Anime Central looking for UK cosplayers for TV show

Ice Climber said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Look, Guys and Gals. Don't be insulting Cosplayers, and focus on whats the real problem.

If you paid attention to what I said back in the first page, JAPAN HAVE A BETTER DIETARY THAN US.

Lets face it, BRITAIN AND AMERICA ARE FULL OF OBESE PIGS WHO EATS CHICKEN & CHIPS/FISH & CHIPS/SOME OTHER CRAP.

Now, This is the main problem of western cosplayers, end of discussion. Bye.

That's just ******** and completely irrelivent.

No, it is true... Why do you think most of our western cosplayer are nothing more than fat women dressing up as Aerith...

CitizenGeek said:
What about some "new" fan who's discovered the channel, spends some time enjoying Bleach and Escaflowne and then gets scared away by a program about cosplay?
If they're really interested they'll stick around, cosplayers or not. Seriously, if they get scared away by some decent cosplay, it's probably better for them to get out sooner rather than later... before they find out some really scary things about anime communities...

CitizenGeek said:
They will think that anime is not to be taken seriously when they see ridiculous cosplay on TV, and I can't blame them.
Wait, I have to take anime seriously now? I just wanted to watch cartoons...

CitizenGeek said:
What about if I want to convince my friends that anime is worthwhile, and is mature entertainment and I point them in the direction of Anime Central and they see cosplay?
If you're that worried about it, lend them some DVDs.

Hmm, guys, from what Andrew from Beez just posted, it's not going to be a massive thing, just a little spotlight on cosplay in the UK... and, like it or not it is a noticeable part of the community.

From what I can tell, the cosplays are just gonna be used as bumpers either said of the adverts. Sorta like the random people dressed up on Anime Network and the stuff like that :)

Ramadahl said:
CitizenGeek said:
They will think that anime is not to be taken seriously when they see ridiculous cosplay on TV, and I can't blame them.
Wait, I have to take anime seriously now? I just wanted to watch cartoons...
QFT. Anime is entertainment and as such is not meant to be taken seriously. Each person can take out of it what they will and it is wrong-minded to say that something is bad simply because you (or someone else) doesn't like it. The converse side to the argument that anime should be taken seriously is that this is as likely to put people off and showing the fun side is more likely to persuade those people. Most people don't want to try too hard for their entertainment and treating it "seriously" will make it look too much of an effort.

For reference how many people do you actually think have been put off the likes of Star Trek or Star Wars because a select group of fans decide to take the whole thing to another level with costumes and such? I don't think many have been but this kind of behaviour has been shown in the public domain for a far sight longer than anime cosplay has. I don't cosplay myself but I respect the people who do for having the commitment to make and the wherewithal to wear these costumes. I accept that some people want to show their fandom in this way and think that attempting to brush it under the carpet would be of benefit to no-one.

Gawyn said:
Anime is entertainment and as such is not meant to be taken seriously. Each person can take out of it what they will and it is wrong-minded to say that something is bad simply because you (or someone else) doesn't like it. The converse side to the argument that anime should be taken seriously is that this is as likely to put people off and showing the fun side is more likely to persuade those people. Most people don't want to try too hard for their entertainment and treating it "seriously" will make it look too much of an effort.

Taking anime seriously, and enjoying anime for the fun of it are one in the same. If you don't take anime seriously, and brush it off as a nerd past time because you've seen some of dismal cosplay the UK has to offer, then you're not going to be able enjoy it on any level.

For reference how many people do you actually think have been put off the likes of Star Trek or Star Wars because a select group of fans decide to take the whole thing to another level with costumes and such?

I would say that many people have been put off Star Trek this way. Star Wars is too mainstream to be affected by it.

I accept that some people want to show their fandom in this way and think that attempting to brush it under the carpet would be of benefit to no-one.

It's not hiding it. Most anime fans do not cosplay, more than enough dislike it. It's completely unnecessary and there are so many better things that could be done in that time slot, regardless of whether it's 10 minutes or 10 seconds.

McIcy said:
Just one thing but is everyone forgetting Cosplayers are anime fans too we watch the channel we watch the anime so how about some else in there for us? whether its 10 minutes or 30 minutes it'd just be nice to see what other cosplayers are up to

Exactly. You know the only cosplay hate I've found has been on forums from people with massive social problems (and one idiot at the FF XII thing at HMV Oxford Street).

Otaku-san said:
Well it can be easily divided into two groups:

For the people interested in wanting to know what cosplay is, watch it.

For people that are not interested in what cosplay is, DON'T watch it.

pretty simple realy

QFT.

Chrono Mizaki said:
Ice Climber said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
Look, Guys and Gals. Don't be insulting Cosplayers, and focus on whats the real problem.

If you paid attention to what I said back in the first page, JAPAN HAVE A BETTER DIETARY THAN US.

Lets face it, BRITAIN AND AMERICA ARE FULL OF OBESE PIGS WHO EATS CHICKEN & CHIPS/FISH & CHIPS/SOME OTHER CRAP.

Now, This is the main problem of western cosplayers, end of discussion. Bye.

That's just ******** and completely irrelivent.

No, it is true... Why do you think most of our western cosplayer are nothing more than fat women dressing up as Aerith...

Never met the numbers you are suggesting. Seriously, go cold turkey on 4chan, your life (whatever's left of it) will be much better for it.

The most important thing about cosplay is the costume and a fan's devotion to the character. It's got nothing to do with body shape. And not all cosplayers are fat... that's such a stupid statement.
I went to london expo, there were lots of really good cosplayers. While, yes, some of them were fat and some had clearly made no effort and just bought one online, most of them had made their own costumes and were not obese in anyway... i mean, did you see the Sakura one (Tsubasa Chronicles) ? She was so skinny and her costume was amazing! I can't remember what the one walking around with her looked like, but her costume was great too! Those two would've been worthy of tv. The Sailor Moon and ... the one with the top hat.. (I haven't watched Sailor Moon) were awesome, the Ed pair walking around were as well and that's only a few of the amazing cosplayers. There are some really good cosplayers out there. Don't just assume they're all obese and dressed as Naruto characters.
I'm going to Amecon and i'm cosplaying each day and the ball. I started my costumes last month and me and my friend are working really hard. I wouldn't consider either of us as obese. We're like size 10.
Besides, who cares if non-anime fans think that all anime fans cosplay. Why should that stop people cosplaying on TV? Most non-anime fans think that anyway. Why not show them how amazing the costumes can be instead.

Gemma1412 said:
The most important thing about cosplay is the costume and a fan's devotion to the character. It's got nothing to do with body shape. And not all cosplayers are fat... that's such a stupid statement.
I went to london expo, there were lots of really good cosplayers. While, yes, some of them were fat and some had clearly made no effort and just bought one online, most of them had made their own costumes and were not obese in anyway... i mean, did you see the Sakura one (Tsubasa Chronicles) ? She was so skinny and her costume was amazing! I can't remember what the one walking around with her looked like, but her costume was great too! Those two would've been worthy of tv. The Sailor Moon and ... the one with the top hat.. (I haven't watched Sailor Moon) were awesome, the Ed pair walking around were as well and that's only a few of the amazing cosplayers. There are some really good cosplayers out there. Don't just assume they're all obese and dressed as Naruto characters.
I'm going to Amecon and i'm cosplaying each day and the ball. I started my costumes last month and me and my friend are working really hard. I wouldn't consider either of us as obese. We're like size 10.
Besides, who cares if non-anime fans think that all anime fans cosplay. Why should that stop people cosplaying on TV? Most non-anime fans think that anyway. Why not show them how amazing the costumes can be instead.

QFT.

does it even matter if people are fat?

it's expressing your soul, not your body. Honestly people who moan about peoples weight in cosplaying should spend more time trying to cancel Halloween XD

Weight really doesn't matter, :p. But typically you should pick someone whom looks more like your body shape, It would be better for the cosplay as a whole.

People should use their body shapes as a advantage. :D

Jayme said:
Weight really doesn't matter, :p. But typically you should pick someone whom looks more like your body shape, It would be better for the cosplay as a whole.

People should use their body shapes as a advantage. :D

Majin Buu it is then xD

i love cosplaying, but i wouldnt do it on TV, plus im a year to young anyway.
but i find that cosplaying makes me happy because its being a diffrent person for the day. thats why i try to get to conventions as much as i can.
people have their opinion that its weird or sexual (revealing outfits i mean). but its just expressing you personality and what you like.

Back