UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Buzz201 said:
The video bit rate limit thing is because the chips in some old players can't handle bitrates that exceed a certain amount. Most new players would do perfectly fine with the content, but most masterers choose to cap bitrates off just in case. I mean how depressing would it be a disc was "too good" for your player...

The video bitrate limit is because that's what the actually disc specifications are.

Emulsion said:
Buzz201 said:
The video bit rate limit thing is because the chips in some old players can't handle bitrates that exceed a certain amount. Most new players would do perfectly fine with the content, but most masterers choose to cap bitrates off just in case. I mean how depressing would it be a disc was "too good" for your player...

The video bitrate limit is because that's what the actually disc specifications are.

I believe the spec is evolutionary, so the flaw was probably the reason why that was added to the spec.

Q4 set details for their latest titles:

009 Re:Cyborg - Film: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD]
Contains the film in 3D, 2D with a whole disc of bonus content adding up to over 90 minutes of bonus features, collector's packaging and a replica of the Japanese bonus booklet!

Extras:
Teasers
Trailers
Promo videos and commercials
Special Prologue
Behind the Scenes
A Letter to Momo - Film: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD]
Contains the film in both Japanese with English subtitles and English language dub

Extras:
The Making of A Letter to Momo,
Foreign Trailers and TV Spots,
U.S. Trailer.
Collector s packaging and a booklet
Baccano! - Complete Series: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains all 16 episodes over 3 Blu-Rays, English dub & Japanese with subs in collector's packaging.

Extras:
Collector's packaging
Clean opening and closing
Trailers
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad - Complete Series [DVD]
Contains episodes 1-26 in both Japanese with English subtitles and with English dub.

Extras:
Textless songs
Trailers
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya - Season 1: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains Episodes 1-10 and the bonus OVA with both an English dub and Japanese original with subtitles on Blu-Ray in Collector s Packaging with a booklet.

Extras:
Clean Opening
Clean Closing
Bonus OVA episode
Full Metal Panic! - Seasons 1-3: Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains all seasons including the never before released in the UK third season The Second Raid. With Japanese with English subtitles and English dub.

Extras:
Season 1:
Jakoichi Chigira x Shouji Gatou Special Interview
Textless Songs
Original TV Spots
U.S. Trailers
Japanese Piracy Warnings
Trailers

The Second Raid:
Location Scouting in Hong Kong (parts 1-7)
Textless Songs
Trailers
The Second Raid Episode 000 and OVA "Tessa's Eventful Day.

Ultimate Edition:
Collector's packaging and a full sized art-book (30 x 30)
Fuse: Memoirs of a Huntress - Film: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD]
Includes collector's packaging and artbook along with the film itself in Japanese with English subtitles.

Extras:
Original Japanese theatrical commercials
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Complete Series: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains episodes 1-24 in Japanese with English subtitles and English language dub.

Extras:
Comes in steel book-style packaging
Contains a 16 page art booklet
Gundam Reconguista in G - Part 1: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains Episode 1-13 in Japanese with English subtitles only.

Extras:
Collector s Packaging
Booklet
Mobile Suit Gundam - Part 1: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains the first half of the iconic series (Episodes 1-21) in both English dub and Japanese with English subtitles.
Mobile Suit Gundam - Part 2: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains the conclusion to the iconic series (Episodes 22-41) in both English dub and Japanese with English subtitles.
Ping Pong the Animation - Complete Series: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains the complete series in English and Japanese with English subtitles on Blu-Ray and DVD in collector's packaging.

Extras:
Collector's packaging
Clean opening
Clean Ending
Web Previews / teasers
Audio Commentary from US voice cast (Episode 1 and Episode 11)
Psychic School Wars - Film: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD]
Contains the film with both an English dub and Japanese original with subtitles on both Blu-Ray and DVD in collector's packaging.
Samurai Flamenco - Part 1: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains Episodes 1-11 in collector's packaging with Japanese language and English subtitles.
Sword Art Online II - Part 2: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD]
Contains episodes 8-14 in both Japanese with subs and English dub.

Extras:
Collector's packaging
Booklet
Special Animation "Sword Art Offline II"
Episode 14.5
Textless Ending
Original Web Previews
Sword Art Online II - Part 3: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD]
Contains episodes 15-19 in both Japanese with subs and English dub.

Extras:
Collector's packaging
Booklet
Art cards
Special Animation "Sword Art Offline II"
Textless Ending
Original Web Previews
Tokyo Ghoul - Season 1: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Contains Episodes 1-12 with both an English dub and Japanese original with subtitles on Blu-Ray in collector's packaging and a hardback booklet.

Extras:
Episode 4 Commentary (English 2.0, Austin Tindle, Brina Palencia, J. Michael Tatum, Mike McFarland)
Episode 12 Commentary (English 2.0, Austin Tindle, Monica Rial, Christopher R. Sabat, Mike McFarland)
Kaneki in Black and White
Japanese Commercials
Promotional Videos
Preview Collection
Textless Opening & Closing Songs
U.S. Trailer

Are those all supposed to be arriving in Q4? Call me cynical but I am somewhat doubtful. But then I'm only interested in Gankutsuou and maybe Ping Pong so as long as they make it I'm good.

Buzz201 said:
Ping Pong and Tokyo Ghoul are probably just ports of the US release, so that probably sped things up a lot.
I do have to wonder if that's the case for Baccano too considering last we heard I'm sure it was only going to be two discs. The disc count now matches that of AoA's release, but outside of Blue Exorcist (and Durarara!! A/V wise at least), AoA releases outside the US never seem to use the same masters.

Mangaranga said:
Buzz201 said:
Ping Pong and Tokyo Ghoul are probably just ports of the US release, so that probably sped things up a lot.
I do have to wonder if that's the case for Baccano too considering last we heard I'm sure it was only going to be two discs. The disc count now matches that of AoA's release, but outside of Blue Exorcist (and Durarara!! A/V wise at least), AoA releases outside the US never seem to use the same masters.

I doubt AoA would give their masters out, they keep the on-disc bonus features to themselves. I think that's partly why AL have got so proficient at artbooks, because apparently they aren't protective of physical art, and they aren't selfish with their OVAs either.

And I believe Durarara!!'s Standard Edition was an entirely new master, created by Justin Sevakis, specifically for Anime Limited. (I think he mentioned he was doing it on one of the ANNCasts a while back.)

Buzz201 said:
And I believe Durarara!!'s Standard Edition was an entirely new master, created by Justin Sevakis, specifically for Anime Limited. (I think he mentioned he was doing it on one of the ANNCasts a while back.)
Justin changed the menus, fixed the subtitles and added a signs/songs track. It still uses the same A/V assets which match Aniplex USA/JP's release, technically making it the best release for English speaking territories (yellow subs aside).

Mangaranga said:
Justin changed the menus, fixed the subtitles and added a signs/songs track. It still uses the same A/V assets which match Aniplex USA/JP's release, technically making it the best release for English speaking territories (yellow subs aside).

Based on Jerome Mazandarani's twitter rant the other week, there are apparently people who prefer yellow subtitles. Although, I'd personally be inclined to think they're all nutcases...

Sword Art Online II - Part 3: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD]
Contains episodes 15-19 in both Japanese with subs and English dub.

Only 5 episodes? Wow.... I forgot just how stingy they are with SAO. The first BD releases had only 5 episodes on disks 3 & 4 too and I felt a bit sore about being them even though I only paid £15 for each.

Series 2 parts are coming out in pricey months too so I might just cancel all these and see if they get a serious discount in the future or just forget about seeing the series, even though I really enjoyed the first. It's a shame because I don't mind paying a bit extra for them but I'd feel so foolish when I added up how much I spent on the set.

When you're pricing fans out of the market you know it's too much. (I know this isn't Anime limited's doing.)

Buzz201 said:
Based on Jerome Mazandarani's twitter rant the other week, there are apparently people who prefer yellow subtitles. Although, I'd personally be inclined to think they're all nutcases...
The reason for yellow subs is for people with visual impairments, isn't it? I mean I prefer white too, but I'm not going to bitch about it because it would feel a bit like complaining about wheelchair ramps spoiling buildings.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Are those all supposed to be arriving in Q4? Call me cynical but I am somewhat doubtful.
That is a lotta releases in a short period of time. I believe in AL but they don't want to ADV themselves - I can pick up two, maybe three of those releases but that'll be my wallet empty.

ayase said:
Buzz201 said:
The reason for yellow subs is for people with visual impairments, isn't it? I mean I prefer white too, but I'm not going to bitch about it because it would feel a bit like complaining about wheelchair ramps spoiling buildings.

The BBC's editorial guidelines for programme production state that colours that contrast well should be used, with green, yellow or white being best for foregrounds.

Everything I've seen on a quick google suggests white on black is just as good (if not better) than any other colour combination. So I don't think it's specifically to help visually impaired people, otherwise surely the major studios' Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (SDH) would be yellow, but they aren't, they're white with a black shadow or in Sony's case white on a black background.

I'm certain I've been told there's a reason yellow's better than white, but I can't remember it and don't pretend to be an expert. Computer keyboards for visually impaired people almost all have yellow keys, that's why I remember.

ayase said:
Buzz201 said:
Whether it's because they have visual impairments or just need new specs I know not, but there are people who claim that white subtitles are difficult to read. Yellow certainly stands out more, but as far as I'm concerned that's not a good thing. I was watching One Week Friends recently and I hated how the bold yellow clashed with the show's soft pastel colour palette. It was a near-constant eyesore. Building ramps are positively decorative in comparison.

I wonder why Justin Sevakis used yellow for Durarara when he uses white for NISA. At least they're small.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I wonder why Justin Sevakis used yellow for Durarara when he uses white for NISA. At least they're small.

I'm guessing to try and save time and money, AL and Justin tried to reuse as much of the previous release as possible. AL didn't produce the first master, Siren Visual did, so that had the garish yellow subs too.

Buzz201 said:
Mangaranga said:

I prefer yellow subs with a black outline myself. I find them easier on the eye.

Another reason is during secondary school I had to watch Cinema Paradiso on an old crappy VHS deck with white subs and no outline, the subs were impossible to read in any of the brighter scenes due to the low contrast.

I have to wonder if it would take much effort to let the viewer choose which colour they'd like. But my choice would always always always be white with black borders.

I prefer white, but then I mostly think the problem with subtitles is a too thin border. That's what makes them hard to read, not the colour.

Nice confirmation of all the Q4 stuff. Shame ping pong, flamenco, baccano and gundam releases only seem to be collectors packaging and no booklet/art cards. Potentially the first collectors editions from AL to come with nothing extra.

Back