UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Tempted by the deal on Kino’s journey but I haven’t bought anime on dvd in ages because the subtitles always look ****. Is it my blu ray player that is at fault or is that just the way they all are, and I never noticed before I had a big hd tv?

Tempted by the deal on Kino’s journey but I haven’t bought anime on dvd in ages because the subtitles always look ****. Is it my blu ray player that is at fault or is that just the way they all are, and I never noticed before I had a big hd tv?
It's not your player, from what I understand subtitles on dvds are typically (if not always) implemented as up to 4 colour (including transparency) images muxed into the mpeg stream, with absolutely no anti-aliasing, so there isn't much any particular player can do to make them look any better, short of using optical character recognition to convert the bitmaps to text and rendering it with a decent font, and I haven't heard of any player (hardware or software) that offers this.

Worth remembering that the dvd format was finalized about 25 years ago, and hasn't really changed a bit since then. ;)

Yeah, DVD subtitles are awful. Pity Kino's Journey didn't get an SD Blu-ray release for better compression and subtitles. Or just Blu-ray with the video left as is and not smeared like Gankutsuou and others.

A small addition: DVD-Subtitles are stored in 3:2 bitmaps, so for series released in widescreen the player has to stretch them to 16:9, which makes it even worse.

Subtitle Edit 3.6 Help might give you the opportunity to convert the subtitles - but it's not fully automatic, as it will require some (assisted) spellchecking.

Violet Evergarden arrived from Amazon and can finally I also got one set of stamps really doesn't seem like anyone got two sets at this rate xD, it did also have some damage to the spine which is a shame.
DSC_0006.JPG

Yeah the edges on Evergarden seem abit more prone to damage than usual oddly enough, amazon prob would replace that though or atleast give a partial refund if ya asked

Amazon really suck at packaging for the CE's, no protection at all on them, and they get thrown about by their logistics people. You should def moan at them for that.

Back