ANIME POLL!

Whats the best anime (in your opinion) out of the following?

• Azumanga Daioh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fruits Basket

• School Rumble

• Ouran Host Club

• Chobits

• Bleach

• Ah! My Goddess!

• Shugo Chara

• Clannad

• Other (own choice)

• Total voters
Rui said:
I disagree that Bleach is heavily female-influenced (or if it is, it's doing it wrong). It's a common problem with SJ series and there was a time when it was popular with the fairer sex, but female-orientated Bleach fandom is absolutely miniscule now. I think they were initially hopeful with the initial Soul Society arc and then all gave up and went back to Hetalia/TeniPuri/FMA/Reborn in dismay.

R
can't blame them, the anime got incredibly slow after that arc, i can't make much of a comment on the original manga since i've only read the first volume

Reaper gI said:
Yup I mean Bleach as borderline shounen, it has a sizable jousei fanbase, which it tends to pander to.

Bob, how the fcukaru can something be "borderline shounen"? Unless I'm missing a trick here, a series was/is either serialized in a shounen magazine or it wasn't/isn't. Bleach is. It's also described as a troll work nowadays; nobody taking it seriously and the mangaka having felt the need to tell his moaning fans to GTFO if they can't do it better than him.

Saying Bleach is borderline womanly is like saying Death Note is also womanly due to a sizable number of its fans being ladies who finger themselves over Light + L doing some 'uke-seme' (idk, or care to know...) business.

Reaper gI said:
Yup I mean Bleach as borderline shounen, it has a sizable jousei fanbase, which it tends to pander to.
This is barely concealed beneath the facade of a huge amount of modern shounen (or "neo-shounen", to borrow Daryl Surat's superb term), and Bleach is miles down the list of culprits, as Rui says (I would add Nurarihyon and Gintama as two other main examples from Jump recently. You'll even find more OP doujinshi along those lines, I would estimate). Bleach is only on the borderline between being "shounen" and "really shounen". I heard the title of the magazine it runs in is a small clue, too.

ilmaestro said:
(I would add Nurarihyon and Gintama as two other main examples from Jump recently. You'll even find more OP doujinshi along those lines, I would estimate)

Shh, I'm hiding my own fandoms really cunningly :)

Bleach wasn't even given a section at last Comiket IIRC on "fujoshi day" whereas Gintama is probably more female-friendly than a lot of series in actual shoujo magazines. I went to a neutral (i.e. not fujoshi-orientated) Gintama exhibit in Tokyo a year or so ago. Didn't see a single male attendee.

R

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:
(I would add Nurarihyon and Gintama as two other main examples from Jump recently. You'll even find more OP doujinshi along those lines, I would estimate)

Shh, I'm hiding my own fandoms really cunningly :)

R
Hehe.

I have to be honest, the NuraMago thing still surprises me a little. I can see why Nurarihyon himself has a fanbase, but I don't really want to think to hard about where it goes from there.

--

Looking back at that ANN top 10, I way prefer the one from the other site (not massively convinced it's a site that we "should" be talking about, though):

1 - FMA Brotherhood
2 - Time of EVE Theatrical Version
3 - Cross Game
4 - LOGH
5 - Eva 2.0
6 - Aria the Origination
7 - Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail
8 - Clannad After Story
9 - Gintama
10 - Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners Theatrical Version

They both have massive, glaring flaws (like, right at the top, too, which gets you worried) but 2-5 on this list is closer to something I might draw up personally (I still actually need to watch GinEiDen, but I fully expect to love it).

ilmaestro said:
They both have massive, glaring flaws (like, right at the top, too, which gets you worried) but 2-5 on this list is closer to something I might draw up personally (I still actually need to watch GinEiDen, but I fully expect to love it).
New stuff will be in the wrong positions, after a year or two when the hype dies down they tend to stay where they are. I'd ignore stuff from 2010 and possibly 2009 when comparing, as they won't have settled down yet.
Either way the top 50 or so should have the same constituents, if in a different order. Not like 90.9% is that much different from 89.5%, which is the gap between 6-16. The first 5 have huge gaps in them, but are 2009-10 so won't be settled yet, GinEiDen excluded, that's from 1988-97(110 ep OVA FTW).

You've still got the same people voting on the list overall, so the very fact that it can be so heavily affected by people who think FMA:B is the best anime ever is worrying in itself, to me. The actual mechanics of such a list are so obvious as to not need such very deliberate explanation.

If someone asked me that question I would direct them to my list:

1) MD Geist
2) MD Geist 2
3) Shounen Maid Curo-kun

let's just say I think this list is good enough to not need ten entries.

edit: Fair warning, if you don't know what Curo-kun is, don't google it at work. Or in any other situation.

edit: Reaper, the isshoni series did actually come to mind for my list, purely for how goddam boring the things are! But I couldn't be arsed to add more than three things. :-/

Stuart-says-yes said:
or there is something else about it that is really good.
lol, I am really not prepared to put this "theory" to the test.

Back