UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Maquia received. Glad to have the poster but minor annoyance- I believe it was billed as A3 but isn't. Height wise it's ok but width wise it has an extra 2 inches (13.5 to A3's 11.5). Had to measure and carefully fold an inch off each side to fit it in a frame. Thankfully don't think it looks awkwardly cropped.
O6qrkPj.jpg

How utterly pointless. I sometimes get the impression from replies like Nozomi’s above that the relationship between Japanese companies and foreign licence holders is not unlike the relationship between Kim Jong Un and his subordinates.

“Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense but just do as they say. And for God’s sake don’t ask any questions.”
Well for AL and Nozomi they distribute for Sunrise they haven’t licensed them from Sunrise. Sunrise is the licensor.

i'm watching the tv version of Origin at the minute, are any of these newly announced releases worth getting for after the series finishes or are they too far ahead of it?

The movie trilogy set takes place right after origin if that is what you meant.

So what does the windowbox on CCA actually look like? These comments are getting me worried now.

Sunrise have a history of "The foreign release must not threaten our domestic ones". They've gotten better about it but it's still widely believed this is what's at play. If foreign releases trump Japanese ones at a lower price, Japanese fans would just import those.

It doesn't help that Sunrise's reputation for Gundam overseas has history for being equal parts petty, stupid and sometimes malevolent...

Really nice to see some gundam news, the boxes look amazing and I'm happy to see the movie trilogy been rereleased. I foolishly ignored it before thinking there would be no point in watching it since I'd already seen the TV series. I hope we see the Endless Waltz box soon to see how it matches the TV series, and it's relieving to hear it has the movie and ova versions.

One minor quibble though,
"One more additional note for you: don’t worry, we’ve not forgotten about Gundam 00"

Poor forgotten Turn A...

Last edited:
Well for AL and Nozomi they distribute for Sunrise they haven’t licensed them from Sunrise. Sunrise is the licensor.
Isn't that what people talk about when they say "license", the license to distribute in a certain area? Hence that's why we call local companies "distributors"? Or have I been under some false assumption all these years?

Any plans for some Gundam theatrical screenings? That would be the icing on the cake!

Have to agree with the concerns re: CCA. Windowboxing makes for an awful viewing experience, and would be made all the worse with the knowledge that there's a better, newer master out there (see some comparisons here). Tomino was heavily involved with restoring the audio too - I wonder if he'd be happy knowing that the older master was still being distributed?

Have to agree with the concerns re: CCA. Windowboxing makes for an awful viewing experience, and would be made all the worse with the knowledge that there's a better, newer master out there (see some comparisons here).
Oh man. That's a pretty huge difference between the old and new masters. The detail and the colours look considerably better on the newer version. But this means... the original Japanese release was window-boxed as well? So this is nothing to do with sabotaging other markets, it's some other "intentional" reason we will probably never know the answer to. Sunrise, what?

Oh man. That's a pretty huge difference between the old and new masters. The detail and the colours look considerably better on the newer version. But this means... the original Japanese release was window-boxed as well? So this is nothing to do with sabotaging other markets, it's some other "intentional" reason we will probably never know the answer to. Sunrise, what?
The 2011 Japanese re-issue isn't windowboxed.

So for my clarification the complete Gundam Wing collection later in the year will be the deluxe edition? which i assume would have extra stuff compared to the part 1/2 + box/artbook

Back