UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Saison 1 - Edition Collector Blu-Ray
Langues: Japonais (2.0)
Sous-titres: Français
Wait, it's not having the dub? I had speculated that aside Anime Expo the dubs may have been the reason France and UK would be getting seperate releases (as was the case with Your Name and some others), but apparantly not.
My first time watch of 00 S1 was 2/3 in French. So kind of hope it's a information sheet mistake. But if not I guess I'll have a reason to keep my Beez DVDs after all. (Knowing me I probably will just add it on top though....)

(p.s. I know about spine consistency being important, but I can't help but feel that the provisory box image's spin kind of doesn't blend too well with the cover's blue. Is that just me?)

I hope that the 4K remaster of CCA was used. There is some unfortunate use of DNR, but the 4K remaster offers a nice upgrade over the old remaster in color reproduction (those reds on the Sazabi look beautiful now). Colors are too bright on the old remaster.

They don't advertise English support on their listings.

They never do (you can look at all the others releases on the website) that doens't mean anything in reallity, I really doubt that AL france authored those 3 series just for the french marked, it's 99% sure it's not the case.

But every other “joint” AL and AL FR gundam release they announced them at the same time. Like after MCM in London, AL FR said they had 00 and Thunderbolt yet here we get jack from UK side. I feel yes they are the same designs but not the same discs and not getting the same release date. (I’m gambling on being wrong for CCA but worst case I can just put my A disc in ALs box)

UK and France aren't exactly equal markets at this stage. The UK is in a bad place right now for various reasons and mecha anime has never really sold well here. I can well believe that these releases are likely intended for us too but it's just a matter of fact that we're not where we were when this license was first announced for the UK back in 2015.

As ever, only speculation from me. But it would do certain people good to consider some of these factors rather than just complain and assume we're being shortchanged because AL are lazy dicks or whatever they'd rather believe.

The problem is I know the reason is because 0079 sold **** (Or Sunrise expected US sales figs) but that doesnt excuse AL saying oh look we have Turn A we are reason Nozomi got the BD and 2 and a half years later no words. AL hope we have forgot half they promised they hinted at GBF where is that. Wing has been sneaked announced and the 00 UE whatever is nowhere to be seen and its nearly half way through 2019. I think AL and Sunrise are both at fault tbh.
This shows the more valuable market to me. We got 500 0079 film sets they got 1000 and now a SE, Origin we haven't got a SE. AL care about Gundam for france.
And why haven't we had the most popular gundam of recent time IBO It confuses cos that was popular here but at least AUS was Reg B
If stuff like Turn A is not viable they could just say.

Last edited:
AL have said before they're in a no win situation with Gundam. They give the UK something, French fans complain. They give France something, we complain. That podcast from about a year ago where they discuss this is sobering for how uncomfortable everyone in the conversation sounded, like some form of PTSD.

Quite frankly France has long been a bigger market for Gundam than the UK. Sunrise have even done CM's in Japan going "Look how popular Gundam is in France!". It's even a fact that a lot of Bandai stuff for the UK is filtered through France. France is the one that delegates from Japan to Bandai Namco UK and if you buy Gundam merch at official events like MCM you will see they sold on behalf of Cosmic Group, a French company.

Though in regards to IBO, that one was licensed to Funimation for some reason and we all know how much stress that causes UK releases lately.

I'm down of the BD of CCA uses the 4K scan and the original audio mix (DTS-HD MA 4.1).
The original mix is Dolby Stereo (2.0 matrixed surround track on Blu-ray), but I'm still very interested in the new discrete 4.1 mix since it should be a faithful rendition of what the movie would have sounded like if it was blown up to 70mm with a magnetic 6 track Dolby Stereo soundtrack (4.2 mix with two LFE channels, though some were released in 5.1).

Back