UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Has anyone who ordered the A Silent Voice CE from Anime-on-line received a dispatch email yet? Or are they also affected by the delay?
I think Anime-On-Line is who do fulfillment for Anime Limited so I would assume they are also affected by the delay.

Saw the set in HMV today (actually always surprised to see Anime Limited stuff in HMV) and it looks really nice but man I hope the bleed onto the spine isn't too bad on mine as the one in HMV was awful.

So if you think about it announcing there acquisitions at MCM is there reward for running a competent business.

I think that's a very simplistic and harsh way to look at things. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore MVM, but pushing an existing US/Australian edition through the BBFC with some minor changes and extra logos on the package is a completely different process to releasing something brand new or with content nobody else has. Picking up licenses which have already been neatly tied up in a package is a different prospect entirely to negotiating something complicated from scratch just because it's a title that ought to be back in circulation. We already know that MVM deliberately uses artwork which has already been cleared wherever possible to reduce delays in getting designs cleared (nothing wrong with that); they're both running with completely different strategies.

The UK fandom benefits from having a mix of approaches to cater to different people. AL are clearly willing to poke fun at their own missteps (the mug, for example) but given that they singlehandedly pulled me back from importing absolutely everything I own, they deserve more credit than being called incompetent simply for not announcing acquisitions on the same arbitrary schedule as someone else.

Can we focus on actual problems instead of being catty?

R

If it's any help everyone, normal service will resume somewhat on our channels tomorrow - when more people are back in HQ. (Is just me today.) Am planning to have a post rounding up everything announced and adding some extra details where possible, so if I'm able to elaborate on specifics of anything we announced I'll definitely try :)

Oh, off topic. Just posted an unboxing for Eureka Seven Ultimate and we have an early-bird offer on the go :D
[UNBOXING] Eureka Seven Ultimate Ed. – All the Anime

If it's any help everyone, normal service will resume somewhat on our channels tomorrow - when more people are back in HQ. (Is just me today.) Am planning to have a post rounding up everything announced and adding some extra details where possible, so if I'm able to elaborate on specifics of anything we announced I'll definitely try :)

Oh, off topic. Just posted an unboxing for Eureka Seven Ultimate and we have an early-bird offer on the go :D
[UNBOXING] Eureka Seven Ultimate Ed. – All the Anime

Pre Ordered :) So Great to finally have an Artbook for the series.

Very nice looking set. I'm part way into watching the series myself via a review copy, and I can't say I like it quite enough to part with £90 for it just yet, but I'll definitely stick an order in if I do later!

I'm so tempted to get the Eureka Seven UE, anyone want to buy my region A standard set with slip cover £30 posted :)

Far too sensible! You should just pre-order the UE like I did and then put it next to the Funimation LE like I will along with my Bandai LE Vols 1-12 with the CDs, Shirts and Manga and ... and .... and I think I need an intervention lol

Last edited:
Just to clarify Andrew, is the Utena movie something you'll need to license separately if there's interest further down the line, or does it clash with other rights and is currently unavailable for acquisition in the UK?

Also, poor Jeremy... I wonder if he's sobbing alone in the office, or actually having a whale of a time, blasting out Slayer at max volume in his boxers.

Last edited:
I think that's a very simplistic and harsh way to look at things. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore MVM, but pushing an existing US/Australian edition through the BBFC with some minor changes and extra logos on the package is a completely different process to releasing something brand new or with content nobody else has. Picking up licenses which have already been neatly tied up in a package is a different prospect entirely to negotiating something complicated from scratch just because it's a title that ought to be back in circulation. We already know that MVM deliberately uses artwork which has already been cleared wherever possible to reduce delays in getting designs cleared (nothing wrong with that); they're both running with completely different strategies.

The UK fandom benefits from having a mix of approaches to cater to different people. AL are clearly willing to poke fun at their own missteps (the mug, for example) but given that they singlehandedly pulled me back from importing absolutely everything I own, they deserve more credit than being called incompetent simply for not announcing acquisitions on the same arbitrary schedule as someone else.

Can we focus on actual problems instead of being catty?

R
Licensing more anime than you can handle is a bad approach some would call it incompetent

Also, poor Jeremy... I wonder if he's sobbing alone in the office, or actually having a whale of a time, blasting out Slayer at max volume in his boxers.
If I were him, I'd turn everyone's mugs around 180°, so they won't know there the handles are when they come in the next morning.(Pictures Andrew permanently blacklisting my name right now). :p

Licensing more anime than you can handle is a bad approach some would call it incompetent

I think incompetence is a strong word. Personally, I think Anime Limited are often victims of their own passion. Andrew, Jeremy and the whole crew clearly love anime a whole lot, and strive to give every one of their releases the LE treatment, going above and beyond what almost every other distributor would, but it is because of how far they're willing to go that it takes them so long to get anything out the door, as they're often creating packaging from scratch. I also think it's for the same reason they do pick up so many licences, because they honest to God just want to give them all really nice releases that they think they deserve. Sure, they have mistakes that slip through the cracks, but I think suggesting incompetence as a company is bordering on farcical.

Or perhaps AL's mistake was announcing things and expecting people to have patience... I mean personally I'd rather know what's licensed even if it's years off, but I can understand them deciding not to announce their licences early any more if all they get in return is "Are we there yet, are we there yet, ARE WE THERE YET?"

If you genuinely want an example of a distributor licensing more than they can handle, look at ADV, who licensed so much anime it bankrupted them and left multiple shows only half-way released. I see no any sign of AL "not being able to handle" what they've licensed, as far as I can see they're handling what they have very well. Maybe don't expect instantaneous releases of everything that gets licensed?

MVM currently have the film in the UK.

Since UK anime distributors are so friendly, I wonder if there's anyway for MVM and Anime Limited to come together to get a Blu-ray of the movie authored for the UK, which can be sold as part of AL's Collector's Edition, and MVM can sell as a standalone feature?

Or perhaps AL's mistake was announcing things and expecting people to have patience
I see no any sign of AL "not being able to handle" what they've licensed

I think this weekend's cancellation of Rakugo and Sound Euphonium might have had the effect or raising fandom ire, especially for people who were so invested in owning the shows that they would have been the high point of the release calendar for them. Certainly enough ire to allow a little hyperbole to venture into their opinions.

Back