AnimeCentral; a new anime TV channel coming to the UK?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://www.ukanime.com/template2.php?page=main.php&p=353">UK Anime have spotted</a> an interesting OFCOM license for a new TV channel that would delight UK anime fans - essentially, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chart_Show_TV">Chartshow.tv</a> have registered a new channel by the name of "<a href="http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/tvlicensing/cs/1509.htm">AnimeCentral</a>".
Of course, simply a new OFCOM license isn't enough to presume that this will certainly be on it's way to the UK (indeed,&nbsp; Sony's anime-themed Animax channel has an OFCOM license and broadcasts from the UK but the channel is only picked up by random countries scattered around Europe) but this is an exciting development none the less.

More chances for anime-themed a channel can never can be bad.

It'll be a revelation if we end up with both Animax and AnimeCentral.

Its good that these channels have all been rumoured for UK TV, and hopefully we will see the likes of Animax or AnimeCentral here, but at the moment, i think it may be a while before any of it actually does, especially when the stuff we have at the moment are on lesser known channels. Still, there is always a chance.

Another mysterious piece is added to the puzzle that is "UK anime TV channel that are yet to appear". With that said, this looks promising, especially because it's Chartshow.tv behind the license; reading their Wikipedia article, it seems that are also behind True Movies and True Movies 2, so they seem fairly capable of venturing outside of music.

Great if its true but after all the times its sounded like somthing like this is going to happen and turned out a dissapointment I'm not holding my breath. v_v

I've knew of this for ages never bothered reporting it, because it's been there for ages, nothing has happened yet and I thought you all knew about it. If you scroll down futher GONG also have a license.

It's cheap to buy these licenses and a lot never launch so I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm more suprised that Cartoon Network apparently have a Freeview license.

It looks like they may be at AmeCon (there is an Anime Central panel on Saturday morning and I was wondering what it might be). Of course that could be something entirely different.

Gawyn said:
It looks like they may be at AmeCon (there is an Anime Central panel on Saturday morning and I was wondering what it might be). Of course that could be something entirely different.

That'll be the cherry on the cake if that is the same AnimeCentral. It certainly sounds like it from the way you say it. Can't find any information on the Amecon website, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.

It's more than likely this will only launch on Sky, which is unfortunate for all the anime fans with VM.

Hopefully a deal is hammered out with MVM, ADV and etc to ensure some top quality anime.

Its nice to hear about these channels, brings a little hope into my day. Downside is that I am a VM customer so will most likely miss out as usually they only appear of Sky

It's just to expensive to launch on Virgin, I'm sure that most anime distributors are aware of this and would rather have thier stuff on the channel with the widest reach.

Unfortunately there isn't much interest and reasons cited are anime is too expensive for too little a audience, so it's up to these companies to make anime more attractive to other stations. The anime network feels nothing more than an advertisement for ADV's portfolio and I'd imagine if the figures were good for Propellor they would use this as a way to attract the Bravo/adult swim/MTV/Scifi and etc.

These channels have got to stop kidding themselves what rates highly there struggling to compete, all are lucky if they break the 100,000 mark for their top show and one showing of Princess Mononoke on Film 4 will swiftly beat these numbers and with more competition than ever on UK TV they have to look at something different now.

DaNiMe said:
Gawyn said:

That'll be the cherry on the cake if that is the same AnimeCentral. It certainly sounds like it from the way you say it. Can't find any information on the Amecon website, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.
The only place I have seen it is on the AmeCon event schedule for Saturday on page 15. As with most of the industry panels it does not get a specific mention. Make of that as you will but I am sure we will know one way or another come Saturday.

Great news but if this is really going to happen, it's probably going to be next Year.

I'm also wondering if a channel in the near future will air One Piece or Bleach.

Anyone who is going to Amecon and does attend the panel, be sure to let us know what it's about. I will be at Amecon, but not at the panel since it clashes with the Voice Actor Q&A

I asked Will Blewitt, the chairman of AmeCon about the panel, this was his response:

Will Blewitt said:
On the subject of the Anime Central panel, I'm afraid I can neither confirm nor deny any knowledge on my part of any link between the panel and the news article you linked to. I can assure you, however, that the panel should be one of the most interesting at the convention.

Right then - if you're going to AmeCon, you better go to this :)

Back