UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'm really regretting not buying the Ultimate Evangelion set back when it was available (but money was just impossible during that period). This new set has all the disks, at least? Its just missing the wonder-packaging and the book? Would anyone say they regretted going Ultimate?

The issue I have with various Ultimate Editions is they're high on novelty, low on practicality.

Look at Bebop. Yes, that's a high quality record case and making the inner packaging styled like records too is on brand for the show, but it's just easier to pull a standard case off a shelf and pop discs out.

The issue I have with various Ultimate Editions is they're high on novelty, low on practicality.

Look at Bebop. Yes, that's a high quality record case and making the inner packaging styled like records too is on brand for the show, but it's just easier to pull a standard case off a shelf and pop discs out.

But I love digging out the discs from inside my FMA Resin Gate Ultimate set... if I could only lift the dang thing off of the bookcase shelf after my hernia operation! 😜

AL's DOTW is The Case of Hana & Alice for £7.99 (DVD) and £9.99 (BD).

Highly recommend this movie.

I recommend it too I really enjoyed it a lot :)

Great movie. It's a shame there's no easy way to get the original live-action Hana & Alice movie. Sure would be nice if someone would release that (hint, hint, @anime_andrew ).

Actually, on the topic of the Evangelion sets.... I'm hard of hearing but not totally deaf. I'd quite like to watch it with the English dub sometimes, but with subtitles for the words/sense I don't catch. Is that possible or are Anime Ltd still locking discs so that you can only see subtitles if you use the Japanese audio?

Actually, on the topic of the Evangelion sets.... I'm hard of hearing but not totally deaf. I'd quite like to watch it with the English dub sometimes, but with subtitles for the words/sense I don't catch. Is that possible or are Anime Ltd still locking discs so that you can only see subtitles if you use the Japanese audio?
I got the latest LE version and I'm listening to the OG dub, and yes I can also confim that I can add subs to the dub. The words do not match the dubbed voice lines however. It's just the subs for the JP, which can be a bit jarring but they're not locked at least.

Personally I think that by now; anime distributors should disclose whether the subs are locked or not as we have a right to know regarding these things.

Furthermore I honestly think that any release going forward that has locked subs should at the very least offer a dub with sub option in the setup, like Penguin Highway did, in that film's case I believe it was HOH subs but just having the option to watch dubbed with subs even if they don't match the dialogue is far preferable to having no subs at all.

Great movie. It's a shame there's no easy way to get the original live-action Hana & Alice movie. Sure would be nice if someone would release that (hint, hint, @anime_andrew ).

Absolutely. I tried lobbying pretty hard for it at the time the anime was originally released as it would have been a perfect time to re-introduce the films of Shunji Iwai onto the market as I'm pretty sure the only one of his films ever to be given a (long out of print) release here is (the great) All About Lily Chou-Chou. I'd also argue that releasing Iwai's Fireworks would have been a lot preferable to releasing the anime adaptation :p

They should totally be an anime label first and foremost but I think there's an opportunity to release some anime-adjacent live action films - Iwai but also the live action films by Hideaki Anno (Ritual and Love & Pop) and Mamoru Oshii.

Absolutely. I tried lobbying pretty hard for it at the time the anime was originally released as it would have been a perfect time to re-introduce the films of Shunji Iwai onto the market as I'm pretty sure the only one of his films ever to be given a (long out of print) release here is (the great) All About Lily Chou-Chou. I'd also argue that releasing Iwai's Fireworks would have been a lot preferable to releasing the anime adaptation :p

They should totally be an anime label first and foremost but I think there's an opportunity to release some anime-adjacent live action films - Iwai but also the live action films by Hideaki Anno (Ritual and Love & Pop) and Mamoru Oshii.

TBH I have tried watching All About Lily Chou Chou and didn't really care for it I much preferred The Case of Hana and Alice and the Fireworks anime film... to each their own I guess 😅 :)

Personally I think that by now; anime distributors should disclose whether the subs are locked or not as we have a right to know regarding these things.

Furthermore I honestly think that any release going forward that has locked subs should at the very least offer a dub with sub option in the setup, like Penguin Highway did, in that film's case I believe it was HOH subs but just having the option to watch dubbed with subs even if they don't match the dialogue is far preferable to having no subs at all.
Kind of off-topic, but speaking of which, I will say now that any UK release of a recent Sentai title, either by Anime Limited or MVM, that uses Sentai's discs are guaranteed to have locked subtitles. Sentai has been locking the subtitles in all of their releases, and re-authored re-releases, since either 2015 or 2016.

Kind of off-topic, but speaking of which, I will say now that any UK release of a recent Sentai title, either by Anime Limited or MVM, that uses Sentai's discs are guaranteed to have locked subtitles. Sentai has been locking the subtitles in all of their releases, and re-authored re-releases, since either 2015 or 2016.
It seems that way for Blu-ray's; I don't know of any Blu-ray from Sentai that doesn't have this issue; I'm pretty sure that at least a few of their DVD's though are still ok, IICR I think the DVD for Flip Flappers is ok, at least for the main subs, not sure about songs and signs; though it might be a different disc author so I can't say for sure whether it is Sentai but the menu layout looks like a fairly typical Sentai layout.

Last edited:
It seems that way for Blu-ray's; I don't know of any Blu-ray from Sentai that doesn't have this issue; at least a few of their DVD's though are still ok, IICR I think the DVD for Flip Flappers is ok, at least for the main subs, not sure about songs and signs; though it might be a different disc author so I can't say for sure how it is in the US.
Most recent frustration was that I could watch Iron Blooded Orphans on Netflix with a range of sound and subtitle options, but not Anime Limited's Blu ray release.
I like to hear dubs, when they're done well, and certainly I want to hear the classic Evangelion dub, but I don't always catch every word, even when I'm using my hearing aids (and in the evening I don't want the stress and discomfort of hearing aids when I'm chilling out with a blu ray - do you guys know how uncomfortable it is to have them all day?) so I like to have a subtitle track. Also, many of us have lost frequencies as well as volume, which means I might hear one dub voice perfectly and find another impenetrable, or too shouty compared to other characters who are too quiet.

Okay gripe over, thanks for the tip on Eva. Will get that ordered, but I wish i'd done it when I had the 15% sale voucher!

Most recent frustration was that I could watch Iron Blooded Orphans on Netflix with a range of sound and subtitle options, but not Anime Limited's Blu ray release.
I like to hear dubs, when they're done well, and certainly I want to hear the classic Evangelion dub, but I don't always catch every word, even when I'm using my hearing aids (and in the evening I don't want the stress and discomfort of hearing aids when I'm chilling out with a blu ray - do you guys know how uncomfortable it is to have them all day?) so I like to have a subtitle track. Also, many of us have lost frequencies as well as volume, which means I might hear one dub voice perfectly and find another impenetrable, or too shouty compared to other characters who are too quiet.

Okay gripe over, thanks for the tip on Eva. Will get that ordered, but I wish i'd done it when I had the 15% sale voucher!
I can recall several cases where, despite having a home video release, I chose to watch a show on Netflix to avoid dealing with locked subs; one example was that I had the Kaze release of Black Lagoon on DVD but the locked subs for the DVD drove me to watch it on Netflix as I never have to deal with locked subs there; in recent years I've been far more cautious when considering buying anime on home video compared to the old days.

Last edited:
Back