UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I might be a little late but Nadesico is not a good show IMO; it has a tonal inconsistency that would not entirely be out of place in Shrek the Third, the fact that the only character I thought was entertaining (I can't remember his name sadly) dies at the end of episode 3 and the rest of the crew treat it like a joke is simply ruinous to any more serious parts the show has; if the characters don't take events like that seriously why should the viewer.
I was honestly forcing myself to finish it from that point, I don't even remember what happened in the movie, I only recall finding the Gekigengar OVA's to somehow be more enjoyable than the show itself but it's been a while since I saw it.

Sees a lot of people complaining about a release

So is this where I start insinuating you all want AL to lose its licenses and fold? Or is that only when I'm critical?
I'm pretty sure no one on this forum wants AL to fold 😂 but that doesn't give them immunity from criticism.
I think if they're asking the price they are, the most expensive of all the products this year, with very little more than an 'its ULTIMATE' then I don't think its unreasonable at all to ask for more info especially a packshot even a none final one.

Like is there a standard blu ray only version or are they just gonna hush that out the door until it pops up on AoL (looking at you Future Boy...).

AL went from the most transparent company to probably the least, these days if you wanna know what they're doing its best to follow their French socials 🤷‍♂️

Also on Nadia I looked more closely at their description:
Screenshot_20221212_160326_Chrome.jpg
I put this on me for not reading closely and automatically assuming it'd be an A4 book that houses the discs (like B: The Beginning, Blood-C, Perfect Blue, Tower of God) but going by that I'm picturing more of a Wolf's Rain Ultimate with a normal sized slipcase with discs in amaray or digipack? (Place your bets...) and the book separate to go on a shelf somewhere.
I'll be honest I much prefer this type over the other but again clarification would be very much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure no one on this forum wants AL to fold 😂 but that doesn't give them immunity from criticism.
I think if they're asking the price they are, the most expensive of all the products this year, with very little more than an 'its ULTIMATE' then I don't think its unreasonable at all to ask for more info especially a packshot even a none final one.

Like is there a standard blu ray only version or are they just gonna hush that out the door until it pops up on AoL (looking at you Future Boy...).

AL went from the most transparent company to probably the least, these days if you wanna know what they're doing its best to follow their French socials 🤷‍♂️
Exactly this; it's perfectly ok to expect better from anime releases, especially as by buying them instead of jumping on Netflix or Crunchyroll, we are supporting the industry in ways that the average person does not; therefore our support should not be taken for granted.

No one in their right mind wants AL to fold but it's important to call out where they do wrong as otherwise they will likely continue to increase prices and likely make their releases still have some strings attached; the same can be said of any company really.

I was looking at the BOGOF section, and I have a question. Is Martian Successor Nadesico any good for a blind-buy?
Like other people have said, it's a little hokey in a 90's sense (eg. think of the sillier elements of Evangelion) and tonally inconsistent at times, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I wouldn't call it one of my all-time greats, but I like it enough to have picked up the collector's set back when it was first released. If you're after a slightly old school romp, it's definitely worth picking it up in the sales.

As for the movie, while I've still not mustered up the enthusiasm to watch it, my understanding is that it's technically a sequel to a videogame that came out after the tv show, that went in a bunch of weird and pretty dark places with the cast. Oh, and it wasn't released outside of Japan so of course nobody else internationally had any idea what had happened. So not only most of the film about pretty dour space politicking that feels completely removed from the show, when the cast do appear they're often in completely different roles and emotional states. I've heard it said that there's roughly 30 minutes of a good Nadesico movies surrounded by white noise. I think most fans tend to view it in a similar manner to all the Eureka 7 sequels (ie. feeling actively malicious to people that enjoyed the original property), but again, I haven't watched it to see if it's really that bad.

Thanks for the posts regarding Nadesico, folks. Now I just need to decide whether to chance a purchase of the UK BD of Space Dandy, or check if the US release actually translated the insert songs in the subtitles first.
I'm glad I checked first, regarding Space Dandy. I asked Grav (who has Funi's release) on Twitter earlier, using episode 13 as an example, and confirmed to me that the insert song in that episode has subs. Guess I'll be going for the US release instead.

Yes I think it's valid to get some feedback from people, good or bad, if people stay quiet and say nothing then how would they ever know if there was a problem?

I'd echo what @Wicker said as well, UE that includes a CE style chipboard box would always get my vote for shelf management reasons.

Anyone else get some email spam/scam purporting to be from AllTheAnime, trying to flog a subscription to azuki?
Wondering if there’s some data breach, or if AtA would really do this to their customers.

Anyone else get some email spam/scam purporting to be from AllTheAnime, trying to flog a subscription to azuki?
Wondering if there’s some data breach, or if AtA would really do this to their customers.
Nothing yet. Probably best to report it to them in case their system has been compromised.

I got one too for "buying a mystery box" I don't doubt for one second it's related to AL. Pass your info to Azuki, earn commission on any subscription that comes from the free trial offer.

For reference I bought the mystery boxes a few hours ago.

It's not spam, it's a free 1 month subscription to Azuki for people who bought one of the mystery boxes for new subscribers. The company is completely above board and you can immediately cancel the renewal of the sub and take your 1 month.

None of your details have been passed onto Azuki and the email is coming from the legitimate shop email address for Anime Limited.

Last edited:
Azuki is a manga subscription platform, so I'm not sure how it would be unrelated to AtA exactly?
That’s partly why I’m uncertain; it’s obviously targeted, although you could say that about a lot of dubious ‘adverts‘, and it’s not like other retailers cough theHut cough Amazon cough haven‘t tried to get people to subscribe under the pretence of “free gift offer”.
But on the other hand; the email doesn’t look quite right, with the AllTheAnime image slightly different (squashed, and not usually used in a ‘header’), and having no promotion of any of their own products.
And obviously; trying to get people to take out a subscription under the guise of a ‘free gift’ is a bit of a low.

Back