Anime Limited updates and ideas - DRR / Gurren edition

Mangaranga said:
anime_andrew said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I really wanted the Stars music video! ;_;
Whilst I can't speak for the Beez release, wasn't some of those extras also on the R1 Bandai release?
I know for sure that "Yoko goes to Gainax" is, and I also believe that the Marina Inoue Interview and Sazign 3DCG test footage was too.
If they've previously been on the DVD releases, why are they now locked out?

So do I on the Stars video ;___;!

What I am now in the process of doing is trying to see if anything is actually available there as they were used previously. But as you can see now that the BEI releases have been discontinued and the EU rights lapsed, the licensor controls all extras previously granted.

In short - we physically can't use extras if they are not supplied or permitted for use. I'm trying to see what the score is as it feels like there may be a misunderstanding at least for Yoko goes to Gainax and the other ones on US releases. To my knowledge (sadly) Stars was not under that umbrella though.

Leave it with me anyway as I'd noticed the same :).

AP

Quick follow-up - we're proceeding to authoring now and our general specs are:

- 4 x BD50s for the TV series from the HD masters
- 2 x BD50s for the Films & Parallel Works (I believe anyway, don't think it'd do on BD25s) from the HD masters

- Japanese 2.0 audio
- English 5.1 audio

Question though - was there ever actually a 5.1 Japanese release? I've searched every edition I can and each one indicates a 2.0 track was what was used on homevideo and the licensors has been unable to supply any 5.1 for Japanese.

I just am certain someone mentioned something on this before so figured I'd check if anyone remembered whilst there is time?

Just got a truckload of content for the artbook - watch this space too as we're waiting on the first draft of the box-art which will go to approval the immediate we receive it!

Very best,

Andrew

Man, trying to find technical specs for Japanese releases is really hard when you don't understand Japanese :lol:

I've had a quick look at various product listings on the net, and only the two movies seem to have had 5.1 Japanese mixes made available on DVD according to AniplexUSA's site here. I have no idea if the JP BD box's LPCM tracks for the movies are 5.1 though, I can't find that information anywhere. Don't suppose there's anyone here that imported it who could check? :p Fairly sure the TV series is Japanese 2.0 all the way though.

Again to emphasise, this is just based off some quick searching. Someone more knowledgeable than me should correct me.

I'm 99% sure that there isn't a 5.1 JP Audio track on any releases out there. Both Language tracks on the JP BD are 2.0 whilst it's 5.1 for the movies.
I'm under the impression that the audio for 99% of TV anime in Japan is Stereo anyway, whilst 5.1 tracks are usually reserved for films.

Mangaranga said:
I highly doubt that there would have been a 5.1 mix for the Japanese track. I'm under the impression that the audio for 99% of TV anime in Japan is Stereo, whilst 5.1 tracks are usually reserved for films.

That was my understanding too but I was sure someone was strongly suggesting there was one. The movies definitely have 5.1 and we have those tracks here though so no worries there.

Just do not want a project I am authoring to come back with something that could have been avoided if I'd just checked.

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
That was my understanding too but I was sure someone was strongly suggesting there was one. The movies definitely have 5.1 and we have those tracks here though so no worries there.

Just do not want a project I am authoring to come back with something that could have been avoided if I'd just checked.

Andrew
I remember that I asked you before whether the English audio would be 5.1 seeing as the same track on the JP BD is 2.0.
You're not thinking of that are you?

anime_andrew said:
- 2 x BD50s for the Films & Parallel Works (I believe anyway, don't think it'd do on BD25s) from the HD masters

- Japanese 2.0 audio
- English 5.1 audio

4 BD50's, nice. I'm sure Funimation and Sentai would use 2 BD50's and 2 BD25's for the same amount of episodes.

Please tell me the 5.1 is lossless, and could you let use know if the signs/song track is going to be there for the English audio. I know there is a signs/song track, as it's present on the Bandai DVD's I have.

I really hope the answer to both is yes.

Mangaranga said:
anime_andrew said:

Andrew
I remember that I asked you before whether the English audio would be 5.1 seeing as the same track on the JP BD is 2.0.
You're not thinking of that are you?

Ack - hodor. Very probably! The answer to which is yes the English audio is 5.1 :).

Best,

AP

Emulsion said:
anime_andrew said:

- Japanese 2.0 audio
- English 5.1 audio

4 BD50's, nice. I'm sure Funimation and Sentai would use 2 BD50's and 2 BD25's for the same amount of episodes.

Please tell me the 5.1 is lossless, and could you let use know if the signs/song track is going to be there for the English audio. I know there is a signs/song track, as it's present on the Bandai DVD's I have.

5.1 should be lossless as it's coming from the original mastering on disc but I will check :).

Re signs/song track, we weren't supplied one by the licensor, but I will go check out the existence of it for you and try to source it! This is why I ask these questions now while something can be done :).

Best,

Andrew

If you're open to other suggestions then Dennou Coil is one I'd love to see get a release. It already has a sub track courtesy of Siren a few years ago.

Pretty please :)

anime_andrew said:
5.1 should be lossless as it's coming from the original mastering on disc but I will check :).

Re signs/song track, we weren't supplied one by the licensor, but I will go check out the existence of it for you and try to source it! This is why I ask these questions now while something can be done :).

Best,

Andrew

In regards to the signs/song track. I have the original Bandai DVD's, not the Anipex DVD release. So I just checked them and there is definitely 2 subtitle tracks. The translation for the Japanese audio and a signs/song track for the English audio. Checking the discs, it translates the opening and closing song, the title, the episode title, the next episode preview and some text that comes up during the episodes. Skimming one of the episodes there was also some text that got translated.(it was one of the mech units name.)

Hope this info helps you.

I posted this at the other AL thread, but I'll repeat it here seeing as it was "missed"
Is it possible to get "Victorian Romance Emma"? If so is it possible to get it British dubbed?

Mohawk52 said:
I posted this at the other AL thread, but I'll repeat it here seeing as it was "missed"
Is it possible to get "Victorian Romance Emma"? If so is it possible to get it British dubbed?
Mai Mai Miracle is getting a US dub because apparently, a UK dub would cost about twice as much. So...

anime_andrew said:

Best,

Andrew

I've got the Japanese BD BOX and it doesn't have subs for the OP/ED. Couldn't believe it when I found out.

Joshawott said:
Mohawk52 said:
Mai Mai Miracle is getting a US dub because apparently, a UK dub would cost about twice as much. So...

I really liked the UK Arrietty dub so I hope we can get some stuff dubbed here.

anime_andrew said:
Emulsion said:
anime_andrew said:

- Japanese 2.0 audio
- English 5.1 audio

Best,

Andrew

Definitely need a signs/songs subtitle track. I go on murderous rampages when they don't show up. MURDEROUS.

Joshawott said:
So correct me if I'm wrong here, but I presumed Mai Mai Miracle is being marketed to the US as Well as UK. For that I can see why Andrew would want to have an American dub, but I would hazard a guess that even the yanks would appreciate a British dub for V.R.Emma, just like they did with Arriety, an adaptation of The Borrowers, because of the set location of the plot and story that Emma plays in. You seem to imply that kickstarting an Emma British dub would not be as successful. I'm more optimistic.

Back