UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Also, correct me if I'm misremembering, but while we know that Toho have better transfers ready for some of the Godzilla films they haven't actually released them themselves in Japan yet have they? Additionally, they let Criterion restore the original 1954 film themselves back in 2011 from a 35mm fine-grain positive and thereby release a transfer that is superior to what Toho have in Japan so far. Toho have since done a new 4K restoration, but it's still sitting on the shelf.

Also, correct me if I'm misremembering, but while we know that Toho have better transfers ready for some of the Godzilla films they haven't actually released them themselves in Japan yet have they? Additionally, they let Criterion restore the original 1954 film themselves back in 2011 from a 35mm fine-grain positive and thereby release a transfer that is superior to what Toho have in Japan so far. Toho have since done a new 4K restoration, but it's still sitting on the shelf.
I believe some of those restorations have aired on Japanese television (and were around before Criterions Showa Era release). Why Toho hasn't released them on Blu-ray is unclear but it's not remotely surprising that they weren't shared with Criterion.

Last edited:
Hey, haven't posted here in a while. My Durarara x2 (ketsu) set was cancelled from the 12 days sale because their shipment of that title was "lost." Looks like it's unavailable now and seemingly out of print. What are the chances that it will get a standard edition release? I have parts 1 & 2 to but not 3 so it's mildly annoying to have an incomplete series.

Hey, haven't posted here in a while. My Durarara x2 (ketsu) set was cancelled from the 12 days sale because their shipment of that title was "lost." Looks like it's unavailable now and seemingly out of print. What are the chances that it will get a standard edition release? I have parts 1 & 2 to but not 3 so it's mildly annoying to have an incomplete series.

Zavvi still have the CE of Ketsu still listed as buy now at £41.99.

For ketsu I would try ebay there has been a few up new since january at reasonble prices of £25 and new (Could even try an offer if you want to shave a smidge off)
I would try this one

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I probably should have mentioned that I'm in the USA, sorry. Does CEX ship internationally? I could order from Zavvi but last I checked they were charging $10 USD for shipping (which is still lower than Amazon UK's exorbitant overseas shipping).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I probably should have mentioned that I'm in the USA, so

ry. Does CEX ship internationally? I could order from Zavvi but last I checked they were charging $10 USD for shipping (which is still lower than Amazon UK's exorbitant overseas shipping).

I believe they don't ship outside the UK. :(

I find the weekly deal emails a bit annoying because they feel laid out to be misleading.

Maybe it's not the intention but the way AL always uses the image of the bluray and attention grabbing colour for the price seems aimed specifically at making you think the bluray is priced that way.

Either put both in the email with seperate prices and images or show the format that's actually selling for the attention grabbing price.

I find the weekly deal emails a bit annoying because they feel laid out to be misleading.

Maybe it's not the intention but the way AL always uses the image of the bluray and attention grabbing colour for the price seems aimed specifically at making you think the bluray is priced that way.

Either put both in the email with seperate prices and images or show the format that's actually selling for the attention grabbing price.
That is the price techincally. Just no one seems to want the DVD around here. :p

Your not the only one, that gets me every time as well, as I see standard edition Blu ray (no mention of a DVD or visual of one) so assume just ruling out collector's edition deal.
And yes it annoys me a bit, it's a marketing thing to get you to click the link, so don't see them changing, but I would still prefere they at least added a DVD picture.

Last edited:

Totally didn't get what you meant until I went looking for the most recent AL email and yeah thats some pretty underhanded marketing...

To save people looking it up this is the email:
Screenshot_20210310-174153_Email.jpg

I mean, it does set you up for disappointment. I thought the same when I saw Promare on offer and it put me off getting it when I realised, so their marketing can backfire depending on the person I suppose.
But Neil is right, it does say "from" so they're not technically deceiving anyone. We just gotta learn to actually read all the info and not be taken in by the image and price haha

I mean, it does set you up for disappointment. I thought the same when I saw Promare on offer and it put me off getting it when I realised, so their marketing can backfire depending on the person I suppose.
But Neil is right, it does say "from" so they're not technically deceiving anyone. We just gotta learn to actually read all the info and not be taken in by the image and price haha
1615405063998.png

I didn't even know AL sent weekly deal emails!

The last marketing email I got from them was in August 2019 - I thought they must have just stopped sending emails about early birds and stuff, but I must have accidentally unsubscribed somehow. 😅

That's a very strong word. I can't say I agree. It does say from the price show, indicating that that's the cheapest option of the standard editions (plural) on offer. 😕
Sorry, maybe underhanded is a bit strong. Misleading? Is that better? They could've quite easily had a DVD packshot next to the blu ray with the price of each underneath so having the blu ray packshot with the DVD price underneath in huge red font was an intentional choice.

End of the day like I said it's marketing.
Maybe I expect better of AL but they're a business too 😂

I didn't even know AL sent weekly deal emails!

The last marketing email I got from them was in August 2019 - I thought they must have just stopped sending emails about early birds and stuff, but I must have accidentally unsubscribed somehow. 😅
apparently it unsubscribes you if you don't tick the box when ordering even if you're already subscribed

Sorry, maybe underhanded is a bit strong. Misleading? Is that better? They could've quite easily had a DVD packshot next to the blu ray with the price of each underneath
Hey, don't apologise to me, dude. 🙂

But yeah, I can go along with that, certainly.

(Though if I was trying to get someone to click a link in an email, I'd do it exactly like AL do. It's clever. 😅)

Back