UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

............ google eyed over that Erased part 1 price. Oh well, I had missed the EB by a few damn hours, which had me facedesk, but then somebody offered me to organize one copy from an AL stand at a con. Now I feel bad for having him have to carry that one atop a not too small pile home as well. @_@"

Can somebody tell me how Gankutsuou fares on BD? I think years ago I've read that the Japanese BD was supposed to be a pretty awful upscale.

Can somebody tell me how Gankutsuou fares on BD? I think years ago I've read that the Japanese BD was supposed to be a pretty awful upscale.

It's what you expect for a early digipaint release.

It's an ok upscale if you can accept there will be some quality loss in some details. Here is a full length review about the picture quality
myReviewer.com - Review for Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo
On the Blu-ray, Gankutsuou gets a 1.78:1 widescreen 1080p transfer. I asked All the Anime, and they confirmed that they have used the Japanese Blu-ray masters for their release. You might recall this Fandom Post forum post which offered some screen comparisons between the DVD and the Japanese Blu-ray which raised a few issues and eyebrows. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting of course, and luckily I have the Geneon discs at hand to compare. First the Blu-ray. It’s not bad at all at first acquaintance. The character outlines are certainly sharp and look high definition, but the real positive here is the 24fps progressive playback. The animation is smooth, flicker free and other than a hint of moiré on fine detail in a couple of scenes and the inevitable banding, the transfer looks flawless. Most apparent is that the end credit sequence is unmarred by compression artefacts.

Then I put the DVD in. Sure enough, the interlaced, 30fps transfer isn’t ideal, offering a slight sense of flicker to the image, pans and scrolls are a little jerky, the end credit sequence pretty much makes the DVD player surrender and cry, and this comes from a period when anime distributors didn’t offer progressive encodes on NTSC discs. But once you get past that, it becomes clear that the Blu-ray authors went overboard with the filtering. Certainly character outlines aren’t as sharp on the DVD as they are on the Blu-ray, but there is so much more texture detail on costume art, on hair, on background architecture that the DVD actually looks sharper overall. On top of that, there’s a degree of grain structure on the DVD that isn’t visible on the Blu-ray, and given that this is a digital animation, and any grain would be the creator’s intent, the loss of it on the Blu-ray has to be an error. But worst of all is just how vivid and striking the colours are on DVD, where you would expect the Blu-ray to excel. I do think that they have gone too far with the filtering and post-processing on the Blu-ray, and I can’t help but feel disappointed.

............ google eyed over that Erased part 1 price. Oh well, I had missed the EB by a few damn hours, which had me facedesk, but then somebody offered me to organize one copy from an AL stand at a con. Now I feel bad for having him have to carry that one atop a not too small pile home as well. @_@"

If you're an audiophile, get the Blu-ray. If you're a videophile source the old Geneon boxset. If you're not bothered either way, get the Funimation S.A.V.E. set. The audio on the Blu-ray is really rich and vibrant, compared to the comparatively tinny lossy DVD audio, but the upscale is unympathetic, artificially sharpened and detail DNRd out. You don't want Q-Tec smearing to detract from those wonderful costume designs and gorge backgrounds. The Geneon discs have extra features that the BD and Funi discs lack.

EDIT: Or what I said in that review...

Hm... Sounds a bit tricky.
I already have the Geneon Box. And the Funi SAVE (which I got mostly for packaging's artwork never actually watched it). And the two French DVD releases. But interesting to know, that the Funi one is visually worse than the Geneon one, though could have suspected that with it being two discs shorter than the Geneon one, I guess.
... Ah damn, I should probably just get it. First steelbook (which I don't like) to come in my shelf I suppose.
(The standard probably doesn't have the booklet I assume? I wonder if it's the same stuff my French DVD booklets already cover.)

So we're 9 days deep, anybody wanna update their predictions on Mystery Boxes!

I'm leaning towards:

Blood Lad (collector's or standard)
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Royal space force
Cowboy Bebop (standard)
Baccano (standard)
Noein
A letter to momo

*Samurai Flamenco PART 2 (the long shot!)*

Obviously two days of deals left so every thing could change lol

Got a feeling bloody lad....blood blockade and a punt at durarara shoux2 are going be in the box as places have had these on offer just recently just a guess those

I'm personally thinking that 009 Re: Cyborg or Blood Lad will be in there. I'm hoping for:
  • Tokyo Marble Chocolate
  • A letter to Momo
  • The Case of Hana & Alice
  • Belladonna of Sadness
  • Psychic School Wars
I'm hoping for these to be in there since they're titles I don't have. I know I'll get a duplicate or three but I can just resell. If all seven titles are ones I already have I'll be seldom surprised

I'm kind of betting that an Aldnoah bundle might show up tommorow or the day after. Simply out of the fact that I bought them at 2x49.99 and I'd have another reason to get google eyed, lol.

Kind of betting too, that Blood Lad is in the Mystery box, as well as 009. And Beck in the DVD one. Vanadis`, Psychic School Wars and Mai Ma Miracle too perhaps?

So we're 9 days deep, anybody wanna update their predictions on Mystery Boxes!

I'm leaning towards:

Blood Lad (collector's or standard)
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Royal space force
Cowboy Bebop (standard)
Baccano (standard)
Noein
A letter to momo

*Samurai Flamenco PART 2 (the long shot!)*

Obviously two days of deals left so every thing could change lol
The mystery box states it is only CEs for the bluray set.

As it stands I am expecting
Blood Blockade Battlefront,
Noien,
A Letter to Momo,
Royal Space Force,
The Case of Hana & Alice,
Belladonna of Sadness,
Tokyo Marble Chocolate

Wouldn't mind season 2 aldnoah got season 1...and lord vannadis...but to be fair most of the stuff I've wanted upto now as been on offer soooooo I'm happy

Updated my prediction list for the Blu-ray Collector's Edition Mystery Box.

The results are:
Films:
  • 009 Re:Cyborg
  • The Case of Hana & Alice
  • Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (not) Alone
  • A Letter to Momo
  • Patema Inverted
  • Psychic School Wars
  • Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Films (Released May-Current 2017):
  • The Anthem of the Heart
  • Belladonna of Sadness
  • Tokyo Marble Chocolate
TV Series:
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront
  • Blood Lad
  • Eden of the East
  • Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya
  • Lord Marksman and Vanadis
  • Noein ~to your other self~
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • Outlaw Star
  • Samurai Flamenco: Part 1
  • Tokyo ESP
  • Your Lie in April: Part 1
TV Series (Released May-Current 2017):
  • Black Butler: Book of Circus
  • Charlotte: Part 1
  • Martian Successor Nadesico
  • Prison School
  • Selector Infected WIXOSS
Absolutely won't be included:
Films:
  • Expelled From Paradise
  • Fuse: Memoirs of a Hunter Girl
  • HAL
  • Project Itoh: Harmony
  • A Silent Voice
  • Your Name
TV Series:
  • Ajin: Demi-Human
  • ALDNOAH ZERO (Season 1)
  • Assassination Classroom (Season 1): Part 1
  • Attack on Titan: Junior High
  • Claymore
  • Durarara!!x2 Shou
  • Durarara!!x2 Ten
  • ERASED: Part 1
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2003): Part 1
  • Gangsta.
  • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Gundam (all of it)
  • Hyouka: Part 1
  • Noragami Aragoto
  • Ping Pong the Animation
  • Psycho-Pass 2
  • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
  • The Tatami Galaxy
  • Tokyo Ghoul: Jack & Pinto
xaYS5X1.gif

The mystery box states it is only CEs for the bluray set.

As it stands I am expecting
Blood Blockade Battlefront,
Noien,
A Letter to Momo,
Royal Space Force,
The Case of Hana & Alice,
Belladonna of Sadness,
Tokyo Marble Chocolate

Ah I missed when they said CE's only... in which case I'll also go with Belladonna & Hana & Alice :p and maybe Eden of the East!

This is the part where they screw up everyone's predictions and have Blood Lad & BBB on sale tomorrow! Haha

Nothing for me today (except the feeling of being pretty annoyed ERASED is down to that already when Part 2 isn't even out yet...).

I hope Eden of the East turns up before the end, I really don't wanna buy this mystery box in the hopes it's in it man. :p

It's a complicated project, hoping for a late Q1 release but it all depends on the approvals - it's not a usual project as we wrote a whole book on the film to go with it so that takes time to clear as the widow of the director needs to approve it too. Will be worth it in the end though :).

AP

Fair enough. I had a feeling that due to the size of the book and the subject matter Clements is dealing with that approvals might have to be extra thorough, to avoid potentially ruffling feathers. Glad to see it's coming along.

Back