Air and Kanon coming to UK?

CitizenGeek said:
Ramadahl said:
As such, I have specially prepared a non-sequitur riposte - you, sir, are a big silly :wink: .

I am beaten! :p

Meh, it's just my opinion.
And that was just mine :wink: .
But seriously, as you didn't give any reasons, there wasn't anything to give discussion on ^^

However, I guess that -
CitizenGeek said:
But it's moe!

So I hope it doesn't do well, and I hope UK consumers send a message to ADV that moe is mindless
- counts as some sort of reason, so I'll respond to it.

Firstly, while both Air and Kanon have characters exhibiting serveral generally-considered moe traits, I'm not sure you can just write off the whole series as a "moe series" than you can write off, say Love Hina as a "tsundere series" because of Naru & Co. A series is more than just it's characters, whether they can be pigeonholed into specified types or not. I'd say that Air is a fantasy/drama series, Kanon the same but with a definite romamce element. Since I'd think that most of us here know what's meant by a moe series I guess it's fine to use it, but it's something to bear in mind.

As to it being "mindless" - while portraying a moe character or presenting a drama is purposely done to give an emotional response, it doesn't necessarily follow that the series will be mindless. The individual stories in Air and Kanon may not be wildly imaginative, but they're solid and presented well. In addition, part of the reason I like the KyoAni/Key adaptations I've seen so much is the quality of the writing. It really fleshes-out the characters, allows for some good laughs, and lets dramatic moments not appear too awkward (drama is inherently awkward, but relies on you being too emotionally involved to notice :p).

Fudce said:
Except the fact that the official english title is "Kanon", as shown by ADV Films releasing it under that name. Regardless of how the name was developed, Canon is a mispelling.
Er, yeah. I just meant that I thought the misspellings are because in musical terms kanon would be translated to canon in english. But as we're talking about a series rather than a musical term, Kanon remains as Kanon. Sorry for any confusion.

I've seen afew episodes of Air in the past and I enjoyed it, also planning to buy the Region 1 version but seeing as it's coming to UK i'm going to wait.

i'm surprised people even bother arguing with CG anymore when it comes to moe talk, we all know his stance on it and that it's not going to change so why bother?, to each their own

as for Kanon getting a uk release, maybe i'll hold off buying region 1 for this one, then again after the latest ADV betrails, i may just go alternative routes just to say a general "screw you" at them ^^

PS. not a shot at u at all CG, just the silly arguements that everyone keeps bringing up when a moe series is mentioned

I might pick up a volume of AIR from ADV UK, just to see if there's a difference between the disgusting amount of aliasing around the lines of the characters, more than I've seen a lot of other releases.

melonpan said:
So it's your opinion that you want to see the UK industry take a big blow?

Er, what? When did I say, or even imply that?

I know moe fans (like yourself) would like to think that moe is so important, that the failure to get 2 of the most high profile moe series released here would constitute a "big blow", but I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't see it that way.

I didn't think these kinds of shows did that well in the UK. US fandom's a little different in its anime tastes but if ADV are willing to give it a go then all power to them. (even though they've admitted in the past the kinds of shows that don't perform too strongly)

I'll keep an eye out for them, but I'm not sure they'd be my cup of tea...

1st off, Moe is to me like action, mecha and ecchi is to any fan: another genre. Personally, I don't see what the fuss is about... Whether people have developed a warped lolita complex or they thing it brings girls/young women a weak image really doesn't cross my mind while watching it.
Just keep the 'noise' down guys, ok? ;)

Anyways, seeing the 1st couple of volumes of Air, I found some of the attitudes comical and the story a different flavour to what I've been watching/reading recently. So I'll probably enjoy it.
As for Kanon (or however it's spelt) I don't mind giving it a try... if it comes through our postbox.

CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
So it's your opinion that you want to see the UK industry take a big blow?

Er, what? When did I say, or even imply that?

I know moe fans (like yourself) would like to think that moe is so important, that the failure to get 2 of the most high profile moe series released here would constitute a "big blow", but I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't see it that way.

Not trying to start an argument, but if we're going by pricing to license, put through BBFC, advertise and release, them not performing well would cost ADV a lot of money, which would be a blow because they'd not be able to license as many other new series.

I hope they come over cause I enjoy them, but if they don't, I know I can just import

I watched the R1 DVD volume 1 of Kanon last night and even though bugger all happend in the episodes on the disc it is still strangely watchable.

Id like to see them over here. I love AIR and KANON. They should release the other 2 seasons though - ONE (Spring) and CLANNAD (Autumn).

cercia said:
Id like to see them over here. I love AIR and KANON. They should release the other 2 seasons though - ONE (Spring) and CLANNAD (Autumn).
Huh, I thought One and Clannad were the other way around... anyway, since they're releasing Air and Kanon I imagine they'll release Clannad in due course (i.e. a couple years, since it's still airing at the moment). As to One... they've made 2 OVA adaptations, (one H, the other non-H, iirc), and general opinion seems to be that they both suck horribly.

Back