UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Why the "Blu ray 2020 Ltd collector's edition" under the title? Prepping for a standard release down the line already or did someone just ctrl+c the Alchemist header and change the series? 🤔😂
Honestly, It's been an insanely busy week and I clearly missed that when sorting things out due to my brain feeling like it's melted. Corrected now though!

Destiny looks like 2021 in America as I can’t see normal seed being till Q4 now.
I dunno if we will get it here because the new version would have to be classified and people would want the Old dub so it would be a big set that wouldn’t match any of the others

Given rightstuf recently announced the Build specials, I'm hoping we can start getting the Build series here this year.

In utter pipe dreams, part of me hopes we get a UK release of SD Gundam Force.

More importantly will there be the model that the States got, or is that more UE territory? 😜

This is all that I kept from the Funimation IBO LE set...

ibolefull1.jpg

Last edited:
If I've never watched any Gundam before, can I still jump in on this one and enjoy/understand it? 😃

Is it a good start? Or do I have to go all the way back to the first anime? 😆

If I've never watched any Gundam before, can I still jump in on this one and enjoy/understand it? 😃

Is it a good start? Or do I have to go all the way back to the first anime? 😆
IBO is a standalone series and in my opinion one of the most culturally relevant to the modern world.

At most, there's a cute meta line about "Ha ha, we're part of a 40 year franchise". Easily ignored.

IBO is a standalone series and in my opinion one of the most culturally relevant to the modern world.

At most, there's a cute meta line about "Ha ha, we're part of a 40 year franchise". Easily ignored.

That sounds good to me 😃 Then I might just get this one. Since it's pretty new I guess that it looks really good as well 😊

The episode count per disc is a bit wierd. some discs have as many as 9 episodes but Disc 2 has four while Disc 4 has three. Why not spread them evenly for 6-7 per disc?

I know they are using the Funi discs so the question is more at Funimation's choice than AL.

The episode count per disc is a bit wierd. some discs have as many as 9 episodes but Disc 2 has four while Disc 4 has three. Why not spread them evenly for 6-7 per disc?

I know they are using the Funi discs so the question is more at Funimation's choice than AL.

I think this might be because the discs were originally authored to be a two-part set. Each of those parts would have had 1 double layer 50GB disc (9 episodes) and 1 single-layer 25GB disc (4 or 3 episodes).

Re-authoring the discs now that it's one box set is too expensive, so you end up with this.

(this is just my speculation, I might be totally wrong)

The 9/3 or 9/4 split with one BD50 + one BD25 is more or less standard for all Funimation releases and all 1-Cour-Sentai-shows.
Whilest Sentai re-releases 2-Cour-Shows in complete sets with 3x BD50, Funimation uses their previously authored 2x BD50 + 2x BD25.
(Only Exception: 2-Cour-Shows that were previously DVD-only sometimes get 3x BD50 from Funi).

To save costs, almost all UK-Blu-rays are clones from their respective Funi or Sentai releases, even keeping the trailers of titles not licensed in the UK.

The 9/3 or 9/4 split with one BD50 + one BD25 is more or less standard for all Funimation releases and all 1-Cour-Sentai-shows.
Whilest Sentai re-releases 2-Cour-Shows in complete sets with 3x BD50, Funimation uses their previously authored 2x BD50 + 2x BD25.
(Only Exception: 2-Cour-Shows that were previously DVD-only sometimes get 3x BD50 from Funi).

To save costs, almost all UK-Blu-rays are clones from their respective Funi or Sentai releases, even keeping the trailers of titles not licensed in the UK.

Ok makes sense. One question though what is a cour? Thats new terminology to me

Ok makes sense. One question though what is a cour? Thats new terminology to me

A portion of a television program aired over the course of one such period, comprising 10 to 14 weekly episodes.

Basicslly if a series is split for airing into 2 half with a break in the middle then its described as being 2 cour.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where the use of the term "cour" in the anime industry originates from? 🤨
I've wondered.

I'm not a pro but this is a good explanation I found online.

The original Japanese word is クール, two course which is pronounced, kuru (funnily enough, the same spelling and reading as cool when using the English word in Japanese). It is thought to come from the French word cours which means lecture or course and it can be easy to see how the word could have been reinterpreted in much the same way we have in English when discussing meals. We two-course meal, meanwhile in Japan they can enjoy a two course anime series

Back