Anime Expo & Otakon 2019 News/Announcements Thread

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
It's that time of year once again - the E3 of anime news in the United States is back and as per usual any news that crops up will be mentioned in this thread. Since the other big convention Otakon is also close by, both will be covered in this thread.

Because there are so many panels happening over the weekend, I'm going to cover a portion of them in the list down below:

Thursday 4th July 2019:
  • 03:30 - Dark Horse Manga
  • 05:30 - JAST USA New and Upcoming Titles
  • 18:30 - MAPPA SHOW 2019, Official Spike Chunsoft Panel, WIT STUDIO Featuring Ani-Sta
  • 20:00 - Little Witch Academia: VR Project Panel
  • 20:30 - VIZ Media Official Panel
  • 21:30 - Yen Press 2019 Industry Panel
  • 22:00 - Get Down With The Get Down: IFI Marketing
  • 23:30 - BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! and Revue Starlight Re LIVE Special Panel
Friday 5th July 2019:
  • 00:00 - Funimation Announcements Panel, TBS animation Industry Panel
  • 00:30 - Visual Novels with Sekai Project
  • 01:00 - Legend: Katsuhiro Otomo New Projects Announcement
  • 01:30 - Crunchyroll Games Industry Panel
  • 02:00 - Aniplex of America Industry Panel
  • 06:00 - FAKKU Presents: Hentai Worth Watching (18+)
  • 06:30 - Denpasoft: Erecting A Market & The Rise of Adult Gaming (18+), Funimation Peep Show (18+)
  • 18:00 - NISA Community Panel & Red Moon Day dood!, Sentai Filmworks Industry Panel, Tokyo Otaku Mode Official Panel
  • 19:30 - ELEVEN ARTS Industry, GKIDS Industry Panel
  • 20:00 - Crunchyroll x MAPPA Presents: Zombie Land Saga Stage Event
  • 21:00 - Pony Canyon Industry Panel
  • 22:30 - A-1 Pictures Panel
  • 23:30 - Aksys Games Panel of GLOBAL DOMINATION!, Warner Bros. Japan Anime Lineup featuring JOJO's Bizarre Adventure
Saturday 6th July 2019:
  • 00:00 - SQUARE ENIX Announcements Panel
  • 00:30 - Gundam 40th Anniversary Panel
  • 02:00 - Macross and Harmony Gold: A Reversal of Fortune
  • 02:30 - Production I.G Industry Panel
  • 03:00 - PLAY ANIME! with BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America, Seven Seas Entertainment Industry Panel
  • 03:30 - Studio TRIGGER panel: PROMARE and New Title Announcement
  • 18:00 - BlockPunk and Studio Mappa announcing a new platform for anime creators, Right Stuf Anime & Nozomi Entertainment, Sailor Moon Anime Official Panel, The Future of Digimon
  • 20:30 - BlockPunk x Studio Mappa x Studio Arch announce the world's first Blockchain Anime Studio
  • 21:00 - SHONEN JUMP Official Panel
  • 22:30 - Crunchyroll Industry Panel, The Good Smile Company Game Show!
  • 23:00 - CloverWorks Industry Panel, Kodansha Comics & Vertical Comics Manga Panel
Sunday 7th July 2019:
  • 00:30 - World Premiere of FUJI TV's hottest series in "+Ultra" block
  • 01:30 - J-Novel Club Industry Panel
  • 03:30 - Frontier Works Industry Panel
  • 04:30 - Maiden Japan's Anime Roundup & Otaku Rodeo, MangaGamer: The Now & Future of Visual Novels (18+)
  • 06:00 - FAKKU Industry Panel and Q&A (18+), What's going on in the industry with Sol Press?! (18+)
  • 18:00 - Denpa Books Industry Panel
  • 21:30 - Global Stories: Netflix Anime
Friday 26th July 2019:
  • 15:15 - GKIDS Industry Panel
  • 16:30 - Dark Horse Industry Panel
  • 17:45 - Sentai Filmworks Industry Panel
  • 20:15 - DENPA Manga Licensing Panel
  • 22:45 - Funimation Industry Panel
Saturday 27th July 2019:
  • 00:45 - MangaGamer Industry Panel
  • 19:30 - Aniplex of America Industry Panel
Sunday 28th July 2019:
  • 17:45 - Discotek Media Industry Panel

Last edited:
Dark Horse Manga:
  • Minetarō Mochizuki's Isle of Dogs (Inugashima) manga
    • Dark Horse's release of the manga will retain the format of the Japanese volume.
    • The format includes hardback binding, 7.5" by 10.5" dimensions, slipcover, and end papers.
  • Eiji Ohtsuka and Hosui Yamazaki's The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service manga
    • The Omnibus editions will resume progress and more will appear if they sell well.
    • Previously, there were only 4 omnibus volumes (covering 1-12 of the single volumes).
    • Omnibus 5 will cover volumes 13-15, due for 20th March 2020.
    • Omnibus 6 will cover volumes 16-18, due for 2020.
    • A fifth omnibus volume that will collect volumes 13, 14, and 15 (published in English for the first time) is slated for March 20. A sixth omnibus volume that will collect volumes 16, 17, and 18 will follow. Dark Horse plans to continue the releases further if the response to the manga is positive.

JAST USA New and Upcoming Titles:
  • Eiyu*Senki GOLD will be localised into English
  • Majikoi! Love Me Seriously! will receive a limited physical release (up to 500 units) - available on Jlist (NSFW)
  • Mamono Musume: Paradise with Slime and Scylla will be localised into English
  • Saya no Uta: The Song of Saya is getting remastered for Steam later this month.
  • Yamizome Revenger will be localised into English
  • JAST also revealed a teaser for a title with more info coming in 2020
Little Witch Academia: VR Project Panel:
  • They are seeking five million yen in funding for release on PlayStation VR, Oculus Rift and Quest, and Steam VR by June 2020.
  • Kickstarter page here.

Last edited:
Official Spike Chunsoft Panel:
  • Conception Plus, coming to the west on PlayStation 4 & PC with a collector's edition planned via NIS America.
  • Robotics;Note Elite, updated visual novel version coming to PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, & PC.
  • Robotics;Note DaSH, sequel to Robotics;Notes & Steins;Gate coming to PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, & PC.

Last edited:
Official Spike Chunsoft Panel:
  • Conception Plus, coming to the west on PlayStation 4 with a collector's edition planned via NIS America.
  • Robotics;Note Elite, updated visual novel version coming to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.
  • Robotics;Note DaSH, sequel to Robotics;Notes & Steins;Gate coming to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.
YESSSSS hopefully the two robotic notes are soon then.

VIZ Media Official Panel:

Books:
  • The Art of Junji Ito: Twisted Visions - Spring 2020
  • Blue Flag - Spring 2020
  • Downfall - Winter 2020
  • Kirby: Art & Style Collection - Spring 2020
  • Love Me, Love Me Not - Spring 2020
  • Prince Freya - Winter 2020, Shojo Beat
  • Transformers: The Manga - Winter 2020
  • The Way of the Househusband - Fall 2019
Anime:
  • Castlevania Season 2 - Fall 2019

Last edited:
Yen Press 2019 Industry Panel:

Light Novel:
  • I'm a "Behemoth", an S-Ranked Monster, but Mistaken for a Cat, I Live as an Elf Girl's Pet - 2020
  • Interspecies Reviewers: Ecstasy Days - 2020
  • Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - 2020
  • The Penetrated Battlefield Should Disappear There: Bullet Witchcraft & Ghost Program - 2020
  • Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina - 2020
Manga:
  • Afterschool Bitchcraft - 2020
  • Breasts Are My Favorite Things in the World! - 2020
  • The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious - 2020
  • I Don’t Know How to Give Birth! - 2020
  • I'm a "Behemoth", an S-Ranked Monster, but Mistaken for a Cat, I Live as an Elf Girl's Pet - 2020
  • I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level - 2020
  • Im: Great Priest Imhotep - 2020
  • RaW Hero - 2020
  • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun - 2020
Yen Press unofficially announced they had Persona5 a la Carte! and Persona5 Mementos Mission but it was later revealed that their licensing plan backfired.

Last edited:
Light Novel:
  • Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - 2020
Manga:
  • Afterschool Bitchcraft - 2020
  • Blue Flag - Spring 2020
  • Downfall - Winter 2020
Thinking about geting these.

Funimation Announcements Panel:
  • Live-action films Kingdom and Tokyo Ghoul S are coming to the US in theaters and eventually for home video.
  • Leaked early, but Fruits Basket (2019) and Tokyo Ghoul:re Part 2 are now available for pre-order earlier than usual.
  • Plunderer has been licensed and will be airing during the Winter 2020 season.
  • Love Live! Sunshine!! The School Idol Movie: Over the Rainbow has been licensed and will be heading to the US in theaters and eventually for home video.
  • Mentioned prior, the second halves of Fairy Gone and Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life will be simulcasted during the Autumn 2019 season.
TBS animation Industry Panel:
  • If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die (Oshi ga Budōkan Ittekuretara Shinu) will be receiving an anime adaptation by studio 8bit scheduled for 2020 with 12 episodes.
  • My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Seasons 1 & 2 will both be dubbed and scheduled for 2019 under Sentai Filmworks.
  • My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Season 3 will bring back studio Feel and is scheduled for 2020.
  • Stars Align (Hoshiai no Sora), an original anime series from studio 8bit, will air this Autumn 2019 season for 12 episodes.
  • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun (Jibaku Shōnen Hanako-kun) will be receiving an anime adaptation by studio Lerche scheduled for 2020 with 12 episodes.
Visual Novels with Sekai Project:
  • The publisher have acquired the following titles for PC release:
    • 9-nine-: Episode 3
    • Alice Escaped!
    • Amatsutsumi
    • The Ditzy Demons Are in Love With Me - Fan Disc
    • Love's Sweet Garnish 2
    • Muv-Luv photonflowers*
    • The Seventh Sign -Mr. Sister-
    • Tobari 2: Dream Ocean
    • Unity Unions
    • Victory Project
  • CLANNAD on Nintendo Switch will be receiving a Limited Run Games release with content matching the PC Kickstarter Collector's Edition set.
Legend: Katsuhiro Otomo New Projects Announcement:
  • Akira manga series will be getting a new anime project with assistance from Sunrise. Details are unknown on what exactly it will be, but it's expected to cover the manga source material which hadn't been adapted prior.
  • Akira will also be receiving an Ultra HD Blu-ray release in Japan next year on 24th April with English dub & subtitles support.
  • Orbital Era is the next theatrical anime film project that he will be directing (his third, behind Akira and Steamboy). Sunrise will also be animating.
Aniplex of America Industry Panel:
  • Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba will be given an English dub and will also be added to Toonami.
  • Fate/Zero and Kill la Kill will be back in print on Blu-ray via the Complete Series BD-BOX sets. Fate/Zero is scheduled for 29th October 2019 at SRP $224.98. Kill la Kill is scheduled for 24th December 2019 at SRP $199.98.
  • Fate/Stay Night [Heaven's Feel] II. Lost Butterfly and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas movies are coming to Blu-ray after they were given theatrical releases. Lost Butterfly is scheduled for 19th November 2019 in Limited & Standard sets, at SRP $79.98 & $49.98 respectively. I Want to Eat Your Pancreas is scheduled for 19th November 2019 at SRP $49.98.
  • Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai is coming to Blu-ray. No English dub. Scheduled for 19th November 2019 at SRP $134.98.

Sentai Filmworks Industry Panel:
  • Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul has been acquired and will be heading to US theaters in early 2020.
  • Food Wars! The Third Plate has been acquired and will be given an English dub.
  • Delinquent Hamsters has been acquired and will be given an English dub.
  • Kase-san and Morning Glories has been acquired and will be given an English dub.

Aksys Games Panel of GLOBAL DOMINATION!:
  • Otome visual novels!
    • Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ is coming to Nintendo Switch this December. The VN was released on Vita first followed by PS4 under Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~ for all territories.
    • Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~ is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020. The VN was released on Vita first followed by PS4 under Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~ for all territories.
    • Collar x Malice is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020. The VN was released on Vita first in all territories followed by Switch in Japan.
    • Collar x Malice: Unlimited is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020. The VN was released on Vita first in Japan followed by Switch in Japan. The Switch version will be the first localisation release of this title.
    • Cafe Enchante (Gensou Kissa Enchanté) is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020 for the west.
    • Piofiore (Piofiore no Banshou) is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020 for the west.
  • NG, the second installment in the Spirit Hunter series, is coming west for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo Switch and PC in October 2019. All retail and digital except for Vita and PC. This is the next installment after Death Mark.

Right Stuf Anime & Nozomi Entertainment:
  • AD Police has been licensed for Blu-ray in 2020
  • El Hazard franchise has been licensed for Blu-ray in 2020. This covers The Magnificent World 1 & 2 and The Alternative World series. The Wanderers (which was already licensed) will also be coming to Blu-ray in 2020.
  • Boogiepop Phantom series is coming to Blu-ray later this year. This has yet to be given a Blu-ray release in Japan.
  • The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV/OVA) is still being worked on for its upcoming Deluxe Blu-ray release.
  • Nozomi catalog are coming to Funimation Now (note: a majority of the license to my knowledge is for US & Canada only)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED franchise is out in 2020, the dubbing process is finished. Both the original Bandai Entertainment dub and new dub will be included in the special edition set.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket is coming to Blu-ray on 1st October.
  • Eleven Arts Limited Edition sets had a holdback period before they could get released in the US, hence why the standard editions were out first.
  • Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has been licensed for a 2020 release.

Last edited:
Thats AD Police 99 i.e the TV series not the OVA. It'll be an upscale on BD as the show was made using alot of digital shots as well as cel animation.

I would guess that the Original El Hazard OVA will get a proper HD release and then I guess they will release the rest Upscaled or something, since Japan have yet to do the rest of the franchise on BD.

Wasn't a fan of him saying that 'This doesn't even have a Blu Ray in Japan!' for titles like Boogiepop etc. I mean all Right Stuf will do is upscale inhouse. Don't get me wrong it takes work but it's not as big of a deal as it sounds.

I assume the Gundam Seed ultimate edition is going to come with DVDs as well for the inclusion of the original dub. Otherwise that announcement makes no sense. There is still a part of me that wants to stick to my guns and not buy Gundam Seed as unlike the majority I hated it, like really hated it lol. But once I eventually have all the other Gundam releases it'll be hard to leave that gap unfilled.

Happy that 0080 is finally getting the Blu Ray release, hopefully After War will follow next year as well.

Nice to see Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei resurface after the previous failed attempt to get the show out by Media Blasters.

Last edited:
Back