UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Full sincerity, I think Crunchyroll are a terrible company. I don't want to give them money. For any griping I do I firmly view Anime Limited as an ethical company (just look at the voices they platform during Anime Matsuri). Hence I'd rather Gundam in the UK stay where it 'is'.
I don't see Crunchyroll UK wanting to claim UK exclusive rights going forward at this point, especially as they lack the manpower from my perspective (heck if they wanted to get UK only releases then they shouldn't have laid off the Funi UK staff).

In other words other than Gundam Island and maybe Witch from Mercury, I expect Bandai Namco Filmworks (aka Sunrise) will still work with Anime Limited on the Gundam catalogue that Rightstuf have released for the US.

On another note, Demon Slayer's main TV arcs might have a chance with Anime Limited, otherwise they would have been released by the UK branch by now.

I don't see Crunchyroll UK wanting to claim UK exclusive rights going forward at this point, especially as they lack the manpower from my perspective (heck if they wanted to get UK only releases then they shouldn't have laid off the Funi UK staff).

In other words other than Gundam Island and maybe Witch from Mercury, I expect Bandai Namco Filmworks (aka Sunrise) will still work with Anime Limited on the Gundam catalogue that Rightstuf have released for the US.

On another note, Demon Slayer's main TV arcs might have a chance with Anime Limited, otherwise they would have been released by the UK branch by now.
To add to this - Andrew during his Q&A said we should have news soon regarding Re Zero season 2 so thats another Crunchyroll title which by the sounds of things will be sticking with AL hopefully.

You know I hadn't even considered the impact that the Sony acquisition on Rightsuf & Nozomi would have on the Gundam license in the UK until now, but yeah, things will probably suck for us. I'm definitely glad that I finally caved & imported War in the pocket. If AL haven't managed to bring it out yet, then I have virtually no faith in Crunchyroll doing so. Hell, they're not even releasing the majority of their non shounen or isekai titles at this point in the UK, despite making their disks region A/B. I imported Sonny Boy & Heike Story in the (potentially last) Rightstuf sale because I have little confidence in them seeing a release any time soon.

Justin Sevakis was talking about how short-sided executives in major media companies don't care about physical media, despite them (particularly anime) still being profitable. I hoping we're not seeing the front end of what will eventually be a global thing, barring boutique labels like Discotek & hopefully A/L. The future does not rule.

Hell, they're not even releasing the majority of their non shounen or isekai titles at this point in the UK, despite making their disks region A/B. I imported Sonny Boy & Heike Story in the (potentially last) Rightstuf sale because I have little confidence in them seeing a release any time soon.
From my understanding they make most if not all of their release region A/B now because its easier to use the same disk for the US, UK and Australia but what makes no sense about that is they only release a couple of their new releases in the UK while most if not all get released in Australia. Which is a much smaller market and they only stay in print for about a year or two. I can't understand Crunchyrolls logic along with Sonys. They can't be making much money off the Aussie Market in comparison to the UK one.

From my understanding they make most if not all of their release region A/B now because its easier to use the same disk for the US, UK and Australia but what makes no sense about that is they only release a couple of their new releases in the UK while most if not all get released in Australia. Which is a much smaller market and they only stay in print for about a year or two. I can't understand Crunchyrolls logic along with Sonys. They can't be making much money off the Aussie Market in comparison to the UK one.
One key difference between the UK & Australia, despite having a rating board system, is that the UK requires the rating to be on the disc artwork, while Australia doesn't which is why you end up with US import stock with Australian stickers on the packaging.

So its basically extra cost to bring them into the UK - cost for discs, cost for rating, and cost for artwork on the packaging.

I'd add that due to certain choices in the last 6 years the UK is financially weaker and less of a priority. Partial example, consider how many Japanese entities went out of their way to exhibit at MCM pre 2016. That doesn't happen anymore.

In a lot of ways the UK is learning what happens to a tiny little island when it embraces being a tiny little island...

Back