UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

So I'm on vacation, and cannot buy it right now, and it will be sold out today? Great... After waiting so many years...

I'm not jaded enough to think 1500 was done on purpose to artificially make it seem extremely limited and drive pre-orders even at 3 months away (I'm really not), but I don't believe AL are that disconnected from eva fandom that they dreamt 1500 units would last until December. So yeah.

Andrew said to stay tuned, so a solution is probably being looked into.

I'm not jaded enough to think 1500 was done on purpose to artificially make it seem extremely limited and drive pre-orders even at 3 months away (I'm really not), but I don't believe AL are that disconnected from eva fandom that they dreamt 1500 units would last until December. So yeah.

Hope to see next portion of these sets for a week or something like that ;)

Just great only 1.500 copies come on al this just not ok and at a time when I can't afford to pre order it because I've got the £200 Metallica black album boxset coming out next month on 10th on pre order plus I like to be able to go to London comic con in October and I think a lot of of those ultimate edition are going to end up eBay at scalpers prices.

Last edited:
This may help reduce them numbers 😂
DescriptionQuantity
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray1500 → 375
How do you know how manny ther are left ??

Hello folks!

Brief message from me while I work away in the background!

Re demand forecast: Our previous Ultimate Edition in the UK runs at 1,000 units and always sold through a good number before launch but never all before as an Ultimate retails for a higher price than our usual releases (of course I set my own destiny when I said there’d be plenty left ahead of time...!)

The other key point is that the costs on an Ultimate Edition are very high (especially on the same tier as Cowboy Bebop’s Ultimate) so it’s a heavy cost commitment for us there. So increasing by a third, based on all available data, was a risky proposition to start with.

Re quantities - Clearly demand is hotter than forecast (which is great, I’m glad people like the edition!) We don’t want anyone who wants this to be unable to order if we can avoid it either. To avoid that, I’ll be here working overnight on what we can do to achieve that. We’ll update folks on our regular channels in the morning when I have that set :).

Re other editions too -
WMD summed it up best before there too. We’ll be back with more on the 30th of August - appreciate that’s not what everyone would like and this is a title close to my heart so I can’t wait to tell folks more soon!

Catch folks tomorrow morning,

Andrew

Reading through some of GKIDS' comments and it appears that both disks will include the director's cuts but not the original tv show episodes, which for the ADV version is a pretty significant issue, as their DC dub for that had to replace several of the original voice actors, resulting in an often disorientating viewing experience. There should really be no issue in including the originals alongside the rest of the dub, which makes the situation rather frustrating. Honestly, I'd prefer to just have the original tv airing episodes for the ADV dub and have the DC's solely on the Netflix re-dub if it means the voice actors remain consistent.

I admit to being a little disappointed how evasive or non-existent some of the replies to certain lines of inquiries have been. Like, we've been told that the ADV subtitles are an 'extra', presumably only on the classic dub disks, but every question over whether those disks will be exclusive to this release have been deftly ignored. Considering there was talk of looking forward to answering questions once the release goes live, it's irritating to see how selective those answers actually are. I guess we'll have to wait until the second announcement to truly get clarification?

How do you know how manny ther are left ??
Add 1500 quantities to your basket and you'll receive the following message:

Out of stock​

Some items are no longer available. Your cart has been updated.

It will now show the current quantities available.

DescriptionQuantity
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray1500 → 316

For @fathomlessblue, @NewishType, @AHA-Lambda, @Yuki Nagato, @Yami and anyone else who might be interested, comparisons between the original "On-air" and Director's Cut versions of episodes 21 to 24 of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and also The End of Evangelion the film versus the lesser-known "Video version":

Re other editions too - WMD summed it up best before there too. We’ll be back with more on the 30th of August - appreciate that’s not what everyone would like and this is a title close to my heart so I can’t wait to tell folks more soon!

So is that edition(s) plural because I sure would like a CE at the very least :p

Hey @anime_andrew I know you're busy with things given it's Eva day and all, but I have a few questions that others probably want to know also if you have the time to answer them.
  1. As others mentioned, we know the Director's Cut is included in the UK release for Episodes 21-24 but what about the original? If the original isn't included, this does mean we'll lose the original ADV dub for those respective episodes due to recasting for select characters in the DC version.

2. Since we have Evangelion: Death(true)², there's also some interest in the original Death & Rebirth version (there's also Evangelion: Death(true) but that's DVD only in Japan so I can get why that's not here), any reason why that wasn't included considering Khara included it in their Japanese Blu-ray Disc Box.

3. What's the situation regarding the classic dub for future editions of the series for the UK? is it exclusive to the Ultimate, or exclusive to any special edition (i.e. Ultimate, Collector's, Deluxe, Limited).

4. Regarding the subtitles between the Official and Classic discs, I presume this is in reference to the Netflix translation and the original translation?

5. Since we have 11 Blu-ray discs, which disc covers which part as the images are quite blurry to exactly figure out which covers which (and I think some don't want to wait until Christmas to find out).

Just great only 1.500 copies come on al this just not ok and at a time when I can't afford to pre order it because I've got the £200 Metallica black album boxset coming out next month on 10th on pre order plus I like to be able to go to London comic con in October and I think a lot of of those ultimate edition are going to end up eBay at scalpers prices.

Who'd have thought financially supporting James Hetfield would cause you problems further down the line? :oops:

I honestly think Andrew could have saved a bit of money by scrapping that Sachiel paperweight and instead heading the nearest New-Age store, buying a bunch of cheap blue crystals, throwing one in each box and saying they were miniature Ramiel figurines. No-one would ever know...

Last edited:
Years ago, I had a pre-order for ADV's Platinum Collection DVD box set. However, I was unemployed at the time, and cancelled the preorder as I just couldn't justify the expense. I've regretted that for years, so while I think the set is pricier than I would have preferred, I've put an order in - the inclusion of the ADV dub swayed me... and it's £180 with the Anime Unlimited code - halfway between my original top-end and the pre-order price.

So does anyone know what the deal actually is with Fly Me to the Moon? I can sort of understand why it wasn't attached to the Netflix dub, as I suppose a new audio track would have required re-licensing, but a re-release attached to the Japanese audio and/or ADV dub - both of which have been released with it before? I've never before heard of a situation where music rights need to be licenced over and over again for every subsequent home video re-release of a film work.

So does anyone know what the deal actually is with Fly Me to the Moon? I can sort of understand why it wasn't attached to the Netflix dub, as I suppose a new audio track would have required re-licensing, but a re-release attached to the Japanese audio and/or ADV dub - both of which have been released with it before? I've never before heard of a situation where music rights need to be licenced over and over again for every subsequent home video re-release of a film work.

Back