Anime Limited Pushes Kill la Kill Blu-Ray Back To 1st December

Re: Anime Limited Pushes Kill la Kill Blu-Ray Back To 1st De

Claw said:
anime_andrew said:
Claw said:
So much for that supremely expensive release being high quality...

Wait, what? Surely it is as we're fixing it before it even comes out - showing a much higher dedication to quality than people who release standard editions only. Case in point du jour: The Devil is a Part Timer...

Best,

Andrew

You're fixing a problem which shouldn't exist. Where is your quality control? You knock on a competitor, and sure, props for you fixing a minor problem real fast here... but can you really bash Manga when you guys are still screwing up, no matter how slightly? Whole UK industry is still looking pretty stuck in the mud to me. Disappointing.

So the people who bought a pre-release copy got a slightly glitched one which was not caused by AL and you're moaning. Get your head out of your ****. The new release date is still earlier than the original one anyway.

Rui said:
Anyone who complains about a company actually fixing a BD glitch (especially one not caused by them) instead of telling customers to live with it as has happened on - oh, every BD fault to date from a certain UK distributor, is officially nuts. There are no words. Mistakes happen, and this way all the people who preordered from a store - wherever they live - get it fixed without lifting a finger.

I'm 100% with Rui on this.

Now, let's make no bones about this - I'm squarely of the opinion that of you ask money for a product, it should be fit to release without issues. BUT... working freelance in comics as I have for the last four years, I appreciate that this isn't always a given. Production processes for the stuff we love to entertain ourselves with are LOADED with opportunities for things to go wrong and for errors to creep in.

I can understand the frustrations expressed here by some, as QC does seem to be a bit rough and ready in some corners of the anime biz. But Andrew is addressing this problem as far as anyone could ask him to. He's actually having it fixed.

To this I say: Well done sir, and thanks. You run a classy operation.

Nothing else to say but:

2ij5eon.jpg

People aren't perfect, and never will be. That's why human error exists.

I can understand the annoyances over glitches and errors - it's only natural in a fanbase like this. God, I remember the days when I'd re-buy magazines/CDs etc. just because the covers had got slightly scratched/scuffed.

But there comes a point where you reach a limit and realise sometimes things can't be helped. I know if I worried about every single little glitch on every DVD I got through the door I'd never be able to actually enjoy anything I watched, or have time to enjoy it.

Claw said:
anime_andrew said:
You're fixing a problem which shouldn't exist. Where is your quality control? You knock on a competitor, and sure, props for you fixing a minor problem real fast here... but can you really bash Manga when you guys are still screwing up, no matter how slightly? Whole UK industry is still looking pretty stuck in the mud to me. Disappointing.

Battery QC testing ala Hollywood is only really viable when you print at least in excess of 25,000 - 50,000+ copies of something (the costs beneath that are just too crazy). This means our QC system is human and in two stages - the Authoring House and our own team. Most in our industry only have the first stage given time requirements on staff and yes it means we've had to train people in-house up to do it so yes sometimes issues slip but we get better on a day-by-day basis at this task so you'll get to a point by next year where there's only gripes and no flaws.

Should an error have been there to begin with? Nope - but very often the very final QC test is the fans sadly in our industry - not a great thing but almost a necessity alas. When problems are found in the last stage, how you deal with it is what defines you as a person and a company really.

So I wasn't bashing Manga when I mentioned the error - I just think it's fair to point out that much bigger problems can skip by unchecked with minimal impact on them overall. In our case, while this was a small error (and yes it was an error, not a fix to anything) - we reacted on fans comments and before any stock went to retail so only a limited cross-section of advanced copies were impacted at MCM.

I'd call that a win for the fans and a win for the industry as opposed to being stuck in the mud :). Either way on it hope it doesn't put you off too much - I'd like to think it means you can at least discuss with us if there's an irk and the above is proof we do listen :).

Speak soon!

Andrew

Hey, if you need us quality checkers again (a la Gurren Lagann) no matter how small the project, I'm sure we'd be happy to help if possible. I know I myself am happy to help anytime.

Major props for fixing this, and shocking to know it has to come out of your own pocket. I can't imagine how frustrating this is on your guys' part and would presume the authoring house would be party responsible. I think sometimes people forget that AL are a relatively new company and are showing major dedication to their customers for fixing these problems as soon as they practically can! I was shocked to see the cost of the Durarara fixes, so it's certainly not something they would take lightly and does (to a degree) put into perspective why some companies do not fix some of the issues they have.

Does the delay have a knock on effect for Part 2?

Elaniel said:
Hey, if you need us quality checkers again (a la Gurren Lagann) no matter how small the project, I'm sure we'd be happy to help if possible. I know I myself am happy to help anytime.

Major props for fixing this, and shocking to know it has to come out of your own pocket. I can't imagine how frustrating this is on your guys' part and would presume the authoring house would be party responsible. I think sometimes people forget that AL are a relatively new company and are showing major dedication to their customers for fixing these problems as soon as they practically can! I was shocked to see the cost of the Durarara fixes, so it's certainly not something they would take lightly and does (to a degree) put into perspective why some companies do not fix some of the issues they have.

Does the delay have a knock on effect for Part 2?

For fixing it ourselves - it's not shocking at all, it's how it should be :). It's just good to make people aware it's not free or magical - there's costs to us and we take that very very seriously :).

No knock-on impact to Part 2 either :).

AP

Perhaps I use the word shocking far too much. I would have PRESUMED the authoring house would have been partly responsible as they do the QC. Good to know Part 2 will not be affected.

One thing which upsets me when other distributors release flawed discs is when they don't even make the series available through other legal means. I can understand a company not being able to stump up thousands and thousands of pounds to fix a tiny blink-and-you'll-miss-it problem, but in many cases the discs are unwatchable and yet the distributor has (or has access to) the streaming rights. If Anime Limited hadn't been able to fix it this time, it would be some consolation that it was still possible to download or stream Kill la Kill legally throughout the period of uncertainty. Fans of other shows have to brush up on their importing knowledge or go without their favourites due to the paranoid exclusivity culture we have in this industry. Many will use it as an excuse to pirate, which causes further damage down the line.

(Since I'm making so many snarky comments about that certain other anime distributor, I'd like to also give props to MVM for being responsive on BD faults when they can reasonably get them fixed, and at least paying attention to known problems before replicating the discs and sealing a series' fate in this region forever. It's also possible to watch most MVM titles on Crunchyroll etc as they don't mess with streaming rights. I'd like what MVM does to be the bare minimum I'd expect from our distributors, but it's not and I appreciate the personal effort they put in too.)

R

AL are my favourite UK distributor at the moment, by some distance.

My copy of HAL arrived at the weekend, another fantastic/beautiful CE. I really wish the likes of AoT, Steins;Gate and Guilty Crown had gotten the kind of TLC that is now synonymous with pretty much every AL release.

Even though I've not been interested in the majority of titles released yet, I still find myself wishing my favourites get picked up by AL rather than anyone else. I know I'll get quality that way, and I'll be informed about it, get to see lovely pictures of the set and have Andrew here if I had any questions.

I received HAL today, and it's the first limited set I've bought from AL. It's made me incredibly happy this morning, it's truly lovely.

Half the things people complain about, I don't have a clue what they mean or don't notice such things (but that's just down to me not really knowing about them), but everyone knows they can go to AL if something goes wrong, so they do. They know that they won't be ignored and the odds are high that something will be done about what they ask. Or at least a detailed explanation of what's been happening, which is very much appreciated. Delays are a frustrating business all round it seems. Andrew works so hard and stays so polite throughout this. We all should be so grateful to Andrew, I know I am.

Thank you Andrew, I think you're doing fantastic.

Edit: Now I keep looking at the pictures of this set and I am being severely tempted by how nice it looks. Even though I know nothing about the show :lol:

Amusingly, my biggest QC confusion is a comic book, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. When I bought it, I found that a couple of the pages had been bound out of order...

But it's signed by the artist. QC Error, or priceless rarity?

Just Passing Through said:
Amusingly, my biggest QC confusion is a comic book, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. When I bought it, I found that a couple of the pages had been bound out of order...

At risk of derailing things here - I'd say QC error AND priceless rarity! I'm actually off to try and hunt a copy down now if I can, loved the old point and click game as a kid so am keen on seeing the comic now..

Andrew

anime_andrew said:

At risk of derailing things here - I'd say QC error AND priceless rarity! I'm actually off to try and hunt a copy down now if I can, loved the old point and click game as a kid so am keen on seeing the comic now..

Andrew

If it's just the story you want (in the right order), then the Indiana Jones Omnibus Volume 1 has it, and is still reasonably priced.

EDIT: OMG! I just found out that someone's updated some Lucasarts games to run on modern PCs, including Fate of Atlantis!

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&devpub=lucasfilm&page=1

Anyone in the mood for Secret of Monkey Island?

All I'm saying is that I want something I want from AL not to be have with some sort of error that bumps the thing around the calendar (or six months up the calender as par a certain show about Outlaws that I could mention) and at this point even a small bump is very irritating but I'm getting the impression that makes me some sort of dick so eh, whatever.

anime_andrew said:

Andrew

If it's just the story you want (in the right order), then the Indiana Jones Omnibus Volume 1 has it, and is still reasonably priced.

EDIT: OMG! I just found out that someone's updated some Lucasarts games to run on modern PCs, including Fate of Atlantis!

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&devpub=lucasfilm&page=1

Anyone in the mood for Secret of Monkey Island?

Sam & Max is there too! I suspect I know what I'll be doing now...

Whelp, so much for more work time!

Andrew,
Pointing and Clicking

And thus Just Passing Through singlehandedly brought the UK anime industry to a standstill :D

R

At the risk of taking this even further off course, ScummVM has been making it possible to play the old LucasArts games for more than a decade now. Just sayin'.

ConanThe3rd said:
Or, or. You can get work done by watching the cartoon instead.

Dancing is forbidden.

Oh man - if I could have one license from outside of anime right now, it'd be that one!

Now I know what to do tonight!

Andrew

Back