or

b) The natural flow with which Rui answered said question. :lol:

af17: Did you actually check to see if the money had come out of your account?
no not yet but il give it til friday if nothings come il ring them up and see whats what

vashdaman said:
I'm also a fan of this genre Rui, but I haven't too many of these anime though, any you would recommend?

I've been interersted in Blade of the Immortal/12 Kingdoms and Chevalier D'Eon for some time now but haven't felt confident enough to get them yet.

Chevalier is very dry and heavy on the political side, but I found it really enjoyable and the setting is one I'd like to see more of. The characters are older (well, more mature) than is usual for recent anime, which was also refreshing.

12 Kingdoms is absolutely fantastic, such that the only negative thing I can say about it is that some story arcs weren't finished as they'd expected the series to go on longer. For Asian-style fantasy this is a flawless work otherwise in my opinion. Give it a few episodes to get going as the first episode is just setup for the later ones. Also, beautiful music.

For Blade of the Immortal, christor of this site has done a nice review of the DVDs which you should check out on the main page ;). The manga is vastly superior to the anime version and comes extremely highly recommended, but my bias towards the genre is such that even a flawed series like the very short anime adaptation gets high ratings from me. If you do check it out I would definitely recommend the manga as either a supplement to watching it or instead of it. There is some fan service (and a lot of violence) in this one though, and I know you're not too keen on that, so I'd prioritise the others first if you're not sure.

R

Chevalier is awesome as an historical fiction piece imo, with some great on-disc extras in the commentary track from the woman who translated the show. One of very few English language commentaries I've ever enjoyed enough to listen through.

Rui said:
vashdaman said:

Chevalier is very dry and heavy on the political side, but I found it really enjoyable and the setting is one I'd like to see more of. The characters are older (well, more mature) than is usual for recent anime, which was also refreshing.

12 Kingdoms is absolutely fantastic, such that the only negative thing I can say about it is that some story arcs weren't finished as they'd expected the series to go on longer. For Asian-style fantasy this is a flawless work otherwise in my opinion. Give it a few episodes to get going as the first episode is just setup for the later ones. Also, beautiful music.

For Blade of the Immortal, christor of this site has done a nice review of the DVDs which you should check out on the main page ;). The manga is vastly superior to the anime version and comes extremely highly recommended, but my bias towards the genre is such that even a flawed series like the very short anime adaptation gets high ratings from me. If you do check it out I would definitely recommend the manga as either a supplement to watching it or instead of it. There is some fan service (and a lot of violence) in this one though, and I know you're not too keen on that, so I'd prioritise the others first if you're not sure.

R

Thanks!
It sounds like I'll have to take the plunge and import 12 Kingdoms then with that kind of praise.

I also think I'll check out the Blade of the Immortal manga as well, I should be able to put up with the "service" as long as its not too bad and the rest of it is good. To be honest the only thing that has put me off so far is just the price of it in the actual shops, £10 a volume!

Back