Anime Limited licenses Martian Successor Nadesico for Blu-ray!

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Yay!

Martian Successor Nadesico is a classic 90s sci-fi mecha comedy series, and Nozomi just announced plans to release the series on Blu-ray. Anime Limited are following suit, and I believe this is one of Jeremy Graves' favourite titles. Much like the Nozomi release, the UK version will include the TV series, Movie (Prince of Darkness), Gekigangar 3 OVA and the bonus content.

5 discs in total - 4 Blu-rays for the TV series & Movie, 1 DVD for the Gekigangar OVA.

Nadesico is 4:3 and the movie is 16:9, both are remastered in HD. Gekigangar doesn't have a Blu-ray master so as such it will be on DVD only, same as the US.

Last edited:
Trailer:

I've heard of this show, but I wasn't sure what it was. However, that 37 second trailer alone was enough to sell me on the entire show. Awesome cell animated mechs? I'm in!

Ah Nadesico. I always thought it was an overrated show but I did enjoy it. It was one of those shows where elitist fans would accuse you of "not getting it" if you had anything disparaging to say.

Glad to see a Blu-ray release though. I'm guessing it'll be a full on triple figure UE release so I'll wait for the eventual standard edition.

Ah Nadesico. I always thought it was an overrated show but I did enjoy it. It was one of those shows where elitist fans would accuse you of "not getting it" if you had anything disparaging to say.

Glad to see a Blu-ray release though. I'm guessing it'll be a full on triple figure UE release so I'll wait for the eventual standard edition.

The FAQ says it'll be CE and SE, no UE.

Nadesico has been on my ptw list for a while now, I may just end up picking this up. Have to say the PV looked great, nice crisp clean animation seems to translate well to HD.

Yes! Delighted with this announcement! I still remember watching Nadesico back-to-back with Evangelion on Saiko Exciting on the Sci Fi Channel in the early 00s. This is definitely a must buy for me.

This for me is a big deal. Nadesico was one of the very first anime series I ever purchased, so for Anime Limited to release the Blu-Ray version is wonderful.

I didn't even particularly enjoy it, so I'll be passing on the Blu-ray. Good news for those who did, however.

Count me in with the people who remember watching it on the Sci-Fi Channel in the late 90s/early 00s. That being said, I can't remember much about it, which means I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. Certainly due a re-watch anyway, so count me in!

I remember this being insanely popular back in the day! Never really clicked with me (also, I liked the movie which I believe makes me deeply evil or something). Still, good to see it back in circulation. I have the ancient ADV singles which weren't too good.

R

I got the Right Stuf DVD remaster version a few years back, which looked pretty neat cleaned up, the original Japanese screen text, bright, shiny colours, a fair transfer, better than what I'd seen of the ADV release. The only problem is that it wasn't a progressive transfer, and playback could be a little jerky. So I'm interested in the Blu-ray.

I presume this release will not bear the on-screen alterations present on ADV's discs.
For that to happen they would have to somehow get hold of ADV's original DVD masters (they did a later DVD release with soft text subs rather than overlays) and do their own upscale.

Back