Anime Limited & MVM's 12 Days of Christmas 2020: 1st-12th Dec | 9:30am MVM, 5:00pm AL

Nothing for me today. Already own every single one of these with the exception of Log Horizon, Nozaki-kun and Sword Oratoria.
I do second the recommendation of Flip Flappers, Girls Last Tour and Princess Principal though. Great shows!

I would of been tempted to buy the Log Horizon set but with now s3 on the way and i already own the mvm parts i will pass for a more complete collection later down the road. The price is still a little to steep for me.
I doubt we'll see a complete collection from MVM as Funimation have Season 3. Think Sentai's license to the first two seasons has expired iirc so unless Funimation licenses those and Manga considers it then it's pretty unlikely

Urgh no offense to the hard workers at MVM but their Synopsis can never really sell me.

Log Horizon sounds like it's a Sword Art Online clone
Flip Flappers sounds like a generic magical girl show
Girls Last Tour and Princess Principal are the more original ones but I still don't know anything about them.

I would really recommend Flip Flappers and Girls' Last Tour having seen both, FF is certainly not generic (though it has got quite a lot of fanservice content so be careful if you're watching it around sensitive family members/etc).

Urgh no offense to the hard workers at MVM but their Synopsis can never really sell me.

Girls Last Tour and Princess Principal are the more original ones but I still don't know anything about them.
I mean I would say those 4 shows are best 4 shows on offer today. Log Horizon is far superior to SAO as far as I'm concerned. It spends a lot more time going into the detail of rebuilding a life and society in the game world. Also it's more like overlord in the sense of the game world coming to life than simply being trapped in a game.

I'm no expert on the magical girl genre but Fip Flappers never felt generic to me. It was weird and wonderful and could be emotional at times and is an absolute visual treat.

Girls last tour is a great original story. It can be quite slow but it's very charming and manages to have some real hope in an otherwise bleak setting.

Princess Principle is a lot of fun. I watched it knowing nothing and had a great time. Fun stories with a great cast. Also it's probably the best CE MVM have done in terms of content you get with it.

Can't really blame MVM as they get their synopsis from the US companies. It's a shame since Flip Flappers, Princess Principal and Girls Last Tour are really fantastic shows. Also heard great stuff about Log Horizon too

Also just wanna say Girls' Last Tour has a bit of a "what if Made in Abyss was crossed with Kino's Journey and was a slice of life/less intense and more laidback?" thing going on IMO, if that piques anyone's interest :)

As much as like Girls Last Tour, Nozaki Kun and Princess Principal I would still put Eccentric Family above those personally. However, It doesn't seem like a good seller, so almost zero chance we're getting season 2.

Monogatari clearly the best show on offer today though.

I would really recommend Flip Flappers and Girls' Last Tour having seen both, FF is certainly not generic (though it has got quite a lot of fanservice content so be careful if you're watching it around sensitive family members/etc).
Oh yes I'm certain it's just the synopsis making it come accross as such. The problem is I'm reliant on the synopsis because I don't have much experience with these shows :)

I doubt we'll see a complete collection from MVM as Funimation have Season 3. Think Sentai's license to the first two seasons has expired iirc so unless Funimation licenses those and Manga considers it then it's pretty unlikely
Log Horizon was a huge seller for Sentai as so was for MVM to a degree, Funimation got log horizon s3 as they knew it will sell, they probably paid extra to get it along with s1 and s2 so to ensure they got the rights, so im pretty confidant they will come out as a set later down the road even its not from mvm.

For the four EBs I'm most interested in to acquire, I have a good guess on which is likely to sell out the most.

4th place: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory - £34.99 (£31.50 at 10% off)
While offering a unique take on the drama content and being the first to have a legal way to own a crucial story arc, this is still the fourth season of an anime and many are probably not too bothered to get it. It's basically down to the fans and those overseas who want to own more FMP content legally.

3rd place: Planetes - £34.99 (£31.50 at 10% off)
It's a license rescue which is great and on Blu-ray for the first time in any English territory. However, I do think it's not as widely known as the other Sunrise titles like The Vision of Escaflowne or Gundam. Now I still place this 3rd because its got the support of MediaOCD and the original story is from the creator of VINLAND SAGA so that might get more attention that I suggest.

2nd place: Cyber City Oedo 808 - £24.99 (£22.50 at 10% off)
Another license rescue and also a cult classic of sorts that would appeal to both the older audiences and those who love experiencing retro anime in HD. The collector's edition comes with interesting stuff that would also attract more folks and its price tag is also more appealing to many.

1st place: Millennium Actress - £24.99 (£22.50 at 10% off)
Many reasons why I consider this to be the first to sell out the most - it's a license rescue, it's from Satoshi Kon, it's on Blu-ray and most importantly is the first 4K Ultra HD release in any region. If you saw how Weathering With You did (which sold 1000 units in under 24 hours), this may likely happen again and not to mention it's price is also very attractive.

Now it's entirely possible the Re:ZERO complete series CE or others could sell out first but these four I am more convinced are the big ones of the 11 EBs coming.

Back