UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I had a parcel of four standard edition Blu-rays ordered on Day 1 of the Anime Limited 2023 12 Days of Xmas sale, all from the BOGOF section, I paid £29.98 for them. I went away for Xmas to visit family far from home (in England where I live, but definitely not close enough that I could have zipped back to collect the package), but I left my flat to travel there on the 14th of December 2023, so it's not as though they did not have a decent length of time to get them to me before that point. I returned from my trip on the 8th of January 2024 to find that, after being left in the communal hallway of my apartment building by a Royal Mail postie, the parcel had been stolen (no idea who by, could be another tenant or a visitor to the building, an opportunistic passer by who happened to see the door open with the package downstairs, etc.). I understand I may not have any recourse at this point as I have not been on the ball about getting in touch with Anime Limited regarding the issue (I was somewhat discouraged by reports from other posters here of them not replying to emails etc. - that's not me blaming anyone here just making the point that AL's customer service is probably not what it once was), but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I could get either my money back or a replacement of the stolen items (especially given that they are standards not CEs so stock is relatively unlikely to be permanently run out)? I have attached an image of the order summary, I paid with PayPal and don't actually have a credit card just a debit card so I don't think I could do a chargeback even if I contacted AL and the issue was still not resolved within a reasonable timeframe (I'm not entirely certain what my statutory rights are here, I just wanted to mention that in case it is useful info for anyone trying to help).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 00.49.00.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 00.49.00.png
    330 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I had a parcel of four standard edition Blu-rays ordered on Day 1 of the Anime Limited 2023 12 Days of Xmas sale, all from the BOGOF section, I paid £29.98 for them. I went away for Xmas to visit family far from home (in England where I live, but definitely not close enough that I could have zipped back to collect the package), but I left my flat to travel there on the 14th of December 2023, so it's not as though they did not have a decent length of time to get them to me before that point. I returned from my trip on the 8th of January 2024 to find that, after being left in the communal hallway of my apartment building by a Royal Mail postie, the parcel had been stolen (no idea who by, could be another tenant or a visitor to the building, an opportunistic passer by who happened to see the door open with the package downstairs, etc.). I understand I may not have any recourse at this point as I have not been on the ball about getting in touch with Anime Limited regarding the issue (I was somewhat discouraged by reports from other posters here of them not replying to emails etc. - that's not me blaming anyone here just making the point that AL's customer service is probably not what it once was), but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I could get either my money back or a replacement of the stolen items (especially given that they are standards not CEs so stock is relatively unlikely to be permanently run out)? I have attached an image of the order summary, I paid with PayPal and don't actually have a credit card just a debit card so I don't think I could do a chargeback even if I contacted AL and the issue was still not resolved within a reasonable timeframe (I'm not entirely certain what my statutory rights are here, I just wanted to mention that in case it is useful info for anyone trying to help).

I'd say contact them first regardless (if you haven't already) just to show you've tried, even if it takes a few e-mails.

The team always seems nice enough so I'd imagine they'd be understanding enough that something would get sorted.

Beyond that, maybe someone else has a better answer but I'd try that first at least.

I'm sorry to hear this.
I realise it could be a pain for the postie to take it away but this is no excuse.

I bought one of the El Hazard titles and watched 2 episodes. Wouldn't say I'm into it and I haven't went back to it after nearly two months.
You could have it for the postage only.

I'm sorry to hear this.
I realise it could be a pain for the postie to take it away but this is no excuse.

I bought one of the El Hazard titles and watched 2 episodes. Wouldn't say I'm into it and I haven't went back to it after nearly two months.
You could have it for the postage only.

That's very kind of you, I will get back to you about El Hazard if my email to Anime Limited (which I sent last night or v early this morning) doesn't lead to a resolution of this issue :)

That's very kind of you, I will get back to you about El Hazard if my email to Anime Limited (which I sent last night or v early this morning) doesn't lead to a resolution of this issue :)
As others have said, your best bet is to contact Anime Limited and explain the situation that your parcel has likely been stolen.

If a courier leaves a package in an area that you have not requested for it to be left in and it is then stolen, you are legally entitled to a refund or replacement. The retailer is responsible for getting the parcel safely to you. However, it's deemed the customer's responsibility if they request for a package to be left somewhere else and it is subsequently stolen.

The trader is responsible for goods until you receive them, or someone else you have nominated (e.g. a neighbour) has them delivered (from the Consumer Rights Act 2015) - if they were simply left in a communal area of a block of flats where anyone could see it and take it, then they were not delivered to you. Therefore, the retailer (AL) is still responsible for getting what you paid for, to you.

If you didn't request for the postie to leave it in your communal area, then you are entitled to a replacement or refund from Anime Limited, don't let them brush you off.

As others have said, your best bet is to contact Anime Limited and explain the situation that your parcel has likely been stolen.

If a courier leaves a package in an area that you have not requested for it to be left in and it is then stolen, you are legally entitled to a refund or replacement. The retailer is responsible for getting the parcel safely to you. It's deemed as the customer's responsibility if they request for a package to be left somewhere and it is subsequently stolen.

The trader is responsible for goods until you receive them, or someone else you have nominated (e.g. a neighbour) has them delivered (from the Consumer Rights Act 2015) - if they were simply left in a communal area of a block of flats where anyone could see it and take it, then they were not delivered to you. Therefore, the retailer (AL) is still responsible for getting what you paid for, to you.

I'm not sure where I stand then as I requested them to attempt to deliver it to a neighbour, but the neighbour must not have taken the package as it was then left in the communal hallway rather than taken back to the depot? There is a notice on my door that clearly states not to leave packages in the hall as they will be stolen so take them back to the depot rather than leaving them out there. I don't want to be unreasonable but like... IMO they should have been able to get the package to me before I left as they had at least 13 whole days to do so. I probably should have emailed them asking them to hold it, IDK :(

I'm not sure where I stand then as I requested them to attempt to deliver it to a neighbour, but the neighbour must not have taken the package as it was then left in the communal hallway rather than taken back to the depot? There is a notice on my door that clearly states not to leave packages in the hall as they will be stolen. I don't want to be unreasonable but like... IMO they should have been able to get the package to me before I left as they had at least 13 whole days to do so. I probably should have emailed them asking them to hold it, IDK :(

You should still be fine, if you requested for it to be delivered to a neighbour and it was still left in the communal area, then the law should still apply. As long as you did not request for it to be left in the communal area you should be covered as the package was not delivered to yourself or your nominated neighbour.

You're not being unreasonable at all - consumer law is there to protect us for these exact situations.

You should still be fine, if you requested for it to be delivered to a neighbour and it was still left in the communal area, then the law should still apply. As long as you did not request for it to be left in the communal area you should be covered as the package was not delivered to yourself or your nominated neighbour.

You're not being unreasonable at all - consumer law is there to protect us for these exact situations.

I def didn't request for it to be left out, at most Royal Mail might have said they might do that if the neighbour wasn't in, but I didn't request it and wasn't given a choice to say "please take it back to the delivery office rather than leaving it in the hall" (I used the online form where you sort out redeliveries from drop down menu options, and I only did that because I didn't know if Royal Mail would hold the package until after I got back, given that I was going to be away for over three weeks). Thankyou for being so helpful to everyone who has commented :)

For added context there's a bit of additional frustration involved as I now have Lupin the 3rd Part 5 (I bought the CE in the same sale) but not Part 4! Not that that is likely to have any legal bearing it's just one of those things XP

Last edited:
"Hi there,

Thanks for your message.

We're sorry to hear this. The order in question was shipped on the 11th of December and delivered on the 19th of December. While we endeavour to help in these scenarios, we have a 30-day window to report orders as lost or stolen to Royal Mail. Unfortunately as it has now been 7 weeks since the delivery date, there is nothing we are able to do at this point.

Apologies for the disappointment caused by this.

Kind regards,
The Anime Limited Team"

This is their reply. I get that I did leave it longer than I should have... does anyone have anything further to suggest?

That's interesting - I'm not sure if there is a legal timeframe for when you must report stolen or lost goods from online retailers or if that's simply AL's policy. If it's only Anime Limited's policy and not law, then you might have more wiggle room as the package was not legally delivered on the 19th December, it was left in an unsecure location. I am suspicious about AL saying that they have a 30 day window to report goods as lost or stolen since the Consumer Rights Act gives retailers 30 days to get the item to you - so how is a customer supposed to report goods as lost or stolen if they have given the retailer 30 days to get the item to them.

A package is only considered delivered if it has been delivered to you or your nominated neighbour/location - therefore the retailer should still be liable. If I were you, I would perhaps give AL another email and say something like: thank you for your email, however you have not fulfilled your contract with me as the goods were not delivered to myself or to my nominated neighbour. It is therefore your responsibility to either refund me or organise a replacement. Then also perhaps ask if you could escalate this issue any further to someone higher up, if possible.

Failing that, your other options are to file a chargeback claim with your bank on the transaction - if you contact your bank and say you'd like to file a chargeback for undelivered goods they'll be able to help you from there and get your money back.

You could also look into filing a claim with Royal Mail themselves but I don't have much experience with this.

"Hi there,

Thanks for your message.

We're sorry to hear this. The order in question was shipped on the 11th of December and delivered on the 19th of December. While we endeavour to help in these scenarios, we have a 30-day window to report orders as lost or stolen to Royal Mail. Unfortunately as it has now been 7 weeks since the delivery date, there is nothing we are able to do at this point.

Apologies for the disappointment caused by this.

Kind regards,
The Anime Limited Team"

This is their reply. I get that I did leave it longer than I should have... does anyone have anything further to suggest?
I've never had to try with Paypal but do they not offer a 90 or 180 day window for disputes.
I know they want you to try to sort it with the company concerned first so you have completed that part.

Could check that out.

Rubbish reply.

One problem I do foresee arising if I sort this out without AL's "blessing" as it were, is that I suppose they might stop me from ordering further products from their website? IDK what the law's position is on that but I don't really want to potentially destroy what good will has been built up over the years :/

I don't think you need to worry about that. I can't see them stopping you from making future purchases - they'll make that £30 back in no time, it makes no business sense for them to block you from making future orders, especially if they can see that you're a regular customer.

I've completed a few chargebacks from various retailers and none have stopped me from making future purchases. You could even make it clear to AL that you'll be pursuing a chargeback claim with your bank if they refuse to provide a refund or replacement.

One problem I do foresee arising if I sort this out without AL's "blessing" as it were, is that I suppose they might stop me from ordering further products from their website? IDK what the law's position is on that but I don't really want to potentially destroy what good will has been built up over the years :/

I don't have any solution for this, but all I can say is that goodwill flows in two directions, and I have had positive experiences with retailers that have bent over backwards to help me, MVM and the OG Right Stuf spring to mind, and retailers who couldn't care less. I don't shop with the latter any more. The problem with AL in this regard is shop exclusives, otherwise I'd mention that their content is otherwise available from other retailers.

I don't have any solution for this, but all I can say is that goodwill flows in two directions, and I have had positive experiences with retailers that have bent over backwards to help me, MVM and the OG Right Stuf spring to mind, and retailers who couldn't care less. I don't shop with the latter any more. The problem with AL in this regard is shop exclusives, otherwise I'd mention that their content is otherwise available from other retailers.

A valid point, and thankyou to @Otomo and @BrokenPhoenix again for your input also, will mull it over :)

@Otomo, may I PM you regarding El Hazard? :)

You might be able to just do a claim direct with royal mail as they are technically at fault for leaving it in a hall way (Yes, Dec is a busy season, but also people do go away and as AllTheAnime proved they are not always that efficient at dispatching quickly in this period), but often need proof of postage, and in general it is done by the seller, which in this case they aren't going to either becasue of the 30 days passing and they can't claim or they won't.

But Royal mail does mention 30 day or 3 month to claim by. Its possible it 30 days is for delviered goods and damaged and 3 months is to do with they lost it and never tried, so might be worth having a browse of the form and see what details you might need.

You maybe able to ask AllTheAnime for proof of postage (although to some extent they send things tracked so you might be able to use that as form of proof) and even ask them about infomation in regards to why there is a 30 day time limit and is that due to Royal mail set timeframe

Also i assume you've checked the tracking as you know where the parcel was left, sometime photo, maybe even mentions left with neighbour

Back