UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

meh, who cares about DVD releases anyway.
DVDs are still incredibly popular due to a multitude of factors, such as price and accessibility. There's still a large chunk of the market that haven't seen the appeal of Blu-ray, and I've even seen some non-anime titles be released on DVD & Digital HD, cutting out Blu-ray entirely.

Well, they certainly won't be in my collection. I've been totally HD in my home for over 10 years, so I dumped all my DVDs back in 2008. I can understand still having to buy older titles on the used market in their original DVD releases, but anything new has no business being on DVD anymore. I'm glad to see companies announcing they are discontinuing them, and at least go to SDBD for re-releases of older material.

DVDs are still incredibly popular due to a multitude of factors, such as price and accessibility. There's still a large chunk of the market that haven't seen the appeal of Blu-ray, and I've even seen some non-anime titles be released on DVD & Digital HD, cutting out Blu-ray entirely.

Yup, still waiting for The Orville to get a Blu-ray release...

I’d say it’s still handy to have the dvd format for titles that will never get Blu Ray or SDBD releases but otherwise I appreciate the better picture quality and amount of storage Blu Rays hold. Also does wonders for saving shelf space in places.

What does annoy me is when companies release a show on both formats and then drop BD support, which happened with Adventure Time. That and only having DVD releases for series’ that were filmed in HD.

Yeah, while it's not for me personally (except in cases when the Blu-ray is a horrible upscale) there's still a huge appeal in DVD for the casual market. Not necessarily the case with anime, but it can be a lot cheaper for those who aren't huge videophiles. I know certain family members are more than happy with DVD when it means they can pick up a film for only a couple of quid.

Ironically while DVDs are still going strong Blu-rays are on limited time with many people jumping ship from physical media to support digital store fronts, and the ever growing resolution format wars such as 4k and the newly released 8k. Not to mention there are actually a handful of DVD's with better quality than their blu-ray counterparts.

Personally if I was in a rush to replace all of my old DVD's I would be too well aware that I would end up having to do it all again.

Last edited:
Ironically while DVDs are still going strong Blu-rays are on limited time with many people jumping ship from physical media to support digital store fronts
Eh, I'm not really sure about that. Unless the telecoms infrastructure gets significantly upgraded streaming and digital downloads are never going to be able to match the quality of physical releases (a BD50 is 50gb, imagine downloading/streaming 50gb of data every time you wanted to watch a film, let alone a long series - would seriously clog the tubes) I think there'll be a place for them for a good while yet.

Eh, I'm not really sure about that. Unless the telecoms infrastructure gets significantly upgraded streaming and digital downloads are never going to be able to match the quality of physical releases (a BD50 is 50gb, imagine downloading/streaming 50gb of data every time you wanted to watch a film, let alone a long series - would seriously clog the tubes) I think there'll be a place for them for a good while yet.

I dunno, it's hard to really say but I've lost count at how many times I have been told through posts and videos I have seen with people saying that they are supporting digital only. Even at work I know some people who only watch things through Plex servers or Netflix. I for one am very happy with my blu-ray collection, but I have been told more than once by my buds that it's obsolete now.

I dunno, it's hard to really say but I've lost count at how many posts and vids I have seen with people saying they support digital only. Even at work I know some people who only watches things through Plex servers or Netflix.
Like the DVD thing, I think that's fine for the casual crowd. Video and audiophiles are going to want better quality however and are prepared to pay for it, so I don't see physical media going away.

Ironically while DVDs are still going strong Blu-rays are on limited time with many people jumping ship from physical media to support digital store fronts, and the ever growing resolution format wars such as 4k and the newly released 8k. Not to mention there are actually a handful of DVD's with better quality than their blu-ray counterparts.

Personally if I was in a rush to replace all of my old DVD's I would be too well aware that I would end up having to do it all again.
I agree with @ayase i doubt physical media is going away anytime soon. For example, if the BBC can re-release seasons of classic Doctor Who on Blu Ray and have them sell out then it shows that there’s still a market for high definition re-releases, and that there are people out there willing to re-invest.

As for 4K and 8K? The latter I doubt will be coming along anytime soon, while with the former I think there’s less of a scramble to upgrade to 4K from Blu Ray than there was with DVD to Blu Ray.

Like the DVD thing, I think that's fine for the casual crowd. Video and audiophiles are going to want better quality however and are prepared to pay for it, so I don't see physical media going away.

I agree with @ayase i doubt physical media is going away anytime soon. For example, if the BBC can re-release seasons of classic Doctor Who on Blu Ray and have them sell out then it shows that there’s still a market for high definition re-releases, and that there are people out there willing to re-invest.

As for 4K and 8K? The latter I doubt will be coming along anytime soon, while with the former I think there’s less of a scramble to upgrade to 4K from Blu Ray than there was with DVD to Blu Ray.

I agree it certainly won't go away anytime soon, I just have a bad feeling that is the way the world is going towards as much as I dislike it trust me. We already have 8k TV's available now for sale, Samsung and LG each have their own lines coming out throughout the year. As for DVD upgrades I'm just someone who is naturally reluctant to double dip on something I already bought in order to get as much use out of as possible. That's just me.

Oh the internet will overtake it soon. It’s wheres all the money investment wise is going. And fiber optic needs to improve is accuracy of transferring data over a long distance. As in theory it can travel 3x10-8 ms-1 as moves at the speed of light

Unless people start making films in 8k (and consumers start buying enormous 8k TVs they can actually tell the difference on) that format is going to remain relatively niche. You're not going to pull much more detail out of 35mm film with an 8k transfer than you are with a 4k transfer - It's only really going to benefit films shot on 70mm, of which there are comparatively few.

And as pertains to anime, I don't think anybody is going to be animating anywhere close to 8k for the foreseeable future (except perhaps 3D animation, where increasing render resolution is relatively easy - not dissimilar to increasing the resolution of a video game). They're barely animating in 1080p now. Decent 4k transfers are going to be limited to hand drawn stuff shot on 35mm, which again is not a lot. Old 16mm animation (the majority of hand-drawn TV series) and currently produced HD digital animation is not going to benefit from anything above 1080p, and SD digital animation usually looks pretty bad when it's upscaled to 1080 anyway, so upscaling today's animation to 4k would be a waste of time.

Oh the internet will overtake it soon. It’s wheres all the money investment wise is going.
And totally ignore a section of the market? One that, certainly as far as anime is concerned, makes a huge amount of money? The majority of profits for anime comes from the Japanese home video releases. I don't see it.

meh, who cares about DVD releases anyway.

I care!
Not all anime titles have or get a BD release.

Sure there are a few titles out there where it doesn't matter if you get the DVD or BD.

4K and 8K I consider that for the true hardcore geeks and fans. I am fine with regular DVD and BD releases. Even so, I still buy everything on physical media, because I like owning what I buy and have tangible proof of that. I also like the covers, artworks and designs, I appreciate the work that is put into a physical release.

People that move over to download and streams only , are not true fans or so far from being hardcore geeks as they can be.
Based on what is available in my own country Denmark... Let's just say they can't be anime fans.

Unless people start making films in 8k (and consumers start buying enormous 8k TVs they can actually tell the difference on) that format is going to remain relatively niche. You're not going to pull much more detail out of 35mm film with an 8k transfer than you are with a 4k transfer - It's only really going to benefit films shot on 70mm, of which there are comparatively few.

And as pertains to anime, I don't think anybody is going to be animating anywhere close to 8k for the foreseeable future (except perhaps 3D animation, where increasing render resolution is relatively easy - not dissimilar to increasing the resolution of a video game). Decent 4k transfers are going to be limited to hand drawn stuff shot on 35mm, which again is not a lot. Old 16mm animation (the majority of hand-drawn TV series) and currently produced HD digital animation is not going to benefit from anything above 1080p, and SD digital animation usually looks pretty bad when it's upscaled to 1080 anyway.

And totally ignore a section of the market? One that, certainly as far as anime is concerned, makes a huge amount of money? The majority of profits for anime comes from the Japanese home video releases. I don't see it.
You see that they are moving towards CE only releases. And Japan is changing as there is now more 3/4 ep sets than before as I assume 6 sets for 12/13 eps is not going so well surprise and production committee have more foreign investment so even old Japan has slightly changed its strategy. And Anime is going face a change sooner or later where animators get fair pay that's gonna happen I can see. So quoting anime whoosh isn't very fairly paid or structured isnt the best.

Sure there are a few titles out there where it doesn't matter if you get the DVD or BD.

4K and 8K I consider that for the true hardcore geeks and fans. I am fine with regular DVD and BD releases. Even so, I still buy everything on physical media, because I like owning what I buy and have tangible proof of that. I also like the covers, artworks and designs, I appreciate the work that is put into a physical release.

People that move over to download and streams only , are not true fans or so far from being hardcore geeks as they can be.
Based on what is available in my own country Denmark... Let's just say they can't be anime fans.

My thoughts perfectly summed up thank you. I just had some concerns with the trends I am seeing in the way media is going

not true fans or so far from being hardcore geeks as they can be
Maybe the case for older stuff, but if you're following the current season then a) it can't be done with physical and b) is probably even more hardcore because you'll probably be watching stuff that will never see the light of day physically in the West.
So I call that BS!

Back