Anime Central to be taken off the air!

RetroRainbow said:
I thought one thing which they did, air an episode each night, was both good, and bad.

For example; Fullmetal Alchemist. They could have spread that out over half a year if they played an episode twice a week, instead of it airing every night. Not that I was complaining, but say if someone missed an episode or two? Not knowing anything about looking on the net for it, they'd be lost, and would lose interest.
To be able to do that, they would need an awful lot of series.... or else they would simply repeat the same episode several times during that particular week.

The UK showing of anime has always been luke warm. I gave up on the whole affair. It is shocking that thousand of potential viewers who would love atleast to have a dedicated anime channel and I don't mean adding Transformer, Power Puff Girls or Samarui Jack (which I like) are being denied. Are we supposed to make do half hearted fail attempts? I think not. I mean how many times can one watch Cowboy Bebop.
I am quite disgusted with it.

This dedicated channel could have a children's, families and adult's (I'm not thinking fanservice) slot to address everyone's taste.
Hell even animes like Spirited Away and the likes helped to change some of the miscomception or people's view on anime for the better. Old classics like Lupin the Third, Project A-Ko would be great. A trip down memory lane in bliss. So many loss classics out there.

One of the few times I was truly grateful for anime coming on TV was on Channel 4. Seriously 3X3 Eyes, Street Fighter, Ghost in Shell. They kept it short and sweet, but it was better than nothing back then with just four 4 terrestial channels. That was when TV was good!!!

I reckon we shoud have atleast two dedicated channels on anime, Japanese culture and related by now going at this slow paced rate.
There is no excuse, reason or explanation I will accept. Partial anime channel? Below me! How long should this really take?

*end of rant* Evil or Very Mad

Sorry if I repeated the obvious, but seriously something needs to be done right and properly

Daymon Black said:
One of the few times I was truly grateful for anime coming on TV was on Channel 4. Seriously 3X3 Eyes, Street Fighter, Ghost in Shell. They kept it short and sweet, but it was better than nothing back then with just four 4 terrestial channels. That was when TV was good!!!

Unfortunately the younger 'fans' weren't around then. All they've known is instantly available, free download, watch when you like fansubs. Long gone are the days of dub only VHS or REALLY poor quality fansub VHS.

So long as anime is seen as a fashion accessory where you must watch the latest ep as soon as it comes out in Japan then an anime TV channel can never compete. They have to comply with copyright regs :)

Bleach was the big puller for AC at the start but as Viz were still dubbing it resulting in a break the viewers just went off and downloaded it. Even if AC had shown the rest of the available Bleach dubs I doubt the veiwers would have come back.

You're dealing with a niche market with very picky and vocal 'fans' and no matter what you do with a channel you won't please enough people enough of the time to pay for it.... And its a shame.

And some people just don't seem to want anime on TV at all and just moan about EVERYTHING ;)

Project-2501 said:
And some people just don't seem to want anime on TV at all and just moan about EVERYTHING ;)
And others remember when they could sit down at 5pm and watch Nadeisco on SciFi without narry a care in the world.

Part of the trouble is that i dont think an anime channel would work as a UK only deal, it would have to be international to pull series as fast as they can dub them.

I think a ch4 slot at say 7 and one at 9 or 10 would be ideal allowing for a weekly Shōnen/Shōjo and Seinen/Josei series.

Look at the simpsons, if done correctly an anime series could be as successful as that.

The real problem is that there is not enough material to fill the schedules for a permanent anime channel. Certainly not at an affordable price, at least. It would invariably end up like Anime Central with a core of a dozen or so shows filling up 8 or so hours meaning that what originally aired in weekly installments gets shown daily and the content is burnt through in no time.

A much better proposition is the route that TAN UK went, with a weekly slot on another channel. That same dozen shows would last more than half a year (depending upon series length) with a weekly two hour slot.

The real problem in all cases is getting the advertising (or other revenue streams) to make the whole project economically viable. Ultimately any channel, like every other business, is out there to make money and if it doesn't it gets cut loose.

Hokum said:
Look at the simpsons, if done correctly an anime series could be as successful as that.
Not really viable. The Simpsons came from a media company that had already established itself in the Western TV market (Fox, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also happens to own Sky), which gave them a foot in the door even before it began production. There is also not such a great cultural barrier to cross with The Simpsons as there exists for a lot of anime. Add to that the amount of investment in anime as compared to any US TV show and it becomes clear that it really cannot match an average US TV show.

Conan-san said:
Project-2501 said:
And others remember when they could sit down at 5pm and watch Nadeisco on SciFi without narry a care in the world.

god i miss anime on sci-fi. that was such a great channel back in the day.

only 1 way to describe the fate of anime on UKTV

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,

Let it be, let it be, .....

Project-2501 said:
Daymon Black said:

Unfortunately the younger 'fans' weren't around then. All they've known is instantly available, free download, watch when you like fansubs. Long gone are the days of dub only VHS or REALLY poor quality fansub VHS.

So long as anime is seen as a fashion accessory where you must watch the latest ep as soon as it comes out in Japan then an anime TV channel can never compete. They have to comply with copyright regs :)

Bleach was the big puller for AC at the start but as Viz were still dubbing it resulting in a break the viewers just went off and downloaded it. Even if AC had shown the rest of the available Bleach dubs I doubt the veiwers would have come back.

You're dealing with a niche market with very picky and vocal 'fans' and no matter what you do with a channel you won't please enough people enough of the time to pay for it.... And its a shame.

Oh Come on. It's not all the fans fault. It doesn't help when the channel starts out great guns then lets it free wheel to a dead stop without support, or advertising the channel to the outside world. I still have people who see me on AC's web site and say "When did we get an anime channel? I like that stuff, but didn't know it existed as a channel." It's very disapointing when I tell them that it's coming off air. Like pulling the string on a spinning top, but without intending to keep it going. If they had no intention of carring on with new titles after their initial start ups then they really shouldn't have started at all. But they obviously know what's best for their business, and don't need to listen to their viewers suggestions. At least we won't have to listen to the pathetic and rediculous promos before each repeat of CB and SAC. :roll:

Here's the thing, there are a million and one shows that could be that show, that magical show that lifts the veil.

Naruto could of been perfect, and, looking back, I could see what Jetix was aiming for by having it chopped up into the incoherent mess they made it. The problem is, no one is watching Jetix at 8pm at night. Sad fact of life.
When you make an edit of a show, it's a good idea to show it at a time that would warrant such fun with the cutting knife, but what do I know? Power rangers for life whoop whoop whoop (Except for airing Time Force, we cool on that).
The same went for Viewtiful Joe, Bo^7, Escaflowne (remember that, kids?) the list could go on for some time.

One Piece seemed to be doing some good for Toonami inspite of it all slowly going to hell for them in other departments. Now that a more acurate version (That still has it's cravats in editing, mostly as a legacy to the wrath of Khan).
I am utterly surprised someone hasn't taken One Piece, flagged up a big wavy advert saying "hey, liked one piece back when Cartoon Networked liked you? Now we have it and it's so extreme no amount of booming voice modulation can portray how more extreme it is". But no, anything beyond Alabaster is as lost as Digimon seasons 4 and 5.

Pokemon just seems to be ether early expanded terestrial morning fodder or punted between the Kids TV Kabul so yeah on that one.

Digimon is the oft. abandoned red haired child of Jetix (and CITV, cripes, one episode, dood, how **** do you have to be to abandon Tamers one episode in?) so can't expect much there.

In short, companies need to get that one show and do it right. I can't say how but that's what needs happening.

Back