UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

thedoctor2016 said:
You just don't buy it sales figures don't lie.
But they don't say anything either. There are lots of potential reasons for you not to buy something. Yeah it could be the price. But it could also be the format, the packaging, the show itself, the release date... Like it or not, communication is a good thing.

Well, AL are already committed to this release strategy at this point. What else could he say?

I think the £90 is a placeholder and AL aren't expecting anyone to pay that, but I don't think it'll be cheap either.

Also, your UBW comment didn't make a lot of sense, so its not like he could respond to that either...

I think we should stop panicking until something is confirmed by AL. £91 is very much on the high side and given that placeholder pricing is frequently used on Amazon, there's not really any point in freaking out until Andrew/Jeremy come on here and confirm or correct it.

I would have expected something more like £60 at most for this comparing it to other AL releases and having seen the show on Wakanim when it was airing. If £91 is the correct price (AOL lists the RRP as £99.99) then I imagine it will come down significantly when its listing has been finalised and the proper discounts are in place.

R

Buzz201 said:
Well, AL are already committed to this release strategy at this point. What else could he say?

I think the £90 is a placeholder and AL aren't expecting anyone to pay that, but I don't think it'll be cheap either.

Also, your UBW comment didn't make a lot of sense, so its not like he could respond to that either...

I was making a comparison to similar sized sets that are more expensive. He could say there planning a SE blu ray?

Rui said:
I think we should stop panicking until something is confirmed by AL. £91 is very much on the high side and given that placeholder pricing is frequently used on Amazon, there's not really any point in freaking out until Andrew/Jeremy come on here and confirm or correct it.

I would have expected something more like £60 at most for this comparing it to other AL releases and having seen the show on Wakanim when it was airing. If £91 is the correct price (AOL lists the RRP as £99.99) then I imagine it will come down significantly when its listing has been finalised and the proper discounts are in place.

R

Anime on line have listed it with an RRP of 99.99, which I have taken for accurate but that was mostly because I was half asleep while posting last night :lol: happy to wait and see and hopefully see this proven wrong!

As mentioned if the rrp is accurate, yes it will be reduced but not low enough in my opinion. A starting figure of 80 reduced to 60/55 was what I was expecting not a starting figure of 100 down to 75.

I'm expecting the justification for the cost being £40 above collector edition rrp's to be the fact we have a unique artbook and also a dual format release, but 40 quid for an artbook and useless discs/tea coasters is a lot to ask.

I'd like to call folks to calm down a little bit for starters :). Let's get all the details straight here based on points raised first for TIR Ultimate:

1 - Pricing being "ridiculous": Firstly - no it isn't ridiculous. Ridiculous is pricing a standard amaray box with a single postcard inside it with 11 episodes for £99.99, ridiculous is making such a massive mark-up that we're all laughing to the bank at your expense. In fact like most companies who make a Collector's edition, we make a lower margin than standard product as so much goes back into making the best version possible.

Also, regardless of what the RRP was meant to be (am on a plane just now so can't easily check our product listing sheets here) - it's not actually so far out of line with existing Collector's Editions of the same. Akame Ga Kill has 12 episodes and is £10 different in SRP, with a "real" difference of £7.50 on places like Anime-On-Line of £67.49 for AKG and £74.99 for TIR Ultimate.

Neither Animatsu or Anime Ltd is trying to take the piss with this, it's just that there are costs whatever you do. If you import another company's items or packaging, there are import costs, freight costs etc on top of your contribution to manufacture or if you go it alone then it adds money too.

In our case - translating that material is not cheap and we're doing some cool things with the book on this to make it an item worth having in any Shinichiro Watanabe fan's collection.

2 - Why do it: Well for one, we were all very into the show in the office and there were booklets with every Japanese release crammed with information and artwork that deserved to be released in the west beyond just being sleeve notes. We did the maths on it and it'd have needed to easily be 200 pages of book at DVD sized which starts to edge into the length of a novel. Doing a larger book just made sense there for readability.

(EDIT TOO - the reason we did an Ultimate over a normal Collector's is it felt like this one should be an all or nothing sort of deal, leaving a part of the assets out would have been a waste so we took a gutsy move all in all and whether it is the version for you or not, it does deliver on content).

It means this edition will be the best possible edition you could own in the west I'm proud to say and that's why in this case an Ultimate was appropriate as we had the chance to deliver the complete show in the best possible way (the only way it'd be better is if the OST had been available too).

3 - Why are you out pricing people from a medium they love? We're not - we're pricing a product in line with what it costs to produce and doesn't set us up for a loss on the product.

As a side note, retailers don't usually list Q2 titles and of course when creating something like the above we have a standard BD planned too because when you breach a certain price you can't just say "It's this version or none".

We've actually held that policy throughout (Gurren Lagann has had a standard Blu-Ray edition, Giovanni's Island has a standard BD, Patema Inverted has a standard BD, FMP will have a standard BD too). As I'm on a plane, I can't check when that is off top of head but in this case I imagine you'll see it on the same sort of timeline as Gurren Lagann's Ultimate getting a standard edition for similar reasons when you boil it down.

It also remains available on DVD as a standard edition on Day 1 and on Netflix too for those wanting to dip their toes. So long as you're supporting the show legitimately, that helps the industry anyway :).

###

In the end you can like what we've pitched or dislike it but nobody is going to force you to by the Ultimate Edition and whole I believe it offers the best experience for understanding the series, we're not going to isolate the market for an 11 episode show either so you don't have to worry if you want a regular flavour of Blu-Ray :).

That said, there are real costs involved in producing any collector's edition of a show and no company can't force folks to buy it - but nobody can expect for us to devalue the work and cost that goes into Collector's Editions either :).

Hope this helps untwist panties as required!

Best,

AP

Will reply later when I have the chance to type up a response but accusing your customers of having twisted panties because they don't like the rrp....

britguy said:
Will reply later when I have the chance to type up a response but accusing your customers of having twisted panties because they don't like the rrp....

I'm not accusing anyone of having their panties in a twist because of that and am sorry if I gave that impression! Being half way to Tokyo and been awake for ages probably doesn't make me the most eloquent I've ever been - I'm suggesting that people are jumping to assumptions that there won't be a standard edition too of the BD :).

I just wanted to touch base on this now rather than later as I can see folks getting concerned and the TL;DR point was more - yes the Ultimate is expensive because we went all out on content, but because of that there will obviously be a standard BD sooner rather than later just like Gurren Lagann :). It won't show yet as Q2 standardly doesn't list yet, I had those two listed early specifically to get the discussion out there now though.

AP

anime_andrew said:
I'd like to call folks to calm down a little bit for starters :). Let's get all the details straight here based on points raised first for TIR Ultimate:

1 - Pricing being "ridiculous": Firstly - no it isn't ridiculous. Ridiculous is pricing a standard amaray box with a single postcard inside it with 11 episodes for £99.99, ridiculous is making such a massive mark-up that we're all laughing to the bank at your expense. In fact like most companies who make a Collector's edition, we make a lower margin than standard product as so much goes back into making the best version possible.

Also, regardless of what the RRP was meant to be (am on a plane just now so can't easily check our product listing sheets here) - it's not actually so far out of line with existing Collector's Editions of the same. Akame Ga Kill has 12 episodes and is £10 different in SRP, with a "real" difference of £7.50 on places like Anime-On-Line of £67.49 for AKG and £74.99 for TIR Ultimate.

Hi Andrew, it might not be a ridiculous RRP to you, but to an average consumer, even myself who has bought everything you have put out day 1, £99.99 does seem ridiculous, especially when you compare it to the RRP of your collectors editions which on average are £59.99 at most. It is then on Anime Limited to convince us that this is worth the extra £40 on RRP when the only difference is i)A larger outer packaging ii)amaray case iii)A4 artbook instead of an A5 booklet.

To many, the increase in price for the artbook, no matter how much work you guys may have put in to it, is not worth the price of asking. We had a whole other thread dedicated to Akagme Ga Kill where everyone and their mother basically admitted "yes this set is ridiculously overpriced for what it actually is" and still feel this way, so a case of "look how much AgK is compared to this" is not rgoiung to go down well :lol: Something like Fate Stay Night Limited Edition Part 1 is probably more comparable with an RRP of £79.99 and a sales price of £59.99 atm,

2 - Why do it: Well for one, we were all very into the show in the office and there were booklets with every Japanese release crammed with information and artwork that deserved to be released in the west beyond just being sleeve notes. We did the maths on it and it'd have needed to easily be 200 pages of book at DVD sized which starts to edge into the length of a novel. Doing a larger book just made sense there for readability.

(EDIT TOO - the reason we did an Ultimate over a normal Collector's is it felt like this one should be an all or nothing sort of deal, leaving a part of the assets out would have been a waste so we took a gutsy move all in all and whether it is the version for you or not, it does deliver on content).

So you could have done TiR artbook as a standard 200 page book but decided it would read better as an A4 book? You have precedent for doing a book around 200 pages before, with Space Dandy Season 1 which had a 195 page book and an RRP of £69.99. So why is this set £30 more than that?

3 - Why are you out pricing people from a medium they love? We're not - we're pricing a product in line with what it costs to produce and doesn't set us up for a loss on the product.

As a side note, retailers don't usually list Q2 titles and of course when creating something like the above we have a standard BD planned too because when you breach a certain price you can't just say "It's this version or none".

We've actually held that policy throughout (Gurren Lagann has had a standard Blu-Ray edition, Giovanni's Island has a standard BD, Patema Inverted has a standard BD, FMP will have a standard BD too). As I'm on a plane, I can't check when that is off top of head but in this case I imagine you'll see it on the same sort of timeline as Gurren Lagann's Ultimate getting a standard edition for similar reasons when you boil it down.

It also remains available on DVD as a standard edition on Day 1 and on Netflix too for those wanting to dip their toes. So long as you're supporting the show legitimately, that helps the industry anyway :).

###

In the end you can like what we've pitched or dislike it but nobody is going to force you to by the Ultimate Edition and whole I believe it offers the best experience for understanding the series, we're not going to isolate the market for an 11 episode show either so you don't have to worry if you want a regular flavour of Blu-Ray :).

Unfortunately though, every release seems to be getting pricier and pricier, not just from yourselves (Durarara being £69.99 RRP is a bit :eek: ) so there will be a point where people have to stop supporting shows like this day 1, and when people stop buying day 1 and waiting for HUGE markdowns, that's going to affect you guys in the long run and cost you a lot of money, I personally don't want to stop supporting your company day 1, I also don't want to stop supporting your collectors edition/Ultimate Edition lines, but I budget and eventually it will reach a point where i'll just have to stop. Standard Edition DVD releases don't even register on my radar (no offence) because the format is mostly dead to me, unless it's a release that is not nor likely will not be available on BD for a very long time.

TL;DR On first impression, this set does not seem to have an extra £40 worth of value on the consumer end versus the standard collectors editions you release.

NormanicGrav said:
Nothing else really.

I feel the whole Ultimate Edition treatment seems to have crumbled pretty badly now.

Gurren Lagann started out great but suffered from its digipack problems, damaged video quality (something that Anime Ltd couldn't fix) and was limited to the DVD extras from Aniplex US's release. The additional plus side was the movies and 14 of 15 Parallel Works were included in the bundle. For paying £81 at the time it was a good deal though.

Patema Inverted had the better treatment, and to me is the best Ultimate Edition set by far. £40 for backers to get a combo set, simpler digipack, OST thanks to fan support and a really excellent artbook that has literally everything. The downside was the lack of a title on the side of the box.

Giovanni's Island looks impressive but I felt it was inconsistent with the other two in terms of shelving so I ended up cancelling (the slipcover was different and there was no title on the spine box). The rest is about as good as Patema's from what I've seen.

Full Metal Panic! is probably a series that sounds good for the treatment but after seeing what it is in its final form I just can't justify going for it especially when they're basically the same as the Funimation discs. The artbook looks cool but everything else really is based on whether you are really up for paying a lot for the set. The same goes for Terror in Resonance, but if the OST was available then I would be fine with the price point.

I guess The Vision of Escaflowne can be done better given it's two versions of the same show so it's basically twice the disc content but honestly I don't know at this point. Overall, I feel Ultimate Editions would be better suited for movies from now on.

Sorry Andrew & Jeremy if I end making you upset, it's just how I feel at this point regarding the Ultimate Editions thus far. The Collector's Editions are spot on though.

Firstly - don't worry, I don't actually really usually take offence unless said opinion is in some way untrue and even then I'm more hurt it came across that way to someone than anything :).

Secondly the above is a perfectly legitimate point of view and one that highlights a point re ultimate editions - that they're very much often for a specific sub-set of people more than anything and sales reflect it. Touched on it before but we obviously do recognise this and at minimum offer a standard edition alongside and sometimes even another tier of Collector's edition. There may be a time-delay of a bit on the standard sometimes, but it does matter to us and something we're well aware of :).

The fact they're usually targeting a sub-set of fans though too each time, tends to mean that sales are usually supportive of them so we don't actually lose money making them happen :). Giovanni's Island is definitely the lowest performing but we did that one as it was important to tell the story behind it and the book really reflects that - the spine point is a fair one and if that's a deal-breaker then I wholly understand but cost-wise it was the one we had to sacrifice most on to get it out there at an accessible price for a film (ultimate or not). That actually makes films the hardest to do that kind of release with sadly :(.

Out of curiosity re Full Metal Panic - if the discs were the deal breaker, what would have changed your mind there? I've looked for some kind of damning evidence that the Japanese HD footage is better but have honestly struggled and if it isn't definitely better, what could we have done there to persuade you :)? Genuine curiosity as we only improve our offerings by understanding and as nobody has ever done what we're doing before in the UK (with only dabbling in the USA too), feedback is super important!

Good to hear re our usual Collector's Editions too :).

Best,

AP

britguy said:
Hi Andrew, it might not be a ridiculous RRP to you, but to an average consumer, even myself who has bought everything you have put out day 1, £99.99 does seem ridiculous, especially when you compare it to the RRP of your collectors editions which on average are £59.99 at most. It is then on Anime Limited to convince us that this is worth the extra £40 on RRP when the only difference is i)A larger outer packaging ii)amaray case iii)A4 artbook instead of an A5 booklet.

To many, the increase in price for the artbook, no matter how much work you guys may have put in to it, is not worth the price of asking. We had a whole other thread dedicated to Akagme Ga Kill where everyone and their mother basically admitted "yes this set is ridiculously overpriced for what it actually is" and still feel this way, so a case of "look how much AgK is compared to this" is not rgoiung to go down well :lol: Something like Fate Stay Night Limited Edition Part 1 is probably more comparable with an RRP of £79.99 and a sales price of £59.99 atm,[/quote[

You are totally right that it is down to us to sell you on it being more than the £59,99 average price we go for :).

As far as the book goes - if it were just an artbook I would probably re-consider doing an Ultimate but there is a hefty amount of interview content too so what we've created is actually more of a full book you could sell separately as a publisher would you believe there.

If you factor in that a standard Anime Ltd Collector's is £59.99 on average for 11-13 episodes and a full softback book with 128 pages sells for £26.99 SRP (Record of Agarest War 2: Heroines Visual Book as an example) then for a Collector's Edition + Hardback book with comparable detail and mix of contents then you're not far away from the cost overall. Add in cost to scale packaging up to fit both in and you're there :).

For the above reason, the difference is profound from a booklet in our Collector's editions where we have to use the assets we have or we have to make a choice and an Ultimate edition there too where we have an ocean of material and a permission to use it all.

Whether that puts it out of your bite point for price vs what you get there is another topic but that doesn't make it ridiculous vs the cost of creating it, just unrealistic to expect everyone to fork out on it. There's a very marked difference both as a consumer and as a producer to that too if that makes sense and it was never meant as a jab.

britguy said:
So you could have done TiR artbook as a standard 200 page book but decided it would read better as an A4 book? You have precedent for doing a book around 200 pages before, with Space Dandy Season 1 which had a 195 page book and an RRP of £69.99. So why is this set £30 more than that?

Absolutely valid question too and one with an equally valid answer that you'd not be expected to know which is twofold in the production:

1) Translation cost - There was next to no cost of translation for Space Dandy (the bit at the end I redeemed on credit for an old job we did) and the rest were using assets I felt wasted on the DVD/BDs only there and cost nothing to access. Terror in Resonance we had to translate assets and cover cost of access for smaller parts, which added up.

2) Economies of scale - For Space Dandy, we printed alongside France for both BD + DVD and used the same base packaging for both Collector's Editions creating a good economy of scale allowing the price to come down. For TiR there will be 1,000 copies produced only and then that's it - for Space Dandy we produced multiples of that number. Had we done only 1.000 you'd have found a similar or higher SRP which for the size of product and only half the show, would have been a no-go for us all. It has to contain the complete series for me to breach a certain line really regardless of that is 11 episodes or 150.

On a creative level, yes we could have done it as a 200 page standard one but with so much interview content, it would have felt unwieldy when mixed with the images too so on a creative level there was a choice to be made and we'd be hit either way :).

britguy said:
Unfortunately though, every release seems to be getting pricier and pricier, not just from yourselves (Durarara being £69.99 RRP is a bit :eek: ) so there will be a point where people have to stop supporting shows like this day 1, and when people stop buying day 1 and waiting for HUGE markdowns, that's going to affect you guys in the long run and cost you a lot of money, I personally don't want to stop supporting your company day 1, I also don't want to stop supporting your collectors edition/Ultimate Edition lines, but I budget and eventually it will reach a point where i'll just have to stop. Standard Edition DVD releases don't even register on my radar (no offence) because the format is mostly dead to me, unless it's a release that is not nor likely will not be available on BD for a very long time.

Durarara at £69.99 is markedly less than the USA cost for the first 12 episodes and was a huge fight to get by the by there so is a completely different kettle of fish. That said it's a combined issue pricing-wise, no longer does Amazon massively slash anime before release often or if they do, it happens for a very short time so that plays a part in perception.

With a standard Blu-Ray coming not very far after on Ultimate's and Collector's Editions remaining stationary at our £59.99 - £69.99 price point depending on licensor, there is at least consistency for our products now which is basically:

Ultimates: £99 - £149.99 (yet to find something that merits the £199.99 point though and wouldn't do that unless it fits).

Collector's (Blu-Ray): £59.99 - £69.99 on average depending on title
Standard BD: £34.99 for 12 eps, £49.99 for 24-26
Standard DVD: £24.99 for 12 eps, £39.99 for 24-26

We have stayed within those lines basically throughout and unless something prompts a need to change up or down (ideally down if we get costs down) then you can at least work within those guidelines :). May I add, we do so at expense of our own margin at times so if we do something cool (like in Illiya we did Tarot cards too) then we absorb that cost and don't go up outside of our standard price points either.

britguy said:
TL;DR On first impression, this set does not seem to have an extra £40 worth of value versus the standard collectors editions you release.

That's a fair point of view too and time will tell with the product if that matches and in a way seeing it is really important there. If it doesn't match up with the price point for you, we are leaving open a backup option even if not the usual choice for you of a standard BD not long after and do care about folks opinions so will keep thoughts in mind for future releases too :).

As ever, opinions are definitely important and it shows folks care about what we do so thanks ^^.

Andrew

britguy said:

To many, the increase in price for the artbook, no matter how much work you guys may have put in to it, is not worth the price of asking. We had a whole other thread dedicated to Akagme Ga Kill where everyone and their mother basically admitted "yes this set is ridiculously overpriced for what it actually is" and still feel this way, so a case of "look how much AgK is compared to this" is not rgoiung to go down well :lol: Something like Fate Stay Night Limited Edition Part 1 is probably more comparable with an RRP of £79.99 and a sales price of £59.99 atm,

You are totally right that it is down to us to sell you on it being more than the £59,99 average price we go for :).

As far as the book goes - if it were just an artbook I would probably re-consider doing an Ultimate but there is a hefty amount of interview content too so what we've created is actually more of a full book you could sell separately as a publisher would you believe there.

If you factor in that a standard Anime Ltd Collector's is £59.99 on average for 11-13 episodes and a full softback book with 128 pages sells for £26.99 SRP (Record of Agarest War 2: Heroines Visual Book as an example) then for a Collector's Edition + Hardback book with comparable detail and mix of contents then you're not far away from the cost overall. Add in cost to scale packaging up to fit both in and you're there :).

For the above reason, the difference is profound from a booklet in our Collector's editions where we have to use the assets we have or we have to make a choice and an Ultimate edition there too where we have an ocean of material and a permission to use it all.

Whether that puts it out of your bite point for price vs what you get there is another topic but that doesn't make it ridiculous vs the cost of creating it, just unrealistic to expect everyone to fork out on it. There's a very marked difference both as a consumer and as a producer to that too if that makes sense and it was never meant as a jab.

britguy said:

Absolutely valid question too and one with an equally valid answer that you'd not be expected to know which is twofold in the production:

1) Translation cost - There was next to no cost of translation for Space Dandy (the bit at the end I redeemed on credit for an old job we did) and the rest were using assets I felt wasted on the DVD/BDs only there and cost nothing to access. Terror in Resonance we had to translate assets and cover cost of access for smaller parts, which added up.

2) Economies of scale - For Space Dandy, we printed alongside France for both BD + DVD and used the same base packaging for both Collector's Editions creating a good economy of scale allowing the price to come down. For TiR there will be 1,000 copies produced only and then that's it - for Space Dandy we produced multiples of that number. Had we done only 1.000 you'd have found a similar or higher SRP which for the size of product and only half the show, would have been a no-go for us all. It has to contain the complete series for me to breach a certain line really regardless of that is 11 episodes or 150.

On a creative level, yes we could have done it as a 200 page standard one but with so much interview content, it would have felt unwieldy when mixed with the images too so on a creative level there was a choice to be made and we'd be hit either way :).

britguy said:

Durarara at £69.99 is markedly less than the USA cost for the first 12 episodes and was a huge fight to get by the by there so is a completely different kettle of fish. That said it's a combined issue pricing-wise, no longer does Amazon massively slash anime before release often or if they do, it happens for a very short time so that plays a part in perception.

With a standard Blu-Ray coming not very far after on Ultimate's and Collector's Editions remaining stationary at our £59.99 - £69.99 price point depending on licensor, there is at least consistency for our products now which is basically:

Ultimates: £99 - £149.99 (yet to find something that merits the £199.99 point though and wouldn't do that unless it fits).

Collector's (Blu-Ray): £59.99 - £69.99 on average depending on title
Standard BD: £34.99 for 12 eps, £49.99 for 24-26
Standard DVD: £24.99 for 12 eps, £39.99 for 24-26

We have stayed within those lines basically throughout and unless something prompts a need to change up or down (ideally down if we get costs down) then you can at least work within those guidelines :). May I add, we do so at expense of our own margin at times so if we do something cool (like in Illiya we did Tarot cards too) then we absorb that cost and don't go up outside of our standard price points either.

britguy said:
TL;DR On first impression, this set does not seem to have an extra £40 worth of value versus the standard collectors editions you release.

That's a fair point of view too and time will tell with the product if that matches and in a way seeing it is really important there. If it doesn't match up with the price point for you, we are leaving open a backup option even if not the usual choice for you of a standard BD not long after and do care about folks opinions so will keep thoughts in mind for future releases too :).

As ever, opinions are definitely important and it shows folks care about what we do so thanks ^^.

Andrew
EDIT: Can't format to save myself today / tonight!

So the only reason TiR an 11 ep show got a UE is because of the book hmm. I would still think one for Gundam would have been better as you have 50 eps and 3 films and people would easily pay more for an higher episode count. I expect sunrise was the reason than no UE exists as they won't give you the films on BD as there not dubbed.

I think this is where the AL staff's passion for anime shows it's downside.
As Andrew has said, they wanted to make the best release they could because they enjoyed the series but from a business perspective; will an ultimate edition that is being called too expensive, be profitable in a market (anime) that's pretty tough to survive in?

Art wise the series never ventures into anything unusual, it's just set in Japan with normal people so I don't think the series had enough personality for an art book to be that desirable. That's my personal opinion though and I didn't enjoy the series enough to pick it up at any price so feel free to disregard.

Wait so it's being released on Monday and the Collectors box is already OOP, dang that's fast. Hopefully it's still in stock somewhere after christmas as i won't be buying it till then.

DragonBlaze67 said:
Wait so it's being released on Monday and the Collectors box is already OOP, dang that's fast. Hopefully it's still in stock somewhere after christmas as i won't be buying it till then.
Same and it shows the support for Gundam on BD *cough Turn A cough*

Back