UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Iluvatar said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terror-Resonance-Ultimate-Format-Blu-ray/dp/B018ICVC8U/

91£ for 11 episodes? Oo
Is this real?
like seriously?

The ultimate for FMP was around 110-130£ but it's 50 episodes...
Ok, this edition include a 100 pages artbook but damn, that price is insane.

Christ on a bike that's expensive

Iluvatar said:

91£ for 11 episodes? Oo
Is this real?
like seriously?

Ok, this edition include a 100 pages artbook but damn.

Tbh, they sort of over egged the RRP for the MVM release of Fate Stay Night Part 1 collectors edition (by about £13- listed initially around £93, MVM confirmed RRP was £80) so i'm going to wait until AL confirm the RRP before getting worried. My expectation is £80 rrp with amazon selling for £55-£60

Looking at the RRP for a lot of their 2016 line up though, the "basic" Collectors Editions are regularly seeing RRP of £60 with Durarara being £70 (RRP). £80 (RRP) for this Ultimate Edition seems right in comparison.

That is insane. That is going to sell very poorly unless that price gets a serious deduction. Giving TIR an ultimate edition always seemed like an odd choice to me. It's not some really well known, fan favourite show like Gurren Lagann nor is it a multi season, franchise in a box bundle like Full Metal Panic. Even with Amazon's usual discounts, when it's at about £70-£80, it is probably going to crash and hard. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on a Zavvi Mega Monday for <£20 ~6 months after release.

@ILemon, as mentioned, i'm pretty certain this is an Amazon best guess price like that did with F/SN. If this costs anything more than £55 with amazon discounts then i'll eat my hat (after I buy one)

Even 80£ is damn hight for a 11 episodes show. (UBW is out of context, due to AoA behind)
Not like i can't afford that price but if it ended like the FMP quality, (amaray case/etc.) well, i will go for the french branch edition (35£).

Iluvatar said:
Even 80£ is damn hight for a 11 episodes show.
Not like i can't afford that price but if it ended like the FMP quality, (amaray case/etc.) well, i will go for the french branch edition (35£).

Yeah, the pricing just keeps going up in general nowadays. I assume you speak French or Japanese (with regards to the latter?)

It's very likely just one of those weird placeholder prices.

For example the Miss Hokusai Collector's Edition went up on Amazon for £59.99, it's now down to £44.99 less than a week later, and it'll probably dip further below that.

Yeah, the pricing just keeps going up in general nowadays. I assume you speak French or Japanese (with regards to the latter?)
French, i tend to always see what the UK branch of @Anime is doing before buying any french releases from (All The Anime France) but in this case, damn the price is a huge stop, even if the UE have a 100 pages artbook.

NoSurprises said:
It's very likely just one of those weird placeholder prices.

For example the Miss Hokusai Collector's Edition went up on Amazon for £59.99, it's now down to £44.99 less than a week later, and it'll probably dip further below that.

I actually think the £59.99 is the correct RRP for this film, especially as the French branch are doing an edition in a wooden box with a 60 page artbook, I think that RRP may be reflecting that.

Typically AL movies sell for around £25 on amazon.

britguy said:
Yeah, the pricing just keeps going up in general nowadays. […]

If it sells, they'll try for higher. It's up to the consumer to get upset and, like… boycott a release when they feel like it's starting to go nuts.

I'll see what the price is like a bit closer to release date but as it stands, I shall be importing the US release from Funimation - less 'extras' but is roughly £41 less than AL's release. I liked the series but not that much, Also, I dislike AL's oversized boxes for the Ultimate Editions, I see no point of them other than for the booklets which really don't need to be that size

Iluvatar said:

91£ for 11 episodes? Oo
Is this real?
like seriously?

Ok, this edition include a 100 pages artbook but damn.

As others have mentioned, please take Amazon's pricing with a pinch of salt. They tend to stick to the RRP, or in some cases go above it.
MVM/Anime On-Line have it up at £74.99 at the moment, but obviously it will drop lower on Zavvi/Amazon over the next few months

http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/prod ... 476&page=1

****. If AoL are listing it with a £99.99rrp then that's pretty much confirmed and you're looking at around £70 on Amazon in the long run, with their preorders usually chopping 30% off the rrp, if that.

Absolutely ridiculous pricing for an 11 episode show. I've usually been a strong supporter of AL releases and operating, but even I've got a limit!

As prices get higher and higher I do feel like I'm just wasting my money on this hobby and find it harder to justify. Sad times.

britguy said:
****. If AoL are listing it with a £99.99rrp then that's pretty much confirmed and you're looking at around £70 on Amazon in the long run, with their preorders usually chopping 30% off the rrp, if that.

Absolutely ridiculous pricing for an 11 episode show. I've usually been a strong supporter of AL releases and operating, but even I've got a limit!

As prices get higher and higher I do feel like I'm just wasting my money on this hobby and find it harder to justify. Sad times.

I always compare to JP and think we are still getting it very cheap

Definiately. Also these super collectors editions are for people who love the show. I have would no qualms paying £100 or more for my fav shows on blu ray (cough-katanagatari, mushishi, tatami galaxy, sayonara zetsubou sensei-cough).

thedoctor2016 said:
I always compare to JP and think we are still getting it very cheap

Yes but we all know it's not just a straight up comparison like that. I compare it to other AL releases and other products from other companies and this TiR set is not "cheap".

My favorite is when I compare it to my monthly gaming and anime budget (200 quid) and realise one rrp is half of that. ..

Blood Lad has an RRP of £50 and that only had 11 episodes, including the OVA, and a booklet rather than an 100 page artbook.

And if I remember correctly, didn't Zavvi drop the price to £20 or so recently? So, I don't think anyone should get too worked up about the price just yet.

:?
GolGotha said:
Blood Lad has an RRP of £50 and that only had 11 episodes, including the OVA, and a booklet rather than an 100 page artbook.

And if I remember correctly, didn't Zavvi drop the price to £20 or so recently? So, I don't think anyone should get too worked up about the price just yet.

I dont quite get your opening point? We have two shows with more or less same episode length, blood lad had a hefty book with it, biggest* and best imo for their collectors edition, and yet has a 50 quid discrepancy in price. A larger and longer book increases the price 100% in this instance.

*Edit - I forgot how big the space dandy books are!

Back