Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD & Blu-Ray

Re: Anime Limited Announce First Release: Cowboy Bebop DVD &

I would definitely love to see more shojo/josei stuff released over here. Any of the stuff that's airing this season, plus some older stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura. If you get Nodame Cantabile I'll die happy.

Just Passing Through said:
kaze_andrew said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Comparison between Japanese BD and, I think, R1 Bebop Remix

So yeah. Note the horrible dot crawl and rainbowing on the DVD shots. And presumably the UK DVDs will have added unsightly NTSC-PAL frame blending for good measure.

Who says I plan to do an NTSC-PAL conversion... :)?

Dabbling with the idea of starting NTSC colour DVDs for now unless I can find a magic way to remove that very problem as many people are doing it and returns are proving negligible.

Thoughts?

AP
PS Holdbacks on BD due to requirement not so much choice.

Third Window Films have been releasing their DVDs as NTSC for the last 12 months or so and they've been great, but the key is getting proper progressive transfers that decode to 24fps on compatible equipment. Interlaced NTSC discs just don't look good on UK TVs, and I'm forever fiddling with my Blu-ray player's settings trying to reduce flicker and combing artefacts on US R1 anime discs. But recently Terracotta released Gyo as a progressive NTSC disc and it looked excellent. TRSI's Nadesico boxset also has the movie as progressive, but the series discs are interlaced. Of course Blu-ray at 1080p is the perfect option, but if a BD has to be interlaced it should be 60Hz, not 50Hz, as that gets 4% speedup as well (chipmunked textless credits on Persona 4 BD).

As for a wishlist of titles, I hope that you can get some of the more niche shows that companies like TRSI and NISA are releasing, stuff like Bunny Drop and Ristorante Paradiso, the shows that aren't represented by the mainstream releases in the UK. Of course they'll probably sell fewer copies, so maybe go for LE's with mega packaging and physical extras to offset LE prices that will work at a few hundred sales instead of a couple thousand. Of course there are some mainstream titles that have slipped through the gaps, and Gosick definitely needs a release here. Some classics could use BDs, and as they are getting HD treatments in Japan, materials for shows like Bubblegum Crisis and Paranoia Agent ought to exist. Blu-rays for Satoshi Kon's film catalogue would be nice, although I haven't heard good things about the Japanese release of Tokyo Godfathers or Perfect Blue.

Will keep all duly in mind there - thanks for the notes on how it is doing! I'll get back to you after we've done a release for more feedback and see how it goes.

Titles duly noted too! What were the issues with the Satoshi Kon BD releases in Japan by the way? Not heard much either way on them!

AP

kaze_andrew said:

Dabbling with the idea of starting NTSC colour DVDs for now unless I can find a magic way to remove that very problem as many people are doing it and returns are proving negligible.

Thoughts?
I was talking about the previous releases being NTSC-PAL conversions. As for the new release, I won't be watching the DVDs and thus don't really mind what you do with them. Leaving them NTSC seems like a neat and tidy way to sidestep the whole issue, though.

Why are we being so unambitious overall and suggesting things which already have English language home video releases somewhere? Andrew, please bring us Kemono No Souja Erin, Wandering Son and JoJo*!

Oh, and why not LotGH? :D

Great to hear that non-PAL-converted content is a possibility.

R

(* if you can announce that one before I break and import it all blind at great expense it would be especially fabulous...)

Rui said:
Why are we being so unambitious overall and suggesting things which already have English language home video releases somewhere?
Personally, because old-fashioned cel animation in HD makes me weep tears of joy at it's beauty.

Well, we don't have an easy alternative for HD BGC so I'll give you that one.

It's pleasant hearing the jealousy from the US for once following the announcement of Bebop.

R

kaze_andrew said:
kaze_andrew said:

Thoughts?

AP
PS Holdbacks on BD due to requirement not so much choice.

Third Window Films have been releasing their DVDs as NTSC for the last 12 months or so and they've been great, but the key is getting proper progressive transfers that decode to 24fps on compatible equipment. Interlaced NTSC discs just don't look good on UK TVs, and I'm forever fiddling with my Blu-ray player's settings trying to reduce flicker and combing artefacts on US R1 anime discs. But recently Terracotta released Gyo as a progressive NTSC disc and it looked excellent. TRSI's Nadesico boxset also has the movie as progressive, but the series discs are interlaced. Of course Blu-ray at 1080p is the perfect option, but if a BD has to be interlaced it should be 60Hz, not 50Hz, as that gets 4% speedup as well (chipmunked textless credits on Persona 4 BD).

As for a wishlist of titles, I hope that you can get some of the more niche shows that companies like TRSI and NISA are releasing, stuff like Bunny Drop and Ristorante Paradiso, the shows that aren't represented by the mainstream releases in the UK. Of course they'll probably sell fewer copies, so maybe go for LE's with mega packaging and physical extras to offset LE prices that will work at a few hundred sales instead of a couple thousand. Of course there are some mainstream titles that have slipped through the gaps, and Gosick definitely needs a release here. Some classics could use BDs, and as they are getting HD treatments in Japan, materials for shows like Bubblegum Crisis and Paranoia Agent ought to exist. Blu-rays for Satoshi Kon's film catalogue would be nice, although I haven't heard good things about the Japanese release of Tokyo Godfathers or Perfect Blue.

Will keep all duly in mind there - thanks for the notes on how it is doing! I'll get back to you after we've done a release for more feedback and see how it goes.

Titles duly noted too! What were the issues with the Satoshi Kon BD releases in Japan by the way? Not heard much either way on them!

AP

I was reading these threads on The Fandom Post and Mania

Tokyo Godfathers
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue

which indicated excessive windowboxing on the Tokyo Godfather release, perhaps a sign that they used the same masters as the DVD, rather than starting again with the print. There's also one anecdotal post with a link to an image suggesting that Perfect Blue's BD was mastered from an SD source.

I suppose you've been burned with those Patlabor LE's to consider Patlabor on Blu for the UK, but Jin-roh is another title that's had Blu-ray releases in the US as well that might be a nice licence.

I was hoping to win lottery to set up own company but the chances of that are :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: not good

So Andrew please release Maison Ikkoku as I feel Rumiko Takahashi's work has not had alot of love in the UK as far as releases go.

This is AWESOME news! And I'll be squirrelling money away for it ASAP!

And, seeing as it's kind of become the bent of this thread, I'll chip in and say a big YES PLEASE to releases of classic, older shows.

We still need somebody to put out those Patlabor OVAs... hint, hint!

Mohawk52 said:
Well unless the orginal was shot on film

It was...

Although there was some CGI used for the effects, the space station elements and the like, the rest of the anime was good old fashioned ink on cels. It should look breathtaking in HD, hopefully as good as the recent Ninja Scroll BD turned out to be, although that depends on how much Sunrise spent on restoring it for BD release.

Now that's some good info that I hadn't realised.

I'm sitting there thinking old stuff wouldn't be much of a boost going onto BD but if it's old enough to be film and not digital ofcourse it's going to be good. That may seem obvious to some but i'm so used to it all being digital now and having to deal with dodgy upscales I never considered old titles could benefit from being older.

My biggest hope is that they bring some new gundam series to the market, even if it's some of the oldr series that never got a uk release. At this point I'd buy subtitled versions of turn a, victory & x.

I guess that would be too hopeful.

Rosencrantz said:
Mohawk52 said:
Well unless the orginal was shot on film

It was...

Although there was some CGI used for the effects, the space station elements and the like, the rest of the anime was good old fashioned ink on cels. It should look breathtaking in HD, hopefully as good as the recent Ninja Scroll BD turned out to be, although that depends on how much Sunrise spent on restoring it for BD release.

Now that's some good info that I hadn't realised.

I'm sitting there thinking old stuff wouldn't be much of a boost going onto BD but if it's old enough to be film and not digital ofcourse it's going to be good. That may seem obvious to some but i'm so used to it all being digital now and having to deal with dodgy upscales I never considered old titles could benefit from being older.
Erm no , just because it was put togather using "ink and cells" doesn't mean it was done on film. I will hazard a guess that the rostrum camera used was ENG that went to NTSC tape back in 1998 when it was first made.

As said on Facebook Andrew, if you can bring Giant Killing to the UK on a sub only release, that would be amazing.

I know it would be hard for Anime Limited because it's been licensed no where at the moment, but I think it might interest some footy nutters out in the UK, if you could somehow promote it.

As for old or new, I don't mind, I'll be very interested if you licensed shows like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure or Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei.

I look forward to your future announcements!

P.S Andrew It's my birthday on January 11th, Giant Killing DVD release announcement then? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew! If you get any of these (even if you have to make it a more expensive limited version) they will be preordered as soon as they go up XD

*Chihayafuru
*Kuroko's Basketball
*Area no Kishi
*Hikaru no Go
*YuruYuri
*Sasameki Koto
*Maison Ikkoku
*El Hazard

I could list many many more but i'm trying to keep it short.

So yeah.

Good luck with Anime Limited and I look forward to seeing your future announcements :D

If someone can license "Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions" (as I think Sentai are calling it - in other words, Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!), I will love them forever (especially if they can make our release look as pretty as the Japanese one). Kokoro Connect is another series that I would give anything to see released here.

I do have a question Andrew - I understand that both Kazé and MangaUK are playing it safe by only releasing sub-only titles on DVD for now (I think even Sentai are doing the same in America aren't they?). Will Anime Limited be continuing this, or will it be on a series-by-series basis?

Rui said:
Oh, and why not LotGH? :D

Totally second this!!!

A great BD release would be Giant Robo, the screenshots look amazing.
Going way back, I would suggest Future Boy Conan: it's one of the best anime series ever, it has never been released in an English speaking country, it got a great BD trasnfer recently, plus there's the name Miyazaki that would help to sell some copies.

About movies, Wings of Honneamise and Jin-Roh on BD would be awesome.

Teo

I just squeeed so loud that the cat jumped off me in surprise. :D

Where do I sign up for the Blu-ray?

Back