Anime Expo & Otakon 2019 News/Announcements Thread

The fact the two amazon shows I thought never would get licensed have gives me hope for stuff like Banana Fish. But yeah it had to be discotek no one else is interested in only physical

I'm very surprised that Space Adventure Cobra the Movie is (at least believed to be) popular enough for a UHD release. Nothing from that batch for me. I was hoping for a Toei Doga or a Takahata or Zambot 3

First time Discotek would release anything that requires the subtitles to be locked. In this case, The Great Passage and Battery.
The fact the two amazon shows I thought never would get licensed have gives me hope for stuff like Banana Fish. But yeah it had to be discotek no one else is interested in only physical

I'm guessing if Banana Fish was to be released, it would probably be released by Aniplex of America, but I could be completely wrong.

I liked the Discotek Panel this year but I have to admit I wasn't as blown away as I hoped. I have a bias towards retro releases from Discotek and the only new one of those we got was 'Cleopatra' which is neat but for me personally not the most exciting title (it also already has a UK release). I guess 'NG Knights Lamune' is also a new announcement though it got revealed earlier. Also the 'City Hunter' franchise get is a huge undertaking that I can't ignore even if it's only a rescue in truth and was a known quantity going in.

I'm excited for the 'Thermae Romae' dub, looks like alot of fun and the BD upgrade with a new dub for 'Eternal Fantasy' was a welcome surprise. I wasn't overly interested in 'Kemono Friends' before this panel but I think I might actually try that series now. 'Nutcracker Fantasy' on BD has me more interested than the DVD did. I watched 'The Great Passage' a few months ago and loved it so thats a nice get. 'Battery' I watched last year and I have mixed feelings about it but it's a nice move to see these streaming only noitaminA titles come out. Hopefully they won't be the last. Oh and of course getting the rest of 'Kyo Kara Maoh' is great news though I expected as much, though i struggled to get into the third series as the show does 'end' pretty well after the first two seasons if I remember correctly (it's been along time).

4K release of 'Space Adventure Cobra' is pretty cool, hopefully it does well. I have a 4K player but no TV for it yet. Though I will try to support this release as early as I can.

I think overall I just hoped for more classic TV series. These days Discotek are the only company you can really rely on to get that stuff. I know they've been heavy into rescues of late which is nice but I'm certainly missing those first ever releases of classic shows. Last year we were probably spoiled in terms of those sort of announcements I guess. I suppose there is still a limit to how many of those they can realistically put out at any one time as they require more work and more investment.

I did also hope to get BD upgrades for some of the following, hopefully they will still come in time - Orguss, Samurai Troopers, Mazinger Z, Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku.

Anyway it seems Discotek are healthy and thriving and so long as that's the case then I'm sure some more classic shows and Cel animated BDs will follow.

Last edited:
First time Discotek would release anything that requires the subtitles to be locked. In this case, The Great Passage and Battery.

I'm guessing if Banana Fish was to be released, it would probably be released by Aniplex of America, but I could be completely wrong.
I don’t believe it is, as I don’t believe being distributed by Aniplex in Japan instantly means AoA but who knows. They did specifically say nothing is streaming forever so I do think they are looking at all the unlicensed amazon/Netflix stuff.

I don’t believe it is, as I don’t believe being distributed by Aniplex in Japan instantly means AoA but who knows.
One perfect example of this is DARLING in the FRANXX. Aniplex Japan released it, but the licensor was ABC Asahi (or ABC Animation), and Funimation licensed it for the US. But regarding Banana Fish, in the end credits, I noticed that Aniplex (written in katakana) was credited for Production, alongside Fuji Television and Project Banana Fish, to name a few. But, as you said, who knows.

And I wonder if Discotek would release Welcome to the Ballroom with a new and better translation for the subtitles.

Regarding the remaining NoitaminA Amazon titles; Banana Fish, Saekano Flat, and Wotakoi are essentially Aniplex titles while at the same time they are also with Fuji Creative Corporation. It could go either way, but I reckon Aniplex of America may want those titles eventually.

That essentially leaves us with After the Rain and Inuyashiki Last Hero, both of which are great titles that ideally could land with anyone at this point. Both I feel should get dubs.

After the Rain probably will come later.
I do just wonder if disco are after all amazon stuff so for example Dororo or even Re:Creators though that’s aniplex again.

I know probably way too soon for this question, but Vinland Saga? Would be cool if they got some Scandis to do a dub, but they'll end up all sounding like they're from California or Texas.

Considering AoA keeps selling Saekano merchandise, released S1 (and sold out in a timely matter), I can't see any other than AoA doing a home release for it. The movie should be telling, we will probably know soon.

Macross and Harmony Gold: A Reversal of Fortune Panel:
  • Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko Productions have renewed the rights for the former to own Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Super Dimensional Fortress Macross. Despite the "next 35 years" quote they had used, it was never really confirmed how long they have extended it for, but chances are that it was enough so that Sony could try and make the Robotech live-action movie.
  • Harmony Gold has confirmed that the rest of Macross is not included in the rights deal, so it's just the original three anime shows.
Studio TRIGGER panel: PROMARE and New Title Announcement:
  • GKIDS recently acquired the rights to PROMARE and NYAV Post will be dubbing the film.
  • The new title announcement was for BNA, also known as Brand New Animal. The series will be released in 2020 as part of the +ULTRA programming block and streaming exclusively through Netflix.
The Future of Digimon:
  • Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth & Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory is coming to Nintendo Switch in one package this October.
  • Digimon Survive has been pushed back to 2020.
  • The name of the next Digimon movie is called Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna, and will be released in early 2020.
Seven Seas Entertainment Industry Panel:
  • Manga
    • Citrus+, Scheduled for English simulpub release in Autumn 2019 & print release in February 2020
    • The Conditions of Paradise (Rakuen no Jouken), Scheduled for English release in February 2020
    • GIGANT, Scheduled for English release in March 2020
    • The King of Fighters: A New Beginning, Scheduled for English release in January 2020
    • Metamorphose no Engawa, Scheduled for English release in April 2020
    • My Androgynous Boyfriend (Genderless Danshi ni Aisareteimasu.), Scheduled for English release in February 2020
    • My Status as an Assassin Obviously Exceeds the Hero’s (Ansatsusha de Aru Ore no Status ga Yuusha yori mo Akiraka ni Tsuyoi no da ga), Scheduled for English release in March 2020
    • Primitive Boyfriend (Genshijin Kareshi), Scheduled for English release in Spring/Summer 2020
  • Light Novels/Novels
    • At Night, I Become a Monster (Yoru no Bakemono), Scheduled for English release in Spring/Summer 2020
    • Bloom Into You: Regarding Saeki Sayaka (Yagate Kimi ni Naru Saeki Sayaka ni Tsuite), Scheduled for English release in February 2020
Kodansha Comics & Vertical Comics Manga Panel:
  • Kodansha Comics:
    • New Licenses
      • Beyond the Clouds - La Fillette tombée du ciel, Series had been published in France first, coming in 2020
      • Knight of the Ice (Ginban Kishi), coming in 2020
      • Rent-A-Girlfriend (Kanojo, Okarishimasu), coming in 2020
      • Saiyuki (Gensomaden Saiyuki), coming in 2020 via hardcover omnibus volumes
      • Something’s Wrong With Us (Watashi-tachi wa Douka Shiteiru), coming in 2020
      • Sue and Tai-chan (Sue to Tai-chan), coming in 2020
      • Sweat and Soap (Ase to Sekken), coming in 2020
      • Yuzu the Pet Vet (Yuzu no Dōbutsu Karte ~Kochira Wan Nyan Dōbutsu Byōin~), coming in 2020
    • New Licenses coming to Digital
      • Goodbye! I’m Being Reincarnated! (Goodbye! Isekai Tensei), 6th August
      • The Great Cleric (Seija Musou: Salaryman, Isekai de Ikinokoru Tame ni Ayumu Michi), 23rd July
      • The Knight Cartoonist and her Orc Editor (Orc Henshuusha to Onna Kishi Mangaka-san), 13th August
      • The Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Tensura Nikki Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken), 30th July
    • Digital titles coming to Print
      • Farewell, My Dear Cramer (Sayonara Watashi no Cramer), coming in 2020
      • Living-Room Matsunaga-san (Living no Matsunaga-san), coming in 2020
      • Perfect World, coming in 2020
      • Saint Young Men (Saint☆Oniisan), coming in 2020
    • Classics line-up
      • Chobits
      • Clover
  • Vertical Comics
    • New Manga Licenses via Vertical Comics
      • Daily Lives of High School Boys (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou), coming in early 2020
      • A Trail of Blood (Chi no Wadachi), coming in early 2020
    • New Novel Updates via Vertical
      • Bakemonogatari is getting audiobook versions
      • Owarimonogatari Part 1 is coming this October
World Premiere of FUJI TV's hottest series in "+Ultra" block:
  • Carole and Tuesday's 1st cour (episodes 1-12) is coming to Netflix worldwide outside of Japan on 30th August 2019. The songs the characters sing will not be redubbed in other languages.
  • Airing in Japan under the block after Carole and Tuesday are BEASTARS in October, Drifting Dragons in January, and BNA in 2020.
J-Novel Club Industry Panel:
  • Futabasha! is the next Japanese publisher to allow J-Novel Club to license their properties.
  • New Light Novel Licenses:
    • Altina the Sword Princess (Haken no Kouki Altina)
    • BEATLESS
      • Tokyo Otaku Mode serialised the series, but J-Novel Club will provide a translation.
      • TOM members will be able to read the books for free exclusively through TOM
      • eBooks from JNC will arrive sometime in 2020.
    • The Combat Baker and the Automaton Waitress (Tatakau Panya to Automaton Waitress)
    • Onna dakara, to Party wo Tsuihou Sareta node Densetsu no Majo to Saikyou Tag wo Kumimashita!
    • Otherwise Picnic (Ura Sekai Picnic)
    • Seinaru Kishi no Ankokudou
    • There Was No Secret Evil-Fighting Organization (srsly?!) So I Made One MYSELF! (Sekai no Yami to Tatakau Himitsu Kessha ga Nai kara Tsukutta (Hangire))
  • New Manga Licenses:
    • Cooking with Wild Game
    • Demon Lord, Retry! (Maou-sama, Retry!)
    • Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Reckless Journey (Majutsushi Orphen: Mubou-hen)
  • Invaders of the Rokujouma (Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?)is getting a Kickstarter campaign for its print release (because the series is really long):
    • The campaign is for print versions of volumes 1-31 of the light novels.
    • The campaign begins this Autumn 2019.
    • Novel volumes will be released in 10 softcover collections (omnibus) with 3-4 volumes each.
    • Primary goal is to reach $50,000.
    • Reward tiers will range between $20 to $5000.
    • 1st Stretch Goal: Collector’s Box.
    • 2nd Stretch Goal: Drama CDs.
    • Delivery of rewards is estimated for the 1st half of 2020.
    • JNC will print an art book with art from the series as an extra reward (not for sale).
    • If the Kickstarter is a success, they will release volumes 32 onwards normally.
MangaGamer: The Now & Future of Visual Novels:
  • New Licenses:
    • Eternal Torment
    • Funbag Fantasy: Sideboob Story 2
    • Rance 01: Quest for Hikari, a remake of Rance 1
    • Rance 02: The Rebellious Maidens
  • Other updates:
    • Rance 01 and 02 will be packaged together in a single product at launch.
    • The Kai content for Rance may be added via post-launch.
    • Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Minagoroshi (the 7th chapter of Higurashi Hou) is coming 18th July
What's going on in the industry with Sol Press?!:
  • Manga
    • How to Treat a Lady Knight Right (Ima made Ichidomo Onna Atsukai sareta koto ga nai Onna Kishi wo Onna Atsukai Suru Manga)
    • The Ride-On King
  • Video Games
    • Witch's Garden
    • Hyper-Highspeed-Genius
    • Happiness! 2 Sakura Celebration
    • All three of the above will have all-ages versions available
Denpa Books Industry Panel:
  • The Girl with the Sanpaku Eyes (Sanpakugan-chan wa Tsutaetai.), manga, Spring 2020
  • Guyabano Holiday, manga, Spring 2020
Global Stories: Netflix Anime:
  • Cannon Busters is heading to Netflix on 15th August 2019
  • Ultramarine Magmel is officially confirmed for the platform (many thought that because it was a Chinese property that it might have stayed in Japan only back when it aired in the Spring 2019 season).
And that pretty much concludes all of the news and updates from Anime Expo 2019. Stay tuned for Otakon 2019 in a couple of weeks time.
Just geat So Harmony Gold will continue to make it difficult for anyone else who wants to license any of the Macross animes.

Back