Anime Central looking for UK cosplayers for TV show

I'm not a cosplayer and would never do it myself, but from the people I saw at the Expo dressing up I've got to say are some really nice and enthusiastic peeps out there. Might help make the atmosphere more fun. :)

Gawyn said:
This sounds very much like content for a broader show rather than the sum total of the content as some seem to be thinking. I personally do not see an issue with Anime Central portraying this on the screen and can only see it as a positive thing. I also cannot agree with the many disparaging comments about UK cosplayers; many are only willing to see/remember the extremes but there are many good cosplayers in the UK. Finally don't knock until it you have seen what they have actually produced. It could very easily be much better than you expect (but with this amount of pessimism it would be fairly hard not to be :p)

i'm not knocking cosplaying in the UK as such. I'm in the opinion that people here treat it more like halloween where as the Japanese as a nation love getting dressed up and are actually good at what they do.

About 95% of the cosplayers i've seen in the UK are sub par. It's that 5% they should want to show on screen. You can say "well atleast they made an effort" but effort alone gets you no where, you need talent. And i'm sorry but buying your costume on ebay or finding the materials at B&Q is not talent.

You'll end up getting to the stage where new fans start thinking "Do i have to dress up like that?"

Japan is THE country for dressing up in a majestic and fanstic way, we can try and imitate it but it'll never come close. Want proof? look at how they dress up for halloween;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/world/video/129000/bb/129657_16x9_bb.asx?ad=1&ct=50

Watch that video, look at how many amazing costumes there are and then tell me when the last time you seen someone here do that.

Nyu said:
Gawyn said:
This sounds very much like content for a broader show rather than the sum total of the content as some seem to be thinking. I personally do not see an issue with Anime Central portraying this on the screen and can only see it as a positive thing. I also cannot agree with the many disparaging comments about UK cosplayers; many are only willing to see/remember the extremes but there are many good cosplayers in the UK. Finally don't knock until it you have seen what they have actually produced. It could very easily be much better than you expect (but with this amount of pessimism it would be fairly hard not to be :p)

i'm not knocking cosplaying in the UK as such. I'm in the opinion that people here treat it more like halloween where as the Japanese as a nation love getting dressed up and are actually good at what they do.

About 95% of the cosplayers i've seen in the UK are sub par. It's that 5% they should want to show on screen. You can say "well atleast they made an effort" but effort alone gets you no where, you need talent. And i'm sorry but buying your costume on ebay or finding the materials at B&Q is not talent.

You'll end up getting to the stage where new fans start thinking "Do i have to dress up like that?"

Japan is THE country for dressing up in a majestic and fanstic way, we can try and imitate it but it'll never come close. Want proof? look at how they dress up for halloween;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/world/video/129000/bb/129657_16x9_bb.asx?ad=1&ct=50

Watch that video, look at how many amazing costumes there are and then tell me when the last time you seen someone here do that.

'95% of UK cosplayers suck', huh? With a statement like that you are knocking them. Actually I've seen quite a few.

No, i'm not knocking thier choice to cosplay, they are free to do what ever they want. What i am disagreeing with is the disiliusion that the majority of cosplayers look good. When, in fact, they dont.

Nyu said:
No, i'm not knocking thier choice to cosplay, they are free to do what ever they want. What i am disagreeing with is the disiliusion that the majority of cosplayers look good. When, in fact, they dont.

Yes you are. Also, what exactly do you know?

Ice Climber said:
Nyu said:

"Yes you are" sorry what? what kind of retort is this? If im correct, your saying that i'm "knocking" cosplayers choice to dress up, when clearly i'm not. If someone dresses up as L from Death Note it makes absolutley no difference to me, i simply do not care.

What do i know? well not alot really. I'm not the World Cosplaying Body, nor am i the be all and end all of cosplaying judges. i'm an impartial bloke who is presenting my opinion that the majority[/] of UK cosplayers, when compared to thier Japanese counterparts, are complete and utter guff.

I've provided evidence to back up my arguments and i could just fall into the president of posting "Yeah whatever :roll:" but i wont. There is no doubt in my mind that there are some quality UK cosplayers out there and i hope Anime Central bring thier talents into the limelight.

I support Ice Climber on this one, I'd like to know where it says "OH, AND BY THE WAY, DID WE MENTION ALL THESE COSPLAYERS SLAVED AWAY TO MAKE THEIR OWN COSTUMES!?"

Paul said:
Though it's natural to try and hide the more bizarre sides of something, it's actually those eccentricities that people love the most.

It's not like we are trying to "hide" anything - the majority of anime fans do not cosplay. And I wouldn't be so sure that cosplay, especially cosplay from the UK, will convince people that anime is in. Anime Central should aspire to be a classy channel, and it's doing a fairly okay job at that, but as soon as they start introducing cheesy presenters and tacky cosplay, any chance of getting such a reputation just fades away.

CitizenGeek said:
Paul said:
Though it's natural to try and hide the more bizarre sides of something, it's actually those eccentricities that people love the most.

It's not like we are trying to "hide" anything - the majority of anime fans do not cosplay. And I wouldn't be so sure that cosplay, especially cosplay from the UK, will convince people that anime is in. Anime Central should aspire to be a classy channel, and it's doing a fairly okay job at that, but as soon as they start introducing cheesy presenters and tacky cosplay, any chance of getting such a reputation just fades away.

Right...

What exactly is tacky about it?

Nyu said:
Ice Climber said:
Nyu said:

"Yes you are" sorry what? what kind of retort is this? If im correct, your saying that i'm "knocking" cosplayers choice to dress up, when clearly i'm not. If someone dresses up as L from Death Note it makes absolutley no difference to me, i simply do not care.

What do i know? well not alot really. I'm not the World Cosplaying Body, nor am i the be all and end all of cosplaying judges. i'm an impartial bloke who is presenting my opinion that the majority[/] of UK cosplayers, when compared to thier Japanese counterparts, are complete and utter guff.

I've provided evidence to back up my arguments and i could just fall into the president of posting "Yeah whatever :roll:" but i wont. There is no doubt in my mind that there are some quality UK cosplayers out there and i hope Anime Central bring thier talents into the limelight.

The problem is your evidence is really no evidence at all. A video on the net will (most likely) contain the best of Japanese cosplay but the story might easily be quite different if you actually attended events in Japan so using such evidence is really quite meaningless. The majority of anything published will naturally be the best examples of what you are showing unless you are actively attempting to mock it. You are unfairly comparing all UK cosplayers with a very small subset of Japanese cosplayers.

A majority of UK cosplayers don't look good.

The Japanese version of a good looking man is long hair,feminine looks and perfect skin white skin.
Western men,in general there exactly the opposite.
Women are long straight hair medium tit size and thin.
western women in general aren't.
This is why dressing up as yuna when your 6 st over weight is not a good idea,cosplaying as vegeta and your 8st over weight it doesn't look good.
When your black male and 10 st over weight cosplaying as sailor moon...you see were i'm going?it's not a good idea.
Now if at these audition a bunch of over weight people turn up it will be a joke.
But take mcicy cosplay as bass from doa he's a big guy and lets be honest McIcy ain't a stick(no offence :p)so he looked good.

XnickX said:
A majority of UK cosplayers don't look good.

The Japanese version of a good looking man is long hair,feminine looks and perfect skin white skin.
Western men,in general there exactly the opposite.
Women are long straight hair medium tit size and thin.
western women in general aren't.
This is why dressing up as yuna when your 6 st over weight is not a good idea,cosplaying as vegeta and your 8st over weight it doesn't look good.
When your black male and 10 st over weight cosplaying as sailor moon...you see were i'm going?it's not a good idea.
Now if at these audition a bunch of over weight people turn up it will be a joke.
But take mcicy cosplay as bass from doa he's a big guy and lets be honest McIcy ain't a stick(no offence :p)so he looked good.

WTF are you talking about? The majority of Western cosplayers are not like that.

You're an idot that needs to actually look at real cosplayer pics and not 4chan.

Ice Climber said:
Lupus Inu said:
Oh, btw, apart from supporting cosplays in this instance it's still quite possibly the worst thing in anime fandom.

What do you mean?

Naw, Yaoi pairings is ONE of the worst, I mean cosplaying is bad if it can't be pulled off right [I'm not biased towards the Japanese or English/American cosplayers] but honestly, I've seen a lot of awesome cosplays... and a lot of ****** ones which basically degrade anime fans and my instant reaction is a facepalm.

Lupus Inu said:
Ice Climber said:
Lupus Inu said:
Oh, btw, apart from supporting cosplays in this instance it's still quite possibly the worst thing in anime fandom.

What do you mean?

Naw, Yaoi pairings is ONE of the worst, I mean cosplaying is bad if it can't be pulled off right [I'm not biased towards the Japanese or English/American cosplayers] but honestly, I've seen a lot of awesome cosplays... and a lot of ****** ones which basically degrade anime fans and my instant reaction is a facepalm.

How exactly does it degrade anyone but the bad cosplayer?

Because anyone who isn't an anime fan who is aware about anime will think "Typical animu fan" and is seen as some sort of stereotype.

Because anyone who isn't an anime fan who is aware about anime will think "Typical animu fan" and is seen as some sort of stereotype.

Right... :roll:

fullmetalrose said:
I think the important thing to remember about cosplay is the ‘fun’ factor. One does not have to join in or watch it after all.

Shame it seems to be lost on most people here.

Back