UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

It is the best episode and the reason I bought it now 3 times but the impact has been lessened each time I’ve rewatched other. Not to discount it’s just most effective first time.

I’m at episode 11 and absolutely loving it, despite recognising the trope you mention. There is a whole lot of context and backstory, as well as development to Violet yet to come.
It's definitely a high quality show. I enjoyed it a lot more than something like a Makoto Shinkai film which apart from Your Name I have a lot more issues with.

I dunno maybe I should complete the three episode chance to give it a real fair shake, at my age though I can kind of tell if something would appeal to me or not. But if I can be surprised by something that would be better.

If it’s worth anything, to me Violet Evergarden is a, ”if you liked Anohana, you’d like…” show.
I haven't seen Anohana admittedly but it's something I almost blind bought when MVM released it. But I think there were issues reported with the disc or something, and I never really looked back after that. It's been a while honestly so memory is hazy lol.

Well as mentioned I saw the first episode of Violet Evergarden over the weekend and I think it's a skip.

Gorgeous artwork and animation by far but the whole "robot" girl asking "what is love" trope is ehhh. Played out and dangerously predictable to put it politely.

I think sometimes you can get a show that will change tone and you need time to get into it, but I wouldn't count VE as the same type of thing really. You're probably right if you don't get into it within an episode or two it may not be for you.

If you've bought it though I'd probably give it at least 2 episodes, but you definitely have to go into it with a different frame of mind, it's not a fast paced show, it's more of a slower burn I guess!

I think sometimes you can get a show that will change tone and you need time to get into it, but I wouldn't count VE as the same type of thing really. You're probably right if you don't get into it within an episode or two it may not be for you.

If you've bought it though I'd probably give it at least 2 episodes, but you definitely have to go into it with a different frame of mind, it's not a fast paced show, it's more of a slower burn I guess!
I haven't bought it yet. Was checking it out on Netflix to see if it would be something I might enjoy enough to own. I'm a very picky person lol 😅 and drama and romance usually aren't my genre so I'm being cautious as it's not cheap either.

Well if I don't get this I can use the money instead to pickup penguindrum which while also a blind buy, sounds like something more fantastical which I always like.

Yeah it's basically drama and romance so doesn't sound like your kind of thing in that respect! I like it but I like to mix up genres a bit too, depends what I'm in the mood to see, penguindrum did look interesting actually was meaning to investigate some more once I'd completed some of my backlog.

Maybe give ep2 a shot on VE, but like you, I know when I don't want to invest more time on something, and am doing better to stop myself watching something I'm not that into.

Yeah it's basically drama and romance so doesn't sound like your kind of thing in that respect! I like it but I like to mix up genres a bit too, depends what I'm in the mood to see, penguindrum did look interesting actually was meaning to investigate some more once I'd completed some of my backlog.

Maybe give ep2 a shot on VE, but like you, I know when I don't want to invest more time on something, and am doing better to stop myself watching something I'm not that into.
Yeah I will do that. I think it deserves the good old 3 episode chance.

@Vincentdante
My run down of VE series plus OVA goes as such:
Wouldn't say spoilery, but just in case.
1-5 Boring Automaton learns what different types of love are in, mostly, anime original material. Some of the clients she meets are OK.
6 Still not quite a human, but LN content. A good episode.
7 OMG the feels
8 & 9 Finally some backstory
10 OMG the feels part 2
11-13 OK, but some very silly stuff happens with the writing, which seems unrealistic compared to what they've set up.
OVA ep 4.5 Was better than 1-5, but not as good as 7-10.
7-10 definitely very good episodes, but most only meh to good.
Gave a 7, with an extra point for the art and animation.

Last edited:
I really hope AL get the license for the Konosuba movie soon
Same here, I missed out on the chance to watch the film at the cinema and I haven't been bothered to watch it on Crunchyroll. Since Anime Limited have been using the Discotek discs for the series, if Discotek does announce the license (for US & Canada) at their Twitch stream tonight (2am for those wondering) then Anime Ltd might announce it sooner.

Same here, I missed out on the chance to watch the film at the cinema and I haven't been bothered to watch it on Crunchyroll. Since Anime Limited have been using the Discotek discs for the series, if Discotek does announce the license (for US & Canada) at their Twitch stream tonight (2am for those wondering) then Anime Ltd might announce it sooner.
I enjoyed it a lot but I got into Konosuba in early 2020 so I missed it in cinema. I'd definetely recommend you check it out, and hopefully its tonight then! Iirc Anime Ltd did say they had some unannounced stuff but I could be remembering wrong.

Edit: No I'm remembering right - "It’s worth noting that this isn’t all we have going on this August, as we’ll have some other summer celebrations that we’ll be telling you more about in due course, but for now this is plenty of get excited about!": NEWSWIRE: July 2021 Releases + August Sneak Peek – All the Anime

@Vincentdante
My run down of VE series plus OVA goes as such:
Wouldn't say spoilery, but just in case.
1-5 Boring Automaton learns what different types of love are in, mostly, anime original material. Some of the clients she meets are OK.
6 Still not quite a human, but LN content. A good episode.
7 OMG the feels
8 & 9 Finally some backstory
10 OMG the feels part 2
11-13 OK, but some very silly stuff happens with the writing, which seems unrealistic compared to what they've set up.
OVA ep 4.5 Was better than 1-5, but not as good as 7-10.
7-10 definitely very good episodes, but most only meh to good.
Gave a 7, with an extra point for the art and animation.
Yeah it's been a while since I watched the series but I agree it's very much a mixed bag. I still enjoyed it but some episodes are definitely stronger than others, especially episode 10.

I find the show good the lows get counteracted by the highs. My problem is more with Gaiden as its disjointed and I strongly dislike the first half which is sadly the half in all the artwork. Ngl I only bought the set because I hope "The Movie" is better.

Yeah I will do that. I think it deserves the good old 3 episode chance.
The thing with Violet Evergarden is, the first three episodes are all just setup for the series, and are a somewhat different tone from the rest of the series. The meat of the story only begins with episode 4, and it doesn't get hard-hitting until the second half of the series. Some of those episodes will take your breath away. Episodes 4-11 are basically individual stories with Violet learning about a different type of love in each episode. There is a lot of character development, not just for Violet but with every person she interacts with in these stories. Episodes 12-13 is a wrap-up adventure, and the separate OVA Episode 14 is a must-watch. Chronologically it takes place between episodes 4 and 5 but is an awesome and much better finish to the season, and also fills in the gap of how her writing skills improved so much between those two episodes.

Last edited:
So the 4 compilation films that came with the original series released by AL, are these "Violet Evergarden the Movie" or something different

I know the movie thats currently on Early Bird is a different movie

Good to see UP1 have an expected date on their site for VE. Annoying its taken almost a year but oh well

Back