UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

An easy pass. While I'd love to own this on 4K, I've already rewatched it a few times so unless it hits that £30 mark then its not worth rebuying (Price > Enjoyment)

As someone on twitter pointed out this is similar to the millennium Actress release but it costs £3 more on early bird. (Guessing regular sale price will be £39.99 or £41.99? So £8 or £10 more than MA)

Annoying as I've asked for 4k YN a few times now, love Shinkai films and the work hes done for VN's and adverts but after the awful WWY communication my reaction to 4K Your Name was just "I don't care anymore" lol

Yeah same. While a 4k upgrade would be nice I already own the blu-ray steelbook from a mystery box this is an easy skip until a christmas sale or something for me.

I pre-ordered El-Melloi from MVM anyway so that's my entertainment budget this month spent ontop of my other purchases. Sadly I can't afford the F91 pre-order next week either but between the two I know which I wanted more. If the CE doesn't sell out I'll grab it later.

maybe lacking heart somewhat
Coming back to this point about HELLO WORLD again but only because I have an ulterior motive for bringing it up. 😏

I actually thought that the film had a lot of heart in it myself. I feel like CG films often fall victim to viewers having an initial "Ah, it's CG. 😬" kind of reaction, and then the film has to "prove itself", if you will, in a way that hand-drawn animation doesn't have to.

(I'm not criticising, just thinking out loud here because, as you'll see in a moment, I have an ulterior motive for bringing this up. 😛)

I was getting Girl Who Leapt Through Time vibes from it
Interesting you mention GWLTT as I was getting Summer Wars vibes from it
The nearest vibes I felt like I was getting from HELLO WORLD was of The Relative Worlds, an excellent CG film that was shown at Scotland Loves Anime 2019. That's another one that I would really like to see on UK Blu-ray. ✋😮💬❗❗

Hint, hint, hint, hint...

No extras currently listed for F91.

Ayq58CF.gif

I am still hoping we get the Nozomi master for Gundam F91.

Question: is there a reason why Anime Limited would choose a French master over a US master that has already been released a while ago for a particular release.
Just a thought

I am still hoping we get the Nozomi master for Gundam F91.

Question: is there a reason why Anime Limited would choose a French master over a US master that has already been released a while ago for a particular release.
Just a thought
AL have a UK and French branch, so if the release is going to be put out in both places it probably costs less to produce the same discs across both areas vs having a disc that's specifically for the UK and one that's specifically for France.

Toho seems to have mellowed recently I have observed. Old Toho never would have made something like Shin Godzilla which was so far removed from main Godzilla.
I guarantee you Toho haven't mellowed; just ask anyone who bought the Criterion Godzilla set. Toho have a restored 4K master of King Kong vs Godzilla, but wouldn't allow Criterion to use it, so the version on that set is cobbled together from the 1080p master of the US cut and SD upscaled footage of the extra scenes that are only in the original Japanese cut. Several other films in that set (including some of the best ones) are completely unmatted, so you can see prominent film splices flashing at the bottom between every shot. Toho digitally removed the splices for their JP blu-rays, but gave Criterion the inferior unaltered versions. I asked Criterion why they hadn't done anything to cover or remove the splices, and they tried to pass it off as a feature of 'authenticity' rather than a flaw, but this is exactly the kind of restoration work they would normally do, so it's pretty clear that Toho just wouldn't let them.

As for Shin Godzilla, the reason it's such a departure is likely more to do with the terms of their contract with Legendary Pictures. Ever since Godzilla 2014 was a financial success, Toho have been champing at the bit to get a slice of that action, but I think the contract with Legendary limits what projects they can do until it expires, so we got a film that somewhat reinvented the character, and anime adaptations that probably get around the wording of the contract.

Last edited:
I guarantee you Toho haven't mellowed; just ask anyone who bought the Criterion Godzilla set. Toho have a restored 4K master of King Kong vs Godzilla, but wouldn't allow Criterion to use it, so the version on that set is cobbled together from the 1080p master of the US cut and SD upscaled footage of the extra scenes that are only in the original Japanese cut. Several other films in that set (including some of the best ones) are completely unmatted, so you can see prominent film splices flashing at the bottom between every shot. Toho digitally removed the splices for their JP blu-rays, but gave Criterion the inferior unaltered versions. I asked Criterion why they hadn't done anything to cover or remove the splices, and they tried to pass it off as a feature of 'authenticity' rather than a flaw, but this is exactly the kind of restoration work they would normally do, so it's pretty clear that Toho just wouldn't let them.

As for Shin Godzilla, the reason it's such a departure is likely more to do with the terms of their contract with Legendary Pictures. Ever since Godzilla 2014 was a financial success, Toho have been champing at the bit to get a slice of that action, but I think the contract with Legendary limits what projects they can do until it expires, so we got a film that somewhat reinvented the character, and anime adaptations that probably get around the wording of the contract.
Man that's just petty. Why would Toho go and cripple it like that? I was actually thinking of buying that set as well so thanks for the heads up.

From what I understand in regards to the current deal between Legendary and Toho, it was to expire in 2020 but Legendary was apparently able to retain the rights for longer for Godzilla vs Kong, but apparently now it is a shared license for as long as Legendary keep making Godzilla films. So who knows, rumour has it that Toho wants to make their own shared universe along side the Legendary one.

Last edited:
AL have a UK and French branch, so if the release is going to be put out in both places it probably costs less to produce the same discs across both areas vs having a disc that's specifically for the UK and one that's specifically for France.
I really don't mind sharing with France but I also really want extras on my disc. Sometimes feels like the response to "Release Gundam more regularly" has become "Ok, but be thankful you're getting the main feature."

Man that's just petty. Why would Toho go and cripple it like that? I was actually thinking of buying that set as well so thanks for the heads up.

From what I understand in regards to the current deal between Legendary and Toho, it was to expire in 2020 but Legendary was apparently able to retain the rights for longer for Godzilla vs Kong, but apparently now it is a shared license for as long as Legendary keep making Godzilla films. So who knows, rumour has it that Toho wants to make their own shared universe along side the Legendary one.

There are a couple of factors. First is the usual fear of Japanese customers reverse-importing a cheaper release. As for the rest, you can probably blame Media Blasters. Several years ago, they released Destroy All Monsters on blu-ray, and included a pile of extras that Toho hadn't licensed to them, including some for other movies that they hadn't licensed. Toho hit the roof, demanded a recall, and that blu-ray vanished in short order, replaced with a bare-bones release. Ever since then, Toho have become extra draconian when it comes to licensing to US-based companies. Media Blasters essentially went and burnt the trust that other companies had spent years building with Toho.

That said, if you want those movies, the Criterion is probably the only UK release they will ever get. Not all the films are affected by the splicing problem, and there are ways around it. If you have a BD drive in your PC, some media players have settings to manually crop the image, so you can cover the splices yourself. VLC can do this, and so can MPC-HD if you install a codec pack called ffdshow. You would need to find a way to play the movies in those programs, however.

The affected movies are:
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
Invasion of Astromonster
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Megalon
All Monsters Attack

If you can play region A discs and only want an English subtitled copy
I don't have a region-A player, so I'll cross my fingers for something B-compatible. 🤞

Thanks for pointing that out all the same, though. 🙂

I'm sort of surprised this film wasn't picked up for English distribution.
Is there no US release of it, then? 😯
The BD that you linked to looks like the one I was looking at on Amazon.

If that's the case, then I'm actually shocked.

Hopefully AL's credit as distributor can extend beyond just the Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme...

Back