Anime Limited Pushes Kill la Kill Blu-Ray Back To 1st December

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
At last weekend's MCM London Comic Con, advance copies of the first DVD and blu-ray volume&nbsp;of Studio Trigger's<strong>&nbsp;Kill la Kill</strong>&nbsp;were sold at the stand of the series' UK distributor, Anime Limited. Since the event though, forum member&nbsp;<strong>Mangaranga&nbsp;</strong>noticed a very slight delay with episode 4's English dub track.

After confirming the error, the distributator has announced that the blu-ray release of the volume has been pushed back to&nbsp;<strong>1st December</strong>. The DVD version however, is unaffected and is still on course for a&nbsp;<strong>3rd November</strong>&nbsp;release.

Source

Re: Anime Limited Pushes Kill la Kill Blu-Ray Back To 1st De

So much for that supremely expensive release being high quality...

Claw said:

Wait, what? Surely it is as we're fixing it before it even comes out - showing a much higher dedication to quality than people who release standard editions only. Case in point du jour: The Devil is a Part Timer...

Best,

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
Claw said:

Wait, what? Surely it is as we're fixing it before it even comes out - showing a much higher dedication to quality than people who release standard editions only. Case in point du jour: The Devil is a Part Timer...

Best,

Andrew
I know I would rather wait and get a version that works properly.

Claw said:

Sounds more like a swipe at the price than the problem, which only a handful of convention buyers have to put up with as it'll be fixed by the time it hits retail. (And I know that those buyers will be offered replacement discs if they want them)

Not even AL's fault, given the authoring house put there hands up as the source of the problem.

If the problem is fixed it's all good to my mind...

I wont be watching it until i have it all anyway so a part 1 delay is small beer

More delays = sad me. Oh well. Got nothing to watch now until Space Dandy. Fingers crossed that isn't delayed!

anime_andrew said:
Claw said:

Best,

Andrew

Shots fired!

Can one release I want from AL just happen without a mountain of delays and/or printing screw-ups?

Cuz I'm really thinking I'll just go DTO (and damn the dub) from now on if this is what's going to keep happening.

ConanThe3rd said:
Can one release I want from AL just happen without a mountain of delays and/or printing screw-ups?

Cuz I'm really thinking I'll just go DTO (and damn the dub) from now on if this is what's going to keep happening.

In the grand scheme of things this is still ahead of the original release date :)

ConanThe3rd said:

As pointed out - we're still a week ahead of the initial release date so it's hardly a loss. In fact given we had everything to hand and it's going into people's retail copies AND all done before initial set date of December 8th, we're not doing too badly all in all :).

Sorry to have dangled the carrot of hyper-close release in folks faces, but best do this proper and all :).

Re the printing mistakes, I'll come round anyone's discs with a sharpie and correct the discs by hand if they offend anyone that much (you've all seen my artwork and writing, you know how that will end...) Alternatively will have someone check my own projects before sending next time!

AP

anime_andrew said:
Re the printing mistakes, I'll come round anyone's discs with a sharpie and correct the discs by hand if they offend anyone that much (you've all seen my artwork and writing, you know how that will end...) Alternatively will have someone check my own projects before sending next time!

AP
You should do a limited print run of Kill La Kill: Very Acceptable Edition discs as replacements :D
Major props to you for fixing something like this. I do feel like I owe you as you're doing it out of your own pocket yet again though.

Anyone who complains about a company actually fixing a BD glitch (especially one not caused by them) instead of telling customers to live with it as has happened on - oh, every BD fault to date from a certain UK distributor, is officially nuts. There are no words. Mistakes happen, and this way all the people who preordered from a store - wherever they live - get it fixed without lifting a finger.

Well done, Anime Limited. Thank you for taking reports from concerned customers seriously and for fighting to get things put right for us instead of sitting back and letting a series get a bad release. I hope lots of fans get some Kill la Kill in their Christmas stockings this year.

R

anime_andrew said:
Alternatively will have someone check my own projects before sending next time!

AP

Sounds wise, with things being busy everyone needs a bit of back up, even the boss.

Sad that this is seen as a bad thing, and another sleight against AL.

The short delay is fine with me.

I don't mind this at all, because I can now ask for Kill la Kill as a Christmas pressie ^_^

anime_andrew said:
Claw said:

Best,

Andrew

You're fixing a problem which shouldn't exist. Where is your quality control? You knock on a competitor, and sure, props for you fixing a minor problem real fast here... but can you really bash Manga when you guys are still screwing up, no matter how slightly? Whole UK industry is still looking pretty stuck in the mud to me. Disappointing.

Claw said:
anime_andrew said:
Claw said:

Best,

Andrew

You're fixing a problem which shouldn't exist. Where is your quality control? You knock on a competitor, and sure, props for you fixing a minor problem real fast here... but can you really bash Manga when you guys are still screwing up, no matter how slightly? Whole UK industry is still looking pretty stuck in the mud to me. Disappointing.

Wow. Negative Nancy or what. Try looking at the positives instead of just the bad.

If the UK industry is that bad then just import. I'll stay and buy the uk AL releases ;)

Every distributor has problem discs, right the way up to the biggest companies in Hollywood. In the US, every single anime company has discs with faults I can easily recall, whether they're called FUNimation, NISA, Media Blasters, Sentai, Aniplex of America or Discotek. I've written actual complaint letters to companies as big as Universal for shoddy DVDs in the past. There's probably no such thing as a perfect disc, it's just people don't care about tiny imperfections (as an extreme example, in this case I'd never have noticed the problem since I don't watch dubs and have everything hooked up in mono*).

While the mislabelling is human error (and one Andrew has to be rather sensitive about at this point) he's explained that the disc was QCed and the materials made correctly for Kill la Kill, but there was a problem with the master created by the professional BD replication outfit they used and a glitch of some kind was introduced. The fact that they're turning a fix around so quickly at this busy time of year (the fault was only mentioned at the weekend) shows they're taking it seriously, and they are being more responsive and open than any company I have ever dealt with.

We live in a country where other distributors will, in absolute seriousness, tell us to just deal with it when a show has audio so badly mistimed it's unwatchable, or content is missing, or a known bug is reported to them several months before release and subsequently ignored because nobody can be bothered to look into it. Anime Limited may focus on premium releases, but if I'm parting with even a penny of my hard-earned cash I want all distributors to take their releases seriously, not just those with a 'premium' label. If Andrew is clearly working well into the nights and listening to us so patiently, complaining about the one company which is trying to treat anime fans with a level of respect they've literally never been given before in this country just feels like biting the hand which feeds us. If we treat Anime Limited badly for trying to make everything right at their expense and without any fans having to go to the trouble of submitting a replacement request or posting discs around the country, what on earth are we going to end up with? What are other anime companies learning from watching this?

Honestly, I'm pretty happy to hear the anecdote about the Anime Limited staff all sitting around and poring over the discs during QC. I'm pretty sure some other distributors don't even watch their discs at all if they've let some of the bizarre bugs we've had in the past through - and if they were the fault of third parties too, why on earth are they never fixed? We've put up with people looking the other way and letting the customer take the punishment for far too long.

R

* I apologise deeply to the audiophiles out there for my crimes against their luxurious surround sound systems.

Rui said:
Honestly, I'm pretty happy to hear the anecdote about the Anime Limited staff all sitting around and poring over the discs during QC. I'm pretty sure some other distributors don't even watch their discs at all if they've let some of the bizarre bugs we've had in the past through - and if they were the fault of third parties too, why on earth are they never fixed? We've put up with people looking the other way and letting the customer take the punishment for far too long.

Un-Go and Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere Blu-rays spring to mind (with strange faults).

I remember MangaUK cancelling Disappearence of Haruhi Suzumiya Blu-ray because it did not work on PS3 Consoles after a QC, yet Un-Go didn't work on 'any' Panasonic Blu-ray players - I think they offered a replacement set by way of an apology though?

Horizon didn't have any audio on my Samsung BD Players, never heard anything back so I ended up selling them on.

But I agree it's interesting seeing AL pouring so much involvement into the QC of their releases (and involving the community etc)

Back