UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I can confirm that Seraph of the End uses the Universal discs. Unfortunately, I'm unable to confirm anything regarding The Heroic Legend of Arslan as I don't have the release.
I have the Universal Seraph of the End boxes, labelled S1 part 1 (2 discs) and S1 part2 (2 discs).
But the AL release of this states that it includes Season 1 and Season 2 (over 4 discs).
I’m assuming it’s just been relabelled (or something), as two seasons sounds more impressive. Or am I missing something here?

Definitely getting both Zeta sets as a friend and I are making our way through Gundam The Origin manga and it's amazing. Do I need to watch ZZ as well before Char's Counterattack though?

I'm going to join the previous replies in recommending you don't skip ZZ. It's not strictly necessary for CCA but it's a good continuation to Zeta and even the lighthearted bits work quite well, it's definitely one of my favourite Gundam shows.

What made you think there would be gundam news to begin with? Was char the man on your shoulder? You should know not to listen to him.
My outside bet is they announce Witch From Mercury s1 at MCM. Beyond that I'm currently expecting zero Gundam this year, not even 0080 which I'm still amazed hasn't been a Christmas release.

They walked back commitment back in December and like I said recently I'm effectively resigned to nothing about the current UK releases of Gundam tallying with what I personally hope for.

Wow, I guess I got lucky - I had pre-populated my cart with some CE titles I was considering purchasing during the sale, and every one of them is actually included in the sale. So, I guess I will be buying them all, lol. I've got 5 Collector Editions from the sale and 1 pre-order CE in my cart, and I will be adding the Garden of Words steelbook pre-order next week before placing my order. With VAT removed, the 15% off coupon, and Free International Shipping, the total will be somewhere around £140, if everything in my cart is still available next Thursday when the GoW steelbook goes up. All 5 of the sale items will be double-or-more-dips for me on other region releases I already have; I'm just wanting these for the nicer AL Collector's packaging, of course!

Maybe not so lucky for my wallet, though...

Last edited:
My outside bet is they announce Witch From Mercury s1 at MCM. Beyond that I'm currently expecting zero Gundam this year, not even 0080 which I'm still amazed hasn't been a Christmas release.

They walked back commitment back in December and like I said recently I'm effectively resigned to nothing about the current UK releases of Gundam tallying with what I personally hope for.
Note- I have no hands on experience with the running of AL as a business. What follows is simply fan/consumer opinion on a possibility.

Let's say indeed we get no Gundam titles this year. I think there's a way to make 0080 into an olive branch release. Work on it so it's ready and waiting to release in time for December. Announce it as part of the 12 Days of Christmas event (say day 2 or 3) and promote it as "We didn't do any big Gundam releases this year but to show goodwill to fans, here's a festive stocking stuffer. 0080, ready for 'immediate' dispatch so if you buy it now you should receive it in time for Christmas."

I know I'm not the only one who keeps asking for more Gundam releases and if they really can't get out a bigger entry this year a gesture like this would show they aren't taking UK fans for granted.

0080 a Christmas story? I know it’s set around then but it’s one of the most anti war things I’ve seen I can’t see myself ever popping it on in December.

True. AL should have released it ages ago anyway considering its popularity.
The way I see it it shouldn't be a massive ask to get it. It's 6 half hour episodes and some extras so basically 6+ hours of content. I think for how off the rails their UK Gundam releases have gone it'd be a small simple gesture.

Last edited:

I think the next UK Gundam release will probably be CR's release of Doan's Island. I also reckon CR will grab the rights for Witch from Mercury. As for AL, not sure really, I'm getting a little of the sense that now they've put out the big tentpole classic series their interest in the franchise is waning so we might not actually get some of the smaller stuff that the US got like 0080 or 08th MS Team.

I think the next UK Gundam release will probably be CR's release of Doan's Island. I also reckon CR will grab the rights for Witch from Mercury. As for AL, not sure really, I'm getting a little of the sense that now they've put out the big tentpole classic series their interest in the franchise is waning so we might not actually get some of the smaller stuff that the US got like 0080 or 08th MS Team.
I mean the least surprising Gundam releases have been SEED and SEED Destiny because Bandai currently has a 'global' initiative to hype the in production movie, with Fukuda confirming my decade old theory last year- the movie was originally supposed to come out 10 years ago on the heels of the 'HD' versions.

My read as a very passionate fan (with understanding there have been certain things beyond their own control) is that they've decided Gundam is a franchise they can stagger out which if true is a mistake. We're 2 years away from a decade since AL got the license and even if we've been told they apparently have to individually bid for each title it's painfully staggered. It says something when rightstuf is getting to the kooky spins off and effectively in the same span of time we haven't even finished UC.

It does seem strange that they haven't released 0080 yet. It has made me wonder if they're trying to do it on UHD since it was the only one of the series restored in 4K, but that feels unlikely.

I think at this point as much as I'd love AL to do a release of Witch From Mercury I'd also like a release before 2030 and Crunchyroll seem to have been promoting it hard so might have picked up UK rights as well.

As someone who's bought every Gundam release they've done day one, I think I'm tapping out and just gonna import the rest while I can.
I will own G-Gundam one way or another.

I think at this point as much as I'd love AL to do a release of Witch From Mercury I'd also like a release before 2030 and Crunchyroll seem to have been promoting it hard so might have picked up UK rights as well.

As someone who's bought every Gundam release they've done day one, I think I'm tapping out and just gonna import the rest while I can.
I'm rather annoyed that Crunchyroll has the film and Witch of Mercury, because no offense to the CR UK branch but I don't see Gundam selling well under their name compared to AL's. Sometimes a title works and sells better under a specific distributor in my opinion.

It's also amusing that Gundam Blu-rays were re-released in Japan with English subtitles in the past few years.

The only reason I have any feeling they'll announce Witch From Mercury is they've mentioned it a few times now. Plus give the platforming they've done as a company, a popular entry with gay/bisexual leads feels like something I could see AL making a priority for.

I'm prepared to be entirely wrong. I have been in the past with AL guesses more than once.

The only reason I have any feeling they'll announce Witch From Mercury is they've mentioned it a few times now. Plus give the platforming they've done as a company, a popular entry with gay/bisexual leads feels like something I could see AL making a priority for.

I'm prepared to be entirely wrong. I have been in the past with AL guesses more than once.
I hope so. I can see Crunchyroll only having theatrical rights for the Island film if AL had managed to get their hands on that for home video.

Just wish they sped up the Gundam game (yes yes I know the whole merger in Japan delayed things but sometimes a reason (or excuse if you want to use that term) can only last for so long).

This is the rub for me. I was delighted back in 2015 when AL started releasing Gundam but it's just fallen so by the wayside I myself am considering just importing the US releases so at least I have a complete library. I know all sorts of things have played a role (Brexit, COVID, corporate mergers, etc) but as I've said many times we know EXACTLY what it looks like when AL is passionate about a title and that hasn't been Gundam with them for a long time. Instead it's the series they seem to bristle at/shrug when fans ask or complain. We're talking about a company whose identity is being premium releases done with respect and yet they seem tuned out on one of anime's biggest franchises. It's actually kind of shocking.

I'm rather annoyed that Crunchyroll has the film and Witch of Mercury, because no offense to the CR UK branch but I don't see Gundam selling well under their name compared to AL's. Sometimes a title works and sells better under a specific distributor in my opinion.

It's also amusing that Gundam Blu-rays were re-released in Japan with English subtitles in the past few years.
100% agree, certain franchises are 'niche' and the fan base want a release that is a bit special and Gundam is very much in that category.
AL's releases have all been fantastic as they catered to the collector but crunchyroll (mostly) caters to the mass market and doesn't give the resources to do justice to every title.

Obviously AL haven't done themselves favours with gassing people up for 2+ yrs with 'yeah we got Gundam coming!' Then failing to deliver 🤷‍♂️
I'd bet its 100% out of their control and not for a lack of trying but there comes a point when you've gotta lay your cards on the table and say what your plans are.

Looking back at past Gundam releases (not including standed re-releases) their last 3 were:
Gundam SEED Destiny - Dec 2022
Gundam F91 - June 2021
Turn A Gundam pt2 - Jan 2021

Back