UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

@thedoctor2016 Why are you so happy to buy AoA sets with their small booklets and amarays yet you criticise AL for doing the same? (At a significantly lower price)
Because I buy AoA for the discs and AoA have never done any better book wise. AL have done better booklet wise. I only got say SAO because it was 24 eps and I knew AUS and UK looked like having to get two sets. ALs SAO II we’re better book wise that much is true so it would be nice for Alicization to follow suit,
Digipack wise AL is what made me like digipacks and I don’t know why they seem to have gone away from them. Bar the stacked sets cos of GL etc. AL have done better a lot of the time this past year I think the quality of discs to sets have just collapsed. Ballrooms discs are not good at all yet they’ve never commented on it and I don’t like getting A3 posters as an extra as they aren’t that big and folded anyway,

i wonder if the CEs getting an amaray case instead of the horrible digipak cases is going to be a thing going forward, would be nice because then it means i won't have to wait 1-2 years for a regular release if one even happens on future releases

Worth clarifying that as a general rule we sfill use digipacks - exceptions to this rule really come into three categorgies:
  • One-disc LE's: One disc digipacks look a bit weird so Amarays tend to work better for us that way (rare, but it does happen.)

• Re-issues: Testament of New Sister Devil, Terror in Resonance and A Silent Voice are all examples of this where we feel there's something special left to do with the standard version of the release.

• Weird projects: Where there's a logical reason for it - like I have way too much artwork for a digipack that reversible sleeves can fix or I can store something safely inside an Amaray. (This is also rare, there's only one of these in the pipeline just now and I don't see any others cropping up.)
So to confirm - there's no big policy shift for us there on how we do our LE's there.

Them using digipacks is the only thing that makes like their current CEs with posters that add nothing and small <30pg books.
FUNi has finally learnt to include 50pg + books while ALs are shrinking what has happened

Re booklets - worth pointing out that it really depends on the material available for the series, we don't do small booklets because we want to but generally based on what is actually available. Where we can, we usually do include larger page counts - it just happens a wave of recent Q1 titles haven't had the assets required to do one. So there's no systematic change here in process here either :).

Speaking of chunky books, I know both a good selection of the upcoming shows for this year that we're excited to get to y'all (including Konosuba and Promare) have chunky books coming with them so that should be something to look forward to!

Very best,

AP

I own a few Jp movie sets with only 1 disc and the digipack still looks amazing to me, if anything looks better as the art is always showing on the discless side of the interior.

I own a few Jp movie sets with only 1 disc and the digipack still looks amazing to me, if anything looks better as the art is always showing on the discless side of the interior.

Certainly it varies from project to project - sometimes the artwork lines up perfectly for that and if it does, we'd definitely consider it too!

Speaking of chunky books, I know both a good selection of the upcoming shows for this year that we're excited to get to y'all (including Konosuba and Promare) have chunky books coming with them so that should be something to look forward to!

Looks like that's the collectors edition for Konosuba confirmed then ;)

On the topic of Promare, any chance we'll be getting the soundtrack CD with the CE? 😁

Any news about Sakura? :)

Sure do - it's on for this year just now, the slowdown is we're currently retrieving the latest version of the BD masters which were upped to 4K as we figure if we're doing this, best do it properly and use the best version we can!

Will keep folks updated as it's going to be a fun ride integrating the language assets I am sure...

Best,

AP

Sure do - it's on for this year just now, the slowdown is we're currently retrieving the latest version of the BD masters which were upped to 4K as we figure if we're doing this, best do it properly and use the best version we can!

Will keep folks updated as it's going to be a fun ride integrating the language assets I am sure...

Best,

AP
GauU1Af.gif

(despite the subtitles, yes that means Sakura is excited)

Half of me is hoping it doesn't turn out too great, as I already have the French box and my double dips are a bad habit. The other half wants it to, because I don't really like the box box design there too much. Hmmm. 🤔

I'm guessing a 1-disc digipack would look something like the Love Live! Sunshine! digipack, but with one side being clear artwork instead of having a disc tray? I wonder that would work practically - like, would one side have to be thicker to off-set the weight balance?

Speaking of digipacks, I was looking at my shelf and was reminded that the Lupin the 3rd: Part IV set is gorgeous. A chonky thing, but a think of beauty. Hopefully Part 5 will match it when the time comes.

Back