UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

New websites needed. They somewhat messed it up when they changed to the current site imo

Price increase is a shame, pushing it more towards the current Manga UK scammy prices

Changing to shipping all items in one shipment makes sense for most orders but as above, using the 15% discount on a mix of instock/preorder will be an issue

I don't really buy all that much at this point so I guess I'm not all that impacted by this, but I'm kinda surprised it took this long for them to increase prices. They've offer much more for less than everyone else for so long, this probably kills blind buys for me but as I say I barely buy anything now anyway so eh.

Nice they're getting a new store, the current one while functional, is awful.

Price increases seem fine to me, particularly since that's before any kind of discount. Very rarely do things sell for RRP unless you're in CR's crazy version of the world. :rolleyes:

I very rarely buy anime anyways, so when I do it's always something I really want and the AL sets deliver top quality for those so I'm fairly happy to continue supporting 'em.

Long live Christmas.

RRP for AL has always been pretty expensive, that doesn't change. We'll see how it is for early birds and sales. This'll maybe just change my blind buys. For the stuff that I really want, I'll probably still get it, unless we're talking crazy UE territory.

As for shipping, it means that all my (big) orders will have to go though FedEx which ends up super expensive. So it's 15 gbp, but when adding their taxes, it's really 35 gbp (not even talking Vat).

I dunno, I'll have to try a Christmas order or exclusive release, but yeah, 15 gbp shipping on top of an early bird will have me thinking next time they do an exclusive box or something like Juju Kaisen.

I'm not a huge fan of that shipping change. It's not easy to hit £100 or more in a single order sometimes without preorders for the early birds.

While I'm typically ok with waiting 3 months for an order to ship, AL are infamous for delays and rarely actually ship out the preorder on the first scheduled release date. I might end up waiting like a year for my order to come, all while paying for it in advance.

Frankly, they should also update their policy to not charge the customer until the item ships with this new policy of holding everything until it all comes in stock, especially considering credit card protection lapses around 6 months after the charge.

At least I know not to preorder any Gundam titles. That will be at least a year delay to your entire order, if not more :p

The final update to our webshop is regarding shipping. As you may have seen recently, there have been many changes to shipping infrastructure in the last few years, and we’ve had quite a few customers ask that we hold packages until all items in the order are ready. Now, we’ll be doing that as standard – orders will not be sent out until all items within that order are available. However, if you’d still like to split your orders to get specific items sooner than others, you’re able to just as before – simply make a separate order for each shipment you’d like to receive, and this change will not apply to you if you don’t want it to. Shipping will update to this scheme starting today, and if you have an existing order with us this will be shipped only once all items are available to ship.

So, my early bird order from last years Christmas sales (which still has 3 items left to ship) won't ship now until September at earliest, almost a year after it was made. Really smart decision AL. 🤦‍♂️👏

Does anyone else think it's a bit disingenuous of AL to announce this massive change that devalues Anime Unlimited within weeks of the majority of member's subscriptions renewing? It launched on 18th May 2021 with Screen Anime retiring 25th May 2021. They have robbed us of the chance to make an informed decision about our subscriptions. As a UK customer, I'm probably not going to cancel, but I am not happy I wasn't given a choice.

I'm going to assume that the lovely people at AL aren't actively trying to screw us and that this is a symptom of the plague that is Embracer Group, but it is very disappointing to see nevertheless.

So, my early bird order from last years Christmas sales (which still has 3 items left to ship) won't ship now until September at earliest, almost a year after it was made. Really smart decision AL. 🤦‍♂️👏
My first thought when I saw the email was that I feel awful for the poor bastards who have orders impacted by Ascendance of a Bookworm.

Yeah, with the length of their delays on Collector's sets being an average of 6 months, ordering anything over £100 for free international shipping during their Holiday and Spring sales will be a challenge; I will have to make separate £100+ orders for in-stock items and pre-order items, so at least I can get the in-stock items shipped out fairly quickly. With their regular shipping charge to the US being £25, I wouldn't even consider ordering pre-order items individually in separate orders.

So I still have the Nadia UE (31/7), Tower of God CE (25/9), and Ascendance of a Bookworm CE (25/9) together in a pre-order from the '22 Holiday Sale, so I guess I won't get Nadia shipped now until the end of September along with the other two - barring any further delays on any of them. I may just cancel my order for Nadia. I'm sure this is going to limit the amount of future purchases from AL, even during their big sales. Unfortunately, collecting any anime on Blu-ray, domestic or imports, is really looking bleaker and bleaker all around.

Last edited:
Random sidenote here but are we still waiting for replacement Re:zero discs for the collectors edition? I gave them AL details last year and still haven't heard anything to the best of my recollection.

The Princess Jellyfish CE is still at its early bird(?) price of £34.99, so I grabbed a copy of that. Seems like now's the time when prices are about to go north.

And yes, there should at least be an option for customers to not be charged at the point of purchase. I won't preorder from them cause I'd rather my money be in my account for 6-12 months rather than theirs. That they put Feb/March dates on Christmas pre-orders - optimistic at best, disingenuous at worst - compounds the issue.

Does anyone else think it's a bit disingenuous of AL to announce this massive change that devalues Anime Unlimited within weeks of the majority of member's subscriptions renewing? It launched on 18th May 2021 with Screen Anime retiring 25th May 2021. They have robbed us of the chance to make an informed decision about our subscriptions. As a UK customer, I'm probably not going to cancel, but I am not happy I wasn't given a choice.

I'm going to assume that the lovely people at AL aren't actively trying to screw us and that this is a symptom of the plague that is Embracer Group, but it is very disappointing to see nevertheless.

The value of Anime (Un)Limited hasn't changed at all - that discount remains the same. Any timing there is also entirely coincidental - we weren't in a position to announce these changes prior to MCM otherwise we would have, but aligning everything plus event preparation took us into this week.

Beyond that specific point, these changes are nothing to do with ownership, or any other conspiracy theories - they're simply a product of the current state of the world. Costs have been increasing markedly since the pandemic in particular, and after a decade of absorbing those costs we simply can't do so any further for our TV series Collector's Editions without either raising the prices or reducing the quality of our releases, and the decision there is a no-brainer for us.

Similarly, shipping costs have been on the rise for years now, and recent analysis showed that we simply can't sustainably continue to offer the same shipping options as before - splitting shipments is not only a major expense to try to absorb, our research showed that the vast majority of our customers dislike split shipments and want an order to be dispatched in one go. We are actually the only company who insisted upon splitting shipments at our current fulfilment centre (and caused them to have to set up special processes to accommodate us!), so this is really a reversion to normal shipping behaviour for most businesses operating at our scale. And when it comes to EU shipping, what we're charging is in line with the costs we sustain per order shipment, such is the landscape at this point in time.

We do hear folks when it comes to Christmas in particular - I will say we're looking to do things a little differently this year, so watch this space as we move closer to that period in terms of product offerings, and we'll consider potential strategies around sale-specific discount codes to see what's possible there, as it's as important time for us as it is for you folks!

The value of Anime (Un)Limited hasn't changed at all - that discount remains the same. Any timing there is also entirely coincidental - we weren't in a position to announce these changes prior to MCM otherwise we would have, but aligning everything plus event preparation took us into this week.

Beyond that specific point, these changes are nothing to do with ownership, or any other conspiracy theories - they're simply a product of the current state of the world. Costs have been increasing markedly since the pandemic in particular, and after a decade of absorbing those costs we simply can't do so any further for our TV series Collector's Editions without either raising the prices or reducing the quality of our releases, and the decision there is a no-brainer for us.

Similarly, shipping costs have been on the rise for years now, and recent analysis showed that we simply can't sustainably continue to offer the same shipping options as before - splitting shipments is not only a major expense to try to absorb, our research showed that the vast majority of our customers dislike split shipments and want an order to be dispatched in one go. We are actually the only company who insisted upon splitting shipments at our current fulfilment centre (and caused them to have to set up special processes to accommodate us!), so this is really a reversion to normal shipping behaviour for most businesses operating at our scale. And when it comes to EU shipping, what we're charging is in line with the costs we sustain per order shipment, such is the landscape at this point in time.

We do hear folks when it comes to Christmas in particular - I will say we're looking to do things a little differently this year, so watch this space as we move closer to that period in terms of product offerings, and we'll consider potential strategies around sale-specific discount codes to see what's possible there, as it's as important time for us as it is for you folks!
This is good information, cheers Hanners :)

The main problem with split shipments for EU customers was, that we had to pay the customs handling fees of the shipping company multiple times - so yes, I prefer it that way as long as no IOSS is implemented.
(And please implement IOSS -

On the other hand I can understand that for christmas this may cause heavy delays, especially if one or more titles ordered is affected by unusual delays. A possible solution could be, that in cause of "unusual delays" one could offer split shippings on request of the customer?

It's unrelated there on that frontier and definitely not intentional or related to our joining a bigger group. As Andy pointed out, the inflation of costs of materials has impacted us for quite some time now (since 2020/2021) and it's not getting any better.

As you can guess, we held on as long as we humanly could before transferring any of this over to folks and made sure to communicate clearly about it when we did so it wasn't just snuck in either (as you have seen elsewhere in the home entertainment space.) It matters to us that folks understand (although understandably not necessarily like) that there is a logic to it.

Worth also noting is that Early Bird deals will still be good value for money versus buying at SRP. If you're an AL:U member the majority of any price rise will be covered out by your discount.

If you do need to cancel, do reach out as well - while it's a bit of a fiddlier process to calculate the refunds we're still happy to do that if people feel aggreived :).

The main problem with split shipments for EU customers was, that we had to pay the customs handling fees of the shipping company multiple times - so yes, I prefer it that way as long as no IOSS is implemented.
(And please implement IOSS -

On the other hand I can understand that for christmas this may cause heavy delays, especially if one or more titles ordered is affected by unusual delays. A possible solution could be, that in cause of "unusual delays" one could offer split shippings on request of the customer?

Definitely fair points and we're investigating options to handle things for overseas friends there - sorry for any pain you've endured so far on shipments so far too!

Very best,

Andrew

What is the reason that IOSS support is taking so long I’d love to be able to use Alltheanime as my sole shop for anime get anime unlimited and benifit from the great packaging but with customs charges as they are rn it’s not viable, last few years I’ve been holding off until sales but is really like to be able to avail of all the early birds deals etc

Honestly speaking, I don't necessarily mind holding back shipments till everything is in stock. Hypothetically, if I have a preorder that comes out in March with my Christmas sale items, I don't mind if everything gets held back to ship until March if it helps you save on shipping costs and in turn, able to continue putting out those excellent CEs that I love. I made that order with full knowledge of your policy and can wait that long to get what I ordered in exchange for the discounts and free shipping.

However, it is a different story with delays. When that March preorder gets delayed till September (or even longer) and with it, my entire order, that is very frustrating. Add in the fact this is a regular occurrence for all of your preorders, this new policy makes it very difficult to justify preorders with in stock items because I have no idea when I'll ever get my in stock items.

Personally speaking, I think it'd be a fair compromise to partial ship out any in stock items on the original latest release date (at the time of the order) for any preorders and everything else will be held till the rest of the order is fully in stock.

Back