UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

You know what I'd like to know? What shows that they announced they won't be releasing anymore... Seems kinda silly to me that they haven't let people know tbh. I mean maybe I missed the list, and if so could someone point me to it as I'd like to know if Kiznaiver is actually coming (I assume not at this point).
They talked about that in the Christmas podcast.

They talked about that in the Christmas podcast.
Just skimmed through and found it, didn't exactly answer my question but hopefully they have a solid list to give us in the near future (for anyone wondering, they don't know themselves and don't wanna say somethings canceled if it ends up not being the case).

Just skimmed through and found it, didn't exactly answer my question but hopefully they have a solid list to give us in the near future (for anyone wondering, they don't know themselves and don't wanna say somethings canceled if it ends up not being the case).

You guys know me, I'd give you the details if we did as there's no point not you know? It's kind of a weird situation that's unfortunate for everyone involved but also nobody's fault in particular. As there's just a chunk of titles in limbo for lack of a better description I don't see it as good to issue a list based on speculation.

Either way - we'll keep people updated anyway and sorry for anyone who's particularly frustrated by it - totally can understand that but know we're not exactly dancing for joy either!

AP

I've wondered this for a while but perhaps I can actually get the answer simply by asking you or another AL rep Andrew - Is there a reason your dual language English/French releases are not publicised as such, not even just on the boxes? (I'd totally have bought the Gundam Movies box, which I missed out on the limited UK stock of, off the shelf in France last year if it had said it contained English subs on the back of the box) I mean, ultimately a sale for @Anime is a sale for Anime Limited, right? And you must have permission from the licensor to release multi-language discs in this way (I'm guessing the reason you don't do so with most of them is because you're not allowed in those cases). I just wonder why in the instances where it does happen, it almost seems hidden from buyers of such releases in both countries.

It's a really banal reason at the end of the day which is that on a retailer level - we get a tonne of flack when we run promotions with retailers (either our own shop or with Zavvi, HMV, Amazon UK or vice versa in France) and the other territory loses sales because of it. Ditto when currency rates fluctuate greatly etc.

Obviously we prefer to replicate dual language (although I disclaim that very often it's a roulette wheel now if we will depending on a tonne of factors so it's not as common as it once was) and a sale is a sale - but try telling that to a store based in France that Anime Ltd wins even if the sale happens in the UK, it's not pretty...

At the end of the day, the amount of times this works out counter to the UK buyers interests is countable pretty much on a single hand (and often it's a double-edged sword - aka for Hirune Hime you'll get the English version but none of the cool extras we're bringing over from our friends at GKIDs in the USA). So usually if there is a delay between territories on a shared project, there's a good reason for it :).

It's a really banal reason at the end of the day which is that on a retailer level - we get a tonne of flack when we run promotions with retailers (either our own shop or with Zavvi, HMV, Amazon UK or vice versa in France) and the other territory loses sales because of it. Ditto when currency rates fluctuate greatly etc.

Obviously we prefer to replicate dual language (although I disclaim that very often it's a roulette wheel now if we will depending on a tonne of factors so it's not as common as it once was) and a sale is a sale - but try telling that to a store based in France that Anime Ltd wins even if the sale happens in the UK, it's not pretty...
I'm surprised retailers would have the gall to complain to you for running promotions on your own products - Surely that's just a risk of the business they're in? I mean I worked for a company that sold both wholesale to retailers and direct retail via the web for several years and I can only recall a wholesale customer complaining about our retail prices undercutting them once (and even then that was from a very difficult to please customer). I wouldn't have guessed that was the reason at all (and I'm glad I don't man the customer service phones at AL) but thanks for the explanation Andrew, it's still a little disappointing when disc audio/subtitle options aren't listed on packaging but I have a better understanding of why now.

I'm surprised retailers would have the gall to complain to you for running promotions on your own products - Surely that's just a risk of the business they're in? I mean I worked for a company that sold both wholesale to retailers and direct retail via the web for several years and I can only recall a wholesale customer complaining about our retail prices undercutting them once (and even then that was from a very difficult to please customer). I wouldn't have guessed that was the reason at all (and I'm glad I don't man the customer service phones at AL) but thanks for the explanation Andrew, it's still a little disappointing when disc audio/subtitle options aren't listed on packaging but I have a better understanding of why now.

I think the issue is always muddied more when we run our own store as well that we want to be competitive and a good go-to for fans as well as main retailers (who we love as well). Keep in mind on top of retailers the huge difference is while Anime Ltd collect the cash either way, FR and UK are distributed separately so someone doesn't get their cut if it goes through the other territory (and we love both our distributors by the by) so that always plays in strongly too.

Ultimately this is the trade off for being able to do sales like the 12 Days of Christmas, early birds and promotional sales with retailers like HMV, Zavvi and Rakuten etc though so I totally get any disappointment but overall it does pay off in fans favour in the UK.

Best,

AP

I have to wonder if these retailers would whinge at the big American companies for offering stuff cheaper elsewhere, I mean that's how a competitive market works. Once stock is in their hands is it up to them when to put it on sale and for how much or do all discounts etc have to be arranged with the licensor?

What are the chances of Al releasing stuff like suzuka on blu ray? They work closely with funi. I know mvm release old title to put on blu ray like fruits basket etc

What are the chances of Al releasing stuff like suzuka on blu ray? They work closely with funi. I know mvm release old title to put on blu ray like fruits basket etc

Suzuka I can see no chance of getting a blu-ray release in the UK due to the fact It doesn't have a blu-ray anywhere in the world.

MVM is releasing fruit basket because FUNi is releasing the show on BD with its new master. Old shows get new releases if they have a new master worth releasing to fans of the show otherwise there is no point.

Suzuka I can see no chance of getting a blu-ray release in the UK due to the fact It doesn't have a blu-ray anywhere in the world.

MVM is releasing fruit basket because FUNi is releasing the show on BD with its new master. Old shows get new releases if they have a new master worth releasing to fans of the show otherwise there is no point.
Thanks for clearing that didn't know funi had a new master. Thought they were just banging it on blu ray

You know what I'd like to know? What shows that they announced they won't be releasing anymore... Seems kinda silly to me that they haven't let people know tbh. I mean maybe I missed the list, and if so could someone point me to it as I'd like to know if Kiznaiver is actually coming (I assume not at this point).

Another bad news about kiznaiver is : if AL cannot release-it here, then the serie will never be available for UK video players, since for the first time, the US release by Aniplex/Crunchyroll is not region free, it's region A/1, probably because of Crunchyroll since every others releases by AoA are region free.

Back