UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if AL is just outright ignoring certain topics. I've asked them many a time whether they have plans with regards to streaming the Love Live franchise and have received absolutely no response. It's a joke

Hope you get it I've read one person on here not getting a reply to there emails and I didn't receive a reply when asking when burn the witch would finally be shipped (luckily it got shipped a few day's later), never had that problem when jeremy was there always got a response within 2 days.

I've not been following this thread properly are you so far the only person to report a problem of a missing episode on your boxset specifically or have others reported problems?
I haven't seen anyone else report theirs. If anything, I don't think many people even received theirs yet. I stated on the e-mail to them that I'm not sure if only my copy is affected or if it's a more widespread issue at this stage, but I still asked if they're able to send me a corrected disc.

I haven't seen anyone else report theirs. If anything, I don't think many people even received theirs yet. I stated on the e-mail to them that I'm not sure if only my copy is affected or if it's a more widespread issue at this stage, but I still asked if they're able to send me a corrected disc.

Unless your disc is corrupted somehow, these are mass produced and will likely all have the same data on them.

It seems to me, but I still do not support such behavior, that Anime Ltd itself does not know what is happening with some of their orders - they are dependent on some distribution centers, and they also have to sort out a lot of things now, because this is the beginning of their most difficult period. - mass of orders. That's why contact with them is difficult. Even if they do, and I somehow understand it, they shouldn't be so silent and not respond to messages at all. The problems with Nadia are also a bit difficult to explain, because the release date has been postponed so many times.

By the way, I hope they eventually change FedEX to something else. I'd even rather pay more. I don't know what it's like for you, but I had the most damaged issues from FedEX and I still have to pay a lot "for their service" when I receive the shipment. I'm not thinking about VAT/Customs here, but their service costs 10-15 GBP. If I buy something on sale - a lot of products and therefore I save a lot, I can somehow live with it... But I would prefer PercelForce (even though it is slower by a week or two) or DHL - more expensive, but without such absurd shipping costs.

I remember asking for a replacement sleeve for Utena Part 1 as it got damaged in the post and... nothing.

While the theatrical releases aspect is going strong, it is a shame the home video department is slipping in quality. TBF the QC has always been hit and miss, especially for in-house discs, but missing a whole episode for Nadia is embarrassing, especially as the long OOP Animatsu release (which used the same Sentai source) did not have this issue.

Was suppose to receive mine this Tuesday, it’s already in Belgium but now with a status of

Clearance instructions from the importer are required.
Recommended action: Importer must provide instructions.

As far as I can tell from a little searching, looks like the shipper will need to provide more details to FedEx. We’ll seen tomorrow when working hours start again.

Easy: do not do any QC whatsoever.

One or two months ago I tried to raise awareness about the french branch giving up on any form of QC and the products being all defective in one way or another. This could very well be an internal AL "global" decision, and the results are only showing up now in the UK branch due to its slower pipeline in comparison to the french one. By the way, AL FR never got back to anyone who complained about Gunbuster, Free Final Stroke, and so on. Great stuff.
Aside from the fact that they seem to lock the subs in seemingly all their releases, which is one of my biggest gripes with too many anime releases, I'm not fully aware of what's going through the minds of the french branch but it sounds pretty dire.

Really think you should look at this thread there are a lot of angry comments you should be looking into.

This might be the first time I've personally seen a genuinely angry concensus against AL but it's hardly the first time their releases came with a massive caveat, for instance I'm still personally irked that the Lupin III dub version lacks dialogue subtitles (despite the fact that it can't have a serious reverse importation issue due to it's dub only status) even though AL could have used the subs from the sub version, yes they wouldn't match the dialogue but that's a common issue with anime on DVD/Bluray anyway, that I have long accepted, whereas I can't accept no subs, also I'm not really a fan of how a lot of their releases are collectors ed only as it just creates artificial scarcity whenever there is not a standard for those who just want to watch the show, it's fine as an option but it shouldn't be the only one.

I get the impression that people have been wary of critisising AL too harshly in the past because they are one of very few anime licensors in the UK but the truth is that we should expect better than having episodes missing from super expensive releases like this, in fact we should expect better from our anime releases full stop as too many of them seemingly have to come with a caveat of sorts.

Don't get me wrong, I still do like their Christmas sales but that's usually the only point in the year that they get my custom nowadays solely because of the price differences.

Last edited:
This might be the first time I've personally seen a genuinely angry concensus against AL but it's hardly the first time they messed up, for instance I'm still personally irked that the Lupin III dub version lacks dialogue subtitles (despite the fact that it can't have a serious reverse importation issue due to it's dub only status) even though AL could have used the subs from the sub version [...]
To be fair:
Due to the licensors request, the Dub version of Lupin III Part 4 used the "Italian" cut & the Sub version used the "Japanese" cut. The number of differences made it kinda impossible to fit both on the same discs.
It's also common practice for all UK companies to port over existing US or AU discs if they are at least fine, as this can safe several thousand GBP in production costs (and a lot of time) instead of creating new discs or subtitles from scratch - however I'm quite happy that they did new discs when the overseas versions had serious known problems.
You might have noticed that some discs include trailers for anime licensed by different companies (or no US company at all) - well, they were on the US / AU disc...

Aside from the fact that they seem to lock the subs in seemingly all their releases, which is one of my biggest gripes with too many anime releases
To be fair, most of the time this happens it is actually because it's mandated by the Japanese studios as a measure against reverse importation.

Aside from the fact that they seem to lock the subs in seemingly all their releases, which is one of my biggest gripes with too many anime releases, I'm not fully aware of what's going through the minds of the french branch but it sounds pretty dire.
Locked subtitles are often a requirement from Japanese licensors. Anime Limited (FR or UK) have little to no say on the matter.

To be fair, most of the time this happens it is actually because it's mandated by the Japanese studios as a measure against reverse importation.
For some companies I am aware that this is the case but in other cases, such as Kaze (now defunct in the UK I think) and AL France, they seem to do it whether or not it is mandated as it seemingly affects basically all of their releases, some of which do not have the issue with the US equivalent, regardless, a semi fix which would be helpful for a lot of people would be to include an option in the menu to allow the dub to play with subs, which will not create a reverse importation risk, as the Japanese option still cannot be played without subs, but will allow people to still enjoy the dub with subs; this has been done before with Penguin Highway and I was really glad when I found out that it does have this option as it sets a good example of how to solve the locked subs issue to a degree that will satisfy most western viewers while hopefully not going against the agreement.
To be fair:
Due to the licensors request, the Dub version of Lupin III Part 4 used the "Italian" cut & the Sub version used the "Japanese" cut. The number of differences made it kinda impossible to fit both on the same discs.
It's also common practice for all UK companies to port over existing US or AU discs if they are at least fine, as this can safe several thousand GBP in production costs (and a lot of time) instead of creating new discs or subtitles from scratch - however I'm quite happy that they did new discs when the overseas versions had serious known problems.
You might have noticed that some discs include trailers for anime licensed by different companies (or no US company at all) - well, they were on the US / AU disc...
I'm unaware of the issues that affect the overseas discs but, while this does explain the issue, it's still a problem for someone like me who swears by watching my films or shows with subtitles and finds it really hard to do so without them, for me personally it's a major preference thing as I really don't like having to rewind because I missed a piece of dialogue that plays for only a split second which would happen fairly often without subs, a prime example of which was when I tried to watch One Piece collection 24 disc 3 where Lilly started talking at lightning speed and I couldn't understand what she was saying because by that point Manga/Toei, or Funimation/Toei, not too sure, started locking the subs.

Last edited:
OK issue with Fedex was solved fast and import fee is also paid now. So normally tomorrow Nadia should arrive here. Once it does I'll rip the discs and check for that missing episode 18 if that's actually the case on the disc, as maybe it's a menu issue that it simply opens the wrong episode.

Back