Anime only & Anime adaptation discussion.

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Please excuse the title, hah, i'm still considering what'd be best for this. But anyway.

Its probably comes as no surprise that anime is adapted from a lot of different other mediums, most commonly Manga, Light Novels and more and more frequently, Visual Novels as well. Of course we get the original anime series as well but is it just me, or are they becoming less and less common? My questions to you all is this, do you have a personal preference as to what you prefer, Manga Adaptation, Original Anime..etc, or are you not fussed so long as they quality of the show is constant and/or seems interesting/entertaining? Also Do you have any particular thoughts on the increasing amounts of adaptations from said mediums and, i guess quite obviously, the increasing popularity with visual novel/adult visual novel adaptations? Course there is other questions to be asked on it too, and if you have anything else on the topic you want to add please do, i'll put forth my thoughts after a couple of posts.

Well I personally am not bothered which one I'm watching as long as it explains itself and has a good storyline going on.. sometimes the adoption ones tend to drift from the plot and not explain everything.. but as long as the quality is high then I don't mind..

So basically if it down turn out like Love Hina Anime :p

I'm unure of where i stand on a topic like this. In some cases i like the anime only shows, my collection is full of them (Although later on manga versions came out). The anime only ones aren't constrained by having to tell a story that has already come before it, and as such lacks "Filler". On the other hand an anime based of another media (be it light novel, manga, game, visual novel) does allow fans another fans a chance to see it animated, which helps bring the story to life.

I think i take it on a show to show basis, and judge the adatpions on their own merits. It does seem though that adaptions can suffer from other problems though that anime only shows are free from. Mainly the fear that the adatption will fail in comparison to its source matrial. Of course the adaption could also overshadow the source completely leading confusion to which actually came first.

On the subject of Visual Novels adaptions i don't mind i mean three of my top five on MAL are VN adaptions (two being adapted from Hentail VNs but the Hentai parts werre cut out) Its just up to the anime creators to how faithfull they adapt it (and what plot since VN's usual have branching plotlines and multiple endings) I mean they could of made Tsukihime with far more Hentai scenes if they had wanted to instead they just kept one sex scene which showed nothing Although as Aion pointed out in another topic, you can't fully remove the evidence that the shows are based off h-VNs with the character ratios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think if they are adapted like you said there is a higher chance that there will be "Fillers" and if it's anime only they tend to just have the story and explain things fully and sometimes the adoptions miss out bits or change it.. not always for the worse though. It's always good to see a Manga/VN animated that you like, even if you don't fully agree with the direction they took it and in many ways, like me, people read the mangas/novels because they saw the anime first.

But it really depends on how they make it.. they could use the adaptation to clear up a few things, or emphasise on something within the original media, or totally give it a different take all together.. (like your H-VN adaptations).

But I don't really have a preference.. normally if the storys strong and there aren't too many annoying characters I'll watch it..

Whilst it's always great to see original anime properties, and they can be excellent, I'd say the highest proportion of the best shows of the last few years have been Light Novel adaptations.

Would say prefer anime originals or adaptations from light novels. Light novels tend to be richer in details, background and motivations. Also they tend to be much better planned. Anime originals give the writers more freedom and are not bound by the orginal format, ie if an episode covers 2 (or more) chapters of a manga there isn't the break in the stories flow that would be the chapters end.
Not as keen on manga adaptaions as they often have either filler or get finished before the manga does which usually leads to the anime ending sucking major buttock.
The problem with games is that the whole point of a game is that the player is making the choices, which girl to end up with, who lives or dies, etc. If an anime is made it has to try and please everyone no matter what choices they made. So either no major decisions are made or the most generic option taken.

hopeful_monster said:
Not as keen on manga adaptaions as they often have either filler or get finished before the manga does which usually leads to the anime ending sucking major buttock.
Heh.

Original stories always interest me because that way I won't be torn between buying the manga or the anime, or end up with both and forever complain about how the anime is inferior (which it invariably is). It also allows the writers more freedom to tell their own story. And seeing the detailed, elegant art of manga like Beserk or Blade of the Immortal rendered in cheap TV animation is just depressing.

Adaptations from light novels are less of an issue for me as I could own both and get a sufficiently different experience from each.

Original stories from animation studios show to me how willing and creative a company can be, without the need of sauce for inspiration. Plus an original story can define a company and give them notability,such as Gianax and Eva or Xebec and Nadesico.
Adaptions that have been based on H-games, give many western viewers the chance to see how brilliant these titles are, such as Kanon, Fate/Stay or Shuffle!. Plus there's greater likely hood on licensed anime adaptions of these then licensed or complete fan translations

Personally, i've never been too bothered about it, however as i gradually got into Light novels and manga i began to think more on it. So:

Anime Originals: Always a good one i think, however i do think that this is one that has become less frequent as of late. The freedom the creators have for it makes it more appealing to watch, as they aren't restricted to a story which is set in stone by say a manga or visual novel. I wouldn't mind seeing more anime originals about actually, since as said, i do think they are starting to become less common, and the last ones i've seen to have all been of high quality(TTGL, Gundam 00).

Manga -> Anime: I think this is the most common one and i'm so-so with this. No matter what, if i like the series and its based off a manga, i'll no doubt pick up the manga too. Anime series created from them tend to have some form of filler in them bar the odd one, Berserk comes to mind, and i've never been the biggest fan of filler at all. Ok FMA can be deemed an example of filler done right, but i much much prefer the original manga in comparison. Naruto can be used as a good example here too, Shippuden has obviously become fairly disliked as its too slow and quality seems to lack, but the manga has been far better as of late. I guess you could say its a 50-50 thing, if they create it without much use of filler i tend to find it better, as when filler is used it usually is of a much lower standard to the rest of it.

Light novel -> Anime: I'll be honest in saying in terms of adaptions, Light novels are a favourite. When they make a series from a light novel they usually have a ton of content to deal with, making it less likely that it'll have filler, and even when they do have a bit of filler its usually fairly decent. Of course i'm well known for having FMP as my #1 series, and thats based off of a light novel series still ongoing, and that was done extremely well. More recent examples such as Haruhi have been well recieved by everywhere, and you also have Shakugan no Shana and most recently Kurenai and Spice & Wolf. The light novels themselves always add a lot more to the table too when you read them, its not like watching the anime again, as for starters it gives you a lot more in terms of descriptions, depth to characters, etc etc, so its always something worth reading.

Visual Novel -> Anime: Think these are on the rise in terms of how many there is now, popularity or otherwise, but they do bring about some nice adaptations. Ok as they are visual novels, 95% of them will be romance, but thats not a bad thing necessarily. Kanon was extremely enjoyable for starters and Clannad is certainly nice too. I wouldn't say its got the best adaptations, but they do have a fair few which are good when done right.

I think basically overall as said, i'm not to bothered so long as the quality is good enough to watch it, but it'd be nice seeing more anime originals and perhaps more light novel adaptations, as there is a lot out there which would make good anime series, even if they where only say 13 episodes long.

I'm not really that bothered, although an Anime made directly as Anime can be better because there is no trying to make the set pieces form another source work when they won't really work. But as has already been said Anime being done along side other ongoing materials can suffer from the dreaded filler.

Back