UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Fun fact: Episode 15 did air in 1980 in Italy somewhere between February and March, but that was apparently an unauthorized dub. The episode was skipped in the 1980 Hong Kong broadcast, so Tomino was already exerting his power back then.

The awkward thing is that other media references that ep. Like it's been a map in Gundam games and they even gave the title character a sidestory manga.

I think there's various problems.

For one, Sunrise are infamously defensive of Gundam as their flagship property. They've softened in past 15 years (they had some ludicrous ideas as to how it would go global at the start of the century) but it's still a title they have immense confidence in. Consider how Gundam already arguably crashed in the Western market but has come back through sheer determination to make it a thing.

Another issue the question of just how you pitch it to fans outside Japan/Asia. Gundam owes its success to when it was released in Japan. What it defined in 1979, cultural nostalgia, etc. It's a bit like why Doctor Who is a huge thing over here even today but no one talks anymore about something like Primeval. Gundam has the UC timeline which is blighted by dated animation and a large backlog. Something Sunrise had realised by the mid 90s which is why they started the AU concept. So which series does an overseas licentiatensor go with? What will Sunrise even allow them to? We were told the plan was to start the UK releases with the UC timeline but those have never been released here before. What little Gundam nostalgia exists in the UK is for Wing and a bit of SEED and 00.

Good points though unlike the UK the US got different taste of various Gundam Series. What partly killed Gundam in the US was Seed which was heavily edited for Cartoon Network block dropped in ratings fast. The rest of the series wasn't aired just released on DVD. 00 Gundam was aired on Sci-fi subsequently no new Gundam series aired until 2016 Iron Blooded Opharns. Sunrise are partly to blame for Gundam decline in the US.

If we talking about Japan the reason AU concept was started was to branch out and the massive pressure from Bandai their main sponsor to shift merchandise. Mobile G Fighter wasn't even successful in Japan but did improve in toy sales. In fact 08th MS Team did better in ratings. In general Mecha has taken a decline in general not really popular among current anime fans.

I think sunrise do still take stupid decisions like IBO and Dive fighters going FUNi Cos popular so ofc we need FUNi to split the seasons to parts and release crap LEs and the whole import releases which I feel delay our eventual releases, 18 months for Thunderbolt 2 wasn’t great. But at least in the US bar the whole FUNi stuff it’s seemed to carved its own market and is doing well for Nozomi and therefore sunrise.
And yes after like evangelion I can’t think any of the TV gundams being great like Seed and 00 are mediocre at best and IBO is good not great. I feel its more Gundam hasn’t put out its best since the change of mechs Eva brought.

Yeah I still didn't understand how that worked. As far as I know Nozomi is suppose to be the exclusive distributor for Gundam. Don't know what backyard shenanigans happened but I thought that was strange

People who pre-ordered the sub-only release should have already received an email from Jeremy detailing how to purchase this set for £10.

It was a bit sad looking through my fairly lengthy order history and realising the last AL set I bought was Sound Euphonium back in August. Most of the 2017 titles I wanted ended up going to MVM & virtually none of my 2018 wish list, other than Hakumei & Mikochi have even been officially licensed in the US. I foresee a bit of a dry spell once Girls Last Tour & those Kizu movies show up.

Having a quick look, these I presume are the current list of anime that do not have a standard Blu-ray release:
Various titles:
  • 009 Re:Cyborg
  • Ajin: Demi-Human Season 1 & Movie 1 (DVD version available)
  • Angelic Layer
  • The Case of Hana & Alice (DVD version available)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion I - Initiation
  • Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution Movie 1: Renton (DVD version available)
  • Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya (DVD version available)
  • Fuse: Memoirs of a Hunter Girl (DVD version available)
  • KOKKOKU: Moment By Moment
  • A Letter to Momo (DVD version available)
  • Lupin the Third Part IV (Japanese Broadcast)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Movie Trilogy ~ Available in France
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin I-IV ~ Coming Soon in France
  • Momotaro: Sacred Sailors (Divine Sea Warriors)
  • Psychic School Wars (DVD version available)
  • Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise (DVD version available)
  • The Tatami Galaxy
  • Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning
  • Tiger & Bunny: The Rising
  • Tokyo Marble Chocolate
Aniplex titles:
  • The Anthem of The Heart (DVD version available)
  • Charlotte (Part 1) (DVD version available)
  • Charlotte (Part 2) (DVD version available)
  • Durarara!!x2 Arc 1: Shou (DVD version available)
  • Durarara!!x2 Arc 2: Ten (DVD version available)
  • Durarara!!x2 Arc 3: Ketsu (DVD version available)
  • Erased (Part 1) (DVD version available)
  • Erased (Part 2) (DVD version available)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (Part 1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (Part 2)
  • March comes in like a Lion (Season 1 Part 1)
  • March comes in like a Lion (Season 1 Part 2)
  • Samurai Flamenco (Part 1)
  • Samurai Flamenco (Part 2)
  • Your Lie in April (Part 1) (DVD version available)
  • Your Lie in April (Part 2) (DVD version available)
Crunchyroll titles:
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (Part 1) (DVD version available)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (Part 2) (DVD version available)
  • Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers- (DVD version available)
  • Sound! Euphonium

Extra book is reportedly included with the Shop Exclusive version of the French release.

Re_ZERO_-_Emilia_shock.gif

So I’m gonna email Bandai and see if you guys really weren’t given permission to use the Yoshida artwork on Maquia, if the now deleted French Tweet is true (which I doubt). I can understand choosing different art, but if that’s a lie about not being able to, then I hate to call bullsh*t, because if it’s simply untrue, it sets a false image about the Japanese licensor and the restrictions imposed on international distributors.

Back