UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

UK distributors don't seem to touch josei in general, which is a real shame. Nana would be an especially tough proposition for a UK company on top on that, since getting 50 episodes BBFCed would presumably be pricy and it would probably get an 18 certificate.

I know it's a fairly grown up show but it feels weird that it might end up with the same rating as some films that are full of fairly graphic violence including sexual violence - like, when I was about 10 or so I watched things like Four Weddings and a Funeral and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (albeit Buffy mostly in the versions with TV edits but my mum and dad would have let me watch the uncut versions, the cut version that aired on BBC was just, ya know, right there to watch? I had uncut boxsets of Angel around that age, which has it's moments but mostly is not anywhere near as violent as many 18-rated horror films), my parents were fine with me watching these but likely would have been uncomfortable with me watching something like say Akira and that's a 15... I guess maybe the 18 rating would be for the underage sex work involving one of the male band members which I don't remember being graphic at any point but I understand that there's a certain "possibly a bad influence/imitable behaviour" argument... I get that arguments around age ratings and various different types and visual graphicness of content and whatnot can get quite philosophically complicated... but honestly I prob could have handled watching Nana at the age of 12 or so without getting the idea that hooking up with 20 yr olds at age of 15 or w/e was a great idea, whether money was being exchanged or not. You might have to take my opinion with a lil salt though just in that I do often put dubbed things on and not pay close attention to visuals so maybe there's scenes that are more disturbing that I didn't actually see just hear. Obviously certain things that happen later in the series are grim

Takumi you heartless bastard how dare you force yourself on Nana K!

but the thing I'm thinking of is clearly viewed as bad by the show itself. Also sorry this is a lil off-topic for this thread, but I had an actual opinion that I wanted to share about this lol.

Edit: Somehow put the wrong rating for Akira even tho I am well aware it's a 15 rated film, guess my finger slipped/typo XP

Last edited:
While there today I decided to ask @Hanners about any eta on the card captor sakura movies to which he admitted there's not much news on that front and they do need to work on that. @Hanners please come in and correct me if I've said something inaccurate.

That's a bit of a shame, I'm holding off on watching the series until we get the movies so I can watch it all in one go and in chronological order. Tempted to order Discotek's releases but would rather have AL's releases.

Dont worry. It will be early bird on the 12 days of Christmas. Then delayed with an evential release date in November holding your order from shipping nearly a year

(This post was a joke and not meant to be rude towards Anime Limited. They are doing a good job considering how much a mess the Anime Industry has been over the last 3~4 years)
I'm would actually be happy if I could put in a pre-order in this Christmas for delivery whenever next year as at least that way I know they're actively working on it.
If Anime Limited is now licensing Sentai titles, please try to get The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. It baffles me to no end why this title hasn't been picked up yet. :confused:
That is another great show that I picked up off of @Demelza's worthy high praise in a previous staff favourites' article.
Puzzles me that nana has not been released in the uk yet
One of the greatest and nothing
This thread is all a list of all my recent imports heheh. I waited ages for so many of these that I just gave up and forked out to import in case I lost the chance to altogether. Physical media just seems more and more endangered these days sadly...

I also use a jailborken PS3 (but I'm a hoarder of PS3 and i do have a US PS3 (but I more use that one for playing US PS1 games)),

Another easy way is a blu-ray drive for your PC (desktop versions are usually cheaper, but of course they take up more space, and not all tower these day have the bays required, only ever tried desktop version my self)
But Leawo Blu-ray player (software) is what most people use to play there blu-ray's (you standard players like media play, vlc wont play blu-ray disc) and that has the ability to change region code manually as much as you want or you can use MKV beta to backup your disc and that by passes all region codes (but it takes a while to do and can be about 50GB a disc if left as raw video data)
But again it depends how you want to veiw everything on a PC or living room TV (and if you do want that living room TV whether you really want to keep hooking up you PC to that TV every time)

Last edited:
Another easy way is a blu-ray drive for your PC (desktop versions are usually cheaper, but of course they take up more space, and not all tower these day have the bays required, only ever tried desktop version my self)
But Leawo Blu-ray player (software) is what most people use to play there blu-ray's (you standard players like media play, vlc wont play blu-ray disc) and that has the ability to change region code manually as much as you want
Yeah, I use the Leawo method on my laptop too, with the added benefit with that free software you can more easily take screenshots! Normal commercial blu-ray software blocks you from taking screenshots, which is a pain in the **** if you're writing reviews online and want to share pretty pictures!

I use a simple Pioneer external USB3 drive, which I bought from Amazon for around £90. Don't buy any of the cheaper no-name blu-ray drives, they're crap and have horrid compatibility issues. The Pioneer drive has given me no problems.

Super late to the party, but AL got their hands on some really cool licenses! Just received my Re:Zero S2 from right stuf today, lol.

I’ve been eyeing the JP release for Blue Giant, I think I’ll just get that instead of waiting. I’ll double dip on Kids on the Slope and get a ton of stuff otherwise!

Lot of cool gets. Please be excited for 2029.

I KNOW, I’M SORRY OK

Same here... at least it saves me buying AL's release I guess.

AL releasing Sentai titles isn't a new thing however. They've licensed a few here and there like Ajin, Aoharu x Machine-gun and Comet Lucifer (which still hasn't got a release lolmao). Guess they're just giving Sentai more focus now that a lot of CR titles are pretty much untouchable.
I thought Ajin was from Netflix as was Kakegurui (though they couldn't get Netflix's dub for that one)
and just got the masters from Sentai

Last edited:
VLC does play blu-rays if you have MakeMKV installed. It can bypass region locks as well, although the option is buried in advanced settings.
Ahh yeah so you can. I thought at first you meant via aasc key stuff (which I have tried before) and wasn't all that effective.

I used this video tutorial (2 min video and just need to edit some prefrences in MKV) in case anyone else is intrested:
NOTE: same thing also works for media player classic (if anyone else also still uses that)

Although I do suspect with the free beta key for MKVbeta there may be the odd day at the start of the month where I would have to use Leawo as the key usually take a few days for it to be posted each new month.
But I do have the odd probelm with using the time skip bar and sometimes the pause (ofen cause it to crash or just get very confused) on leawo so this will be a good alternative to test out.

Did anyone receive shipping notices for Burn the Witch or To the Abandoned Sacret Beasts?

Burn the Witch is now listed on Amazon UK as Nov 13
To the Abandoned Sacret Beasts is listed on CR US as Oct 31, but product description on CR US says Jan 30

How would I go about playing Discotek’s releases? Would I need a different blu-ray player?
Majority of the releases are Region A only with some already set to Region B like City Hunter, Robot Carnival, School Days and Stellvia.

But I have been testing a specific method that will play some titles on Region B via top-menu, and so far these ones worked among the 109 that I own currently:
All Discs Work
Aho-Girl
Babel II
Battle Athletes
Hanasakeru Seishonen
Holmes of Kyoto
Lupin the Third: Bye Bye Lady Liberty
Lupin the Third: Missed By a Dollar
Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles
Ms. Vampire Who Lives In My Neighborhood
Planet With
Sister Princess Re Pure
Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san
Tales of Phantasia the Animation
Uzumaki (Live-Action)
Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation

Not Every Disc WorksResults:
Fist of the North StarDisc 1 only
The Twelve KingdomsDiscs 1 & 5 only
Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!Disc 2 only
Tenjho TengeDisc 2 only
Yowamushi PedalDiscs 2 & 3 only

Aho Girl 1.gif

Another method is with the Panasonic players (even the 4K ones) as I recall pressing Stop on the lock screen then pressing top-menu seemingly bypasses it but I haven't tested it with all of my titles outside of Genocyber, Golgo 13: The Professional, s-CRY-ed, Memories and Wicked City which worked.

Most of Discotek's blu-rays are unfortunately region-locked to region A (in the UK we are region B).
I use a softmodded/jailbroken PS3 Slim to play discs from other regions. That's probably the cheapest and easiest way to get a multi-region blu-ray player.
Anyone going that route should bear in mind that the newest PS3s are a decade old at this point, and the operational life of optical drives seems to be getting worse all the time.

And you can always just buy a cheap region A player from Amazon.com
As long as they make damn sure it has a switching power supply. Otherwise it would need a heavy-duty stepdown converter to stop it exploding.

Forgot to say. When I talked about to @Hanners I asked about how bleach and the thousand year blood war arc was going to be handled, whether they would be released 1 after the other or at the same time and he said there considered separate entities so there likely to be released at the same time.

As long as they make damn sure it has a switching power supply. Otherwise it would need a heavy-duty stepdown converter to stop it exploding.
Well yes, but the Panasonic I bought only needed a travel adapter for the power socket, most modern power supplies support anywhere between 110/230V, 50/60Hz so just work out of the box. Thus only needing a compatible plug.

Or buy one that can be supplied with an external 12V power supply, then you only need another adapter with the correct polarity if you don't want to use the included power adapter.

Back