Anime Limited updates and ideas - DRR / Gurren edition

ConanThe3rd said:
You can take a flying leap with the £150 box of GL if that's the only way I'm getting the movies and parallel works.

You see, that's the other debate we had - one way may be to be able to add Parallel Works at least to the TV series BD - but it depends on disc space etc.

I'm not convinced that the films + PW on their own as a package would sell very well given how they performed in the US + Australia though...

Any ideas / constructive suggestions :)?

Andrew

Ath said:
Thinking about the future, I remember you guys had trouble getting clearance for new extras on Perfect Blue. I'm now thinking of what Hong Kong Legends used to do, by doing their own really cool in-house commentaries and documentaries with Bey Logan. How much would it cost to drag someone like Jonathan Clements in to record an audio commentary or something? :p

Verrrrry tempted to do this - just waiting on the right title for the chance :p!

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
Ath said:
Thinking about the future, I remember you guys had trouble getting clearance for new extras on Perfect Blue. I'm now thinking of what Hong Kong Legends used to do, by doing their own really cool in-house commentaries and documentaries with Bey Logan. How much would it cost to drag someone like Jonathan Clements in to record an audio commentary or something? :p

Verrrrry tempted to do this - just waiting on the right title for the chance :p!

Andrew
Maybe try and get a bunch of university professor types to analyse Kill la Kill. I'm finding it difficult enough to describe to my friends (in a good way) and I'd like to see what kind of weird conclusions and "deeper meanings" they draw out of it xD.

Will Durarara!! contain both the OVAs?

Regarding Gurren Lagann, I would happily pay extra for the movies & parallel works. Either on their own or with the boxset.

Also I agree, when announcing the sets you need to state that there will be a standard edition blu-ray set released later on down the line. Perhaps have it up for pre order at the same time to stop people asking you a million questions about it.

By the way, thank you for creating an ultimate edition set. I really hope that this sells well for you guys and you do more of them in the future. Sadly I've only seen the first episode of Gurren Lagann before so I'm not sure if I am willing to spend £150 on a 'blind buy', but just wanted you to know that I appreciate the effort.

anime_andrew said:
ConanThe3rd said:
You can take a flying leap with the £150 box of GL if that's the only way I'm getting the movies and parallel works.

You see, that's the other debate we had - one way may be to be able to add Parallel Works at least to the TV series BD - but it depends on disc space etc.

I'm not convinced that the films + PW on their own as a package would sell very well given how they performed in the US + Australia though...

Any ideas / constructive suggestions :)?

Andrew

So does this mean I'll never be able to get PW/Movies seperate ever at all? (I already have the complete series set on DVD btw)

I prefer to have complete sets HOWEVER the packaging you use is so lovely that I'm not bothered by having parts when it comes to you guys, but yeah, much prefer complete sets and would be willing to shell out the dolla to get it.
I've seen many a people on social media wanting complete set's, so I do believe that's the way forward.

I'm a collector at heart so the Ultimate Edition GL set would be fine by me, I would pay that much for it, no doubt about it.
Promotion on that set would go a long way too (though, you guys are good at that already!) I know importation is frowned upon by many but I know that in the state's all the news about the GL set's excited a fair amount of people, considering how much it is over there and the possibility (& now reality) of it being cheaper.

I guess with the PW/Movies, they could be released separately once the LE set is OOP? depending on sales and what not? Dunno..

I agree with another poster though, it must be tough! cause you're always going to get people who'll complain & that's their given right but hell, I would get really irritated lol.. I can imagine you posting about the GL sets on facebook and having a ton of people saying they won't buy it and asking for a regular BD set ..then they'll say its all too much, etc etc blah blah etc etc ..and that's sorta where the issue is, I can see why waiting out on releasing a regular BD set makes sense, In fact I agree with doing just that, It seems more cost effective to me but I dob't believe the reaction of less .. hardcore fans will be all that great..

ConanThe3rd said:
I just want the content. I could care less about the fru fru nonsense that it comes in, especially when I'm being asked three figures for it.

Thats why they'd release a standard set at a later date (or on same date) for the £69.99 SRP.

if you're on about getting all the on disc content, you have to realise that premium content requires premium pricing, plus companies have to be seen to justify higher price tags so having content exclusive to one higher priced SKU is a way to do this.

Once again, I think that it's very important to have an affordably priced option out there on the market at some point. It makes it more attractive as a purchase for those who haven't seen it before, whilst it expands the audience for both this title and for anime in general.

However, I think it's also important for this affordable option to be Blu-ray. I've seen some companies (guess who) use DVD as this SKU, treating Blu-ray as a luxury premium. It's 2013, and Blu-ray is 7 years old now. In this era of HDTV, it should be the standard home media format. Of course the combination of authoring costs and Sony's licensing fees has really been getting in the way of that, which is really short sighted of them...but I digress.

In my ideal world, the only difference between a premium priced edition and a standard mainstream edition would be packaging and the extra physical goods, with on-disc content matching. Since I buy home media for the on-disc content first, with anything else being a bonus, that's the way I'd want it anyway. :lol: Of course we live in a world now where on-disc content is divided up piecemeal for retailer exclusives whilst important special features are held back for the 3D release only...but that's a rant for another day :p

I definitely agree with the idea of releasing the amaray basic version of GL about six months after the Ultimate version, but I feel that it should be both the BD and DVD versions that are delayed and not just the BD as suggested in this thread. I just think the BD sales would suffer if the DVD gets released first, but then I'm no expert on such things. As for the ultimate edition, it's not something I will be buying as I've never seen GL, and even the basic version will be a low priority for me. That said, I hope it sells well so the idea can be used again in future releases. What I do wonder about is how well Princess Jellyfish sold as it's the most recent 'special edition' release and is probably the best way of seeing if there is a market for expensive releases in the UK.

To give a little context, I have roughly £120/month for dvds/books/games/figures/etc. This means that any ultimate edition I buy will be a significant investment and will have to be something I know I really like (something like Garden of Sinners, hint hint) so most of my purchases will be the 'basic' versions.

As for DRRR, I still have the Beez sets so the upcoming release would be a double dip. I will get it at some point. It's really the Perfect Blue BD and the Shinkai collection that hold my interest right now.

anime_andrew said:
britguy said:
I love the ideas Andrew but we all know that anime fans are some of the hardest to please and I can only imagine that sooooo many will see the individual price points for Durarara and say "woah what the hell, an anime series for £70? I can buy 4 sets of Bleach or Naruto for that price (admittedly the hevily reduced sets at say £10 a pop), maybe more, i'll wait until it's discounted to the bargain bin".

It's two different markets mostly - we'll come back and address the budget market in due course and they'll be able to buy it then when it's in an Amaray bog-standard package and that's absolutely fine too. The current business model of most of home entertainment revolves around skipping straight to that stage and sliding down the prices there - which removes the chance to put something really shiny on the shelves.

It's a tough tight-rope to walk but it'll earn us no more ire than exists just now for other companies doing the reverse I suppose and we're not snubbing the cheap market, just asking for some understanding why it does not start in that kind of formula by and large. Hope that makes sense ^^;;

Looks like you beat me too it, long running shonen shows that churn out a ton of episodes for a low price are a very different beast from the 13-26 episode series.

Stick to your quality product plan and at a price that'll make you a profit, the fans that want these titles will buy them and you can do a budget release later if it's viable.

britguy said:
ConanThe3rd said:
I just want the content. I could care less about the fru fru nonsense that it comes in, especially when I'm being asked three figures for it.

Thats why they'd release a standard set at a later date (or on same date) for the £69.99 SRP.

if you're on about getting all the on disc content, you have to realise that premium content requires premium pricing, plus companies have to be seen to justify higher price tags so having content exclusive to one higher priced SKU is a way to do this.
Unless that £69 box set comes with the parallel works then that's me having to buy the silly fru fru edition that I do not want destroying a sizable chunk of my paycheck, to say nothing of shelf space in order to not get Parallel Works.

The Movies are a sad loss if that's the case but the original content being gated under the Aniplex model would be a grave disappointment.

Finally, just have all format SKUs out at the same time; I don't like being punished for not paying Aniplex prices. Formats are a different issue because that's a whole different fabrication process and I get that so I don't begrudge basically what happened with CB as far as formats go.

So you want the disc content of the premium edition but don't want to pay the premium price? how much then would you pay for all the on disc content of the premium edition but in a standard set taking in to consideration that a series alone has an SRP of £69.99. You can't expect all that extra stuff to be bundled in for nothing.

Why should I pay another £70 for two recap movies and several (albeit very well done, that one about Gimmy walking around in the buff and the clouds one besides) Music videos.

Because after that, all you're paying for a is a flashier box and whatever feelies that get shoved in that will, no doubt, end up in a drawer somewhere and be worth as little in five years when you finally fish them out.

Concidering all in all it's two and a bit movies, that really only invites an additional £30 at most.

Although I already own the Aniplex Durarara boxset and don't have any interest in Gurren Lagann, I'm certainly liking the ideas you've presented us with, Andrew. If this approach works out for you in the long run and you apply it to later releases, I'll definitely be investing in them.

I'm echoing similar sentiments to britguy, but I do think that a certain level of 'exclusivity' has to be maintained when it comes to the higher-priced releases - in this case the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Set. I'm not sure an artbook alone would be reason enough to buy such a release, but disc content that isn't available to the lower pricing tiers most likely would, the caveat being the obvious, "Is it disc content I want?" Movies and OVAs certainly are the kind of content I want, so I have no qualms with this style of product. An artbook, no matter how pretty, is not worth £80 (the difference between the Ultimate and regular BD editions), so gated content seems a no-brainer to me.

Furthermore, I think holding back on releasing the regular BD edition would be a wise move - it's not like complainers are going to be able to import a cheaper BD from anywhere else in protest. I'm sounding like an Aniplex executive, so I'll stop there. :p

Holding back on a product because someone chooses not to buy the stupid expensive edition is a punishment and to punish your customers is to have no customers especially given how said customers can, 9 times out of 10, up and get the content illicitly (Or even legally!) from the internet.

At the end of the day, this will all rest on what mask Anime Ltd. gives themselves.

Are they reasonable and provide a Special Edition at an inflated rate with some incentive (Feelies, Recap Movies) with a Regular Edition for those who just want to see the damn show released at the same time or are they Bandai Visual, dead set on getting the rich dollar and getting the rest if/when it suits them (which is about a year after they've gone out of business)?

They can try to be Aniplex but the reason they can get away with being c'ts is the fact that their US office is a convenient side-effect of their JP production (Quite literally selling JP releases at JP Prices to a US Market of X thousand madmen with more money than sense) and to attempt what you suggest will only paint them as the bad guy and the pirates who offer the product for nil to be the good guys.

AntAce said:
Furthermore, I think holding back on releasing the regular BD edition would be a wise move - it's not like complainers are going to be able to import a cheaper BD from anywhere else in protest. I'm sounding like an Aniplex executive, so I'll stop there. :p
I've got no nice words for you. Your ethos is that of poison.

Conan you seem dead set against the ideas Andrew has raised and this is a fine point about the state of fandom, you cannot and will not please everyone.

If someone has the inclination to torrent then a 69.99 price tag will put them off just as much as the LE price tag.

The way i see it is that if the movie and parallel works Are only made available in the LE set then a) it helps justify the price b) actally makes the set more desirable and c) makes the set a true collectors item as the films etc cannot be obtained elsewhere

If Andrew and Anime Limited do not thing there is enough demand to sell the films and music videos separately then they are not just going to put out a product to lose money. With your suggestion of Combining the series films and parallel works into one 99.99 standard set, you would then probably find many people priced out of buying the set as it is no longer just the cost of two half season boxes.

This then creates an environment where to get the series in to as many hands as possible then 69.99 price is needed but finacially AL cannot include the extras for this cost. Releasing the extras as one separate set could potentially backfire for them due to low sales for what you call two recap movies and some music videos.

You know what? Sod the movies and the music videos. Lock them away in the Stupid Expensive box where only five people will buy them. I'll pour the scorn that is deserving of such a business practice because it is one that invites it but if that's how it's going to go then fine. Scorn for Extras.

I just want to know that I will be able to have my pre-order ready to go come April and get the boxset for the price I'm willing to deal (Which is looking like 69 and no movie / parallel works) at that time. If I'm sitting here this time next year and they've only just gotten the Regular Edition out then I won't buy it at all. The price I'm willing to deal with is £69 and no movies/Music videos, not that and a six (or any for that matter) month levey because I didn't destroy my bank account to get the Special Edition.

This is all just hypothesising at the moment, nothing is set in stone. We are but a handful of voices in the Anime domain, i bet dozens more are crying foul of a 69.99 standard price.

We'll just have to wait and see what decisions are made. Maybe AL should look into a 2-3 month presell. List the contents and price of the LE set before it enters production, see how many bite and pay. If its an amount that bodes well for a full release then put it in to full production, if not then bail on the release, refund purchases and stick with standard.

It might very well be but I will not sit here and let stupid ideas fester until it's too late to oust them.

ANd as for that RRP, that's about how much Bebop cost, at RRP, correct?

Back