UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

My collection is/will be a mix of AL's and Kaze's (French) releases. It bothers me a tiiiiiny little bit that it's not all just by AL, but really, I'm just happy to be able to own all of Shinkai's movies. (and to be fair, Kaze's Agartha and Garden of Words releases are lovely)

Definitely wouldn't mind an AL release of 5cm, though wink wink

I remember there being an issue when it came to the Blu-Ray, something about not being allowed to/able to release the title on said format ..leaning towards allowed. I think it was Jerome from Manga who said it? Was quite a while ago.

I seem to remember some scuttlebutt about ridiculous holdbacks on a BD release of 5cm/s due to the existence of the Japanese Global Edition blu-ray (which has a bunch of language options- English audio and 11 different subtitle languages!). Discotek put out a BD fairly recently though, so I can't imagine there being much stopping Manga (assuming they still have it) putting one out.

Last edited:
I see. It's still weird that Kaze were able to release the blu ray in France, but I admit to not being very knowledgeable as far as licensing is concerned.

I'll probably end up getting that release and doing a Shinkai marathon of sorts before getting Your Name.

Base and AOL have listed 'A Silent Voice' for the 23th October wheras the AL's release schedule and Amazon say the 30th. Do we have confirmation which is true?

Gonna assume that the 30th is the correct one since I got an email from Amazon only yesterday saying that it had been delayed by the distributor to the 30th.

The reply I got from Zavvi:

"Thank you for getting in touch about your order of Your Name - Deluxe Edition.

I am sorry that you have received an item damaged in the past.

Please be assured that we always aim to pack items as securely as possible, and have made many adjustments over the last few years, to make sure that orders arrive our customers in prisitne condition.

Should any issues with your order arrive, please let us know.

If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help."

I'm somehow not feeling it. Should I pry further?

New update
"Unfortunately I am unable to advise which specific packaging will be used for an item. This will be decided in the warehouse, by the relevant team, before the item is shipped.

The packagind will be chosen in regards to size, weight and how fragile the item is. We try to ensure that every item has the best individual packaging possible. This is why I would not be able to say exactly which packaging it would be in this case.

I apologise for the inconvenience."

Oh well, let's see how much it will cost on the AL-Webshop...

Last edited:
I hope so. £50 is too much for a film CE. £35 would be best deal imo.
My mentality is the opposite. For me CE/LE/SE are worth more for movies to me than a series, because the way I see it I am more likely to get money worth out of film than a series like in the time it takes me to watch a cour I can watch a film in this case YN 3-4 times over. This extends to non-anime films too I am always looking to buy a special releases not the regular BDs for example I ended up paying ~£30 to import a Batman v Superman digibook from U.S.

Afraid this won't be discounted beyond the £49.99. It's pretty gauche when you have a partner for the product undercutting it - so I'm afraid we're being respectful in this case as the SKU isn't for the AL store only there :). To be clear it will match the Zavvi pricing.

We've also put out there a great Steelbook version with all the disc extras you get in the Deluxe and you can get that for £24.99 across retail too if pricing is the issue or the standards too. So we can't be accused of forcing two extreme choices really here xD.

Re price - keep in mind that book took a LOT of stress and time to clear and do (there's a reason the Funi one is 60 pages!) After checking the white sample I can attest that 132 pages including cover is a real book over a booklet too.

Hope this makes sense and while we strive to do Early Bird's on most product, sometimes we have to play fair too when it's only available from one other place :). It's a complicated tight rope and I'd love to explain it to folks someday but it's a chat best done in lecture or panel format than forums.

Best,

AP

Back