Air and Kanon coming to UK?

Fudce

Great Teacher
It's been posted on the Anime on DVD forums, that ADV Films Germany has mentioned that even though they have no plans to release Air and Kanon, ADV UK is planning to release both series.

If true, it would mark a welcome departure from the norm from ADV.

Interesting :| I'm not sure what to think. It would be nice to see some more of this genre on UK shelves as its just not somthing we have much of. But at the same time I just hope nobody watches these as they're first anime's as they'll be put off :S

Oh wow!
I was worried that they might not get released here, being series with limited appeal and all (as I see things, anyway), but I held off importing the US releases on the hope they might. Looks like that may have paid off (although, not paid off in the sense of saving me money, of course -.-).
I'll definitely be buying them if/when they come out here.
Don't know how many other people will though... but I strongly recommend them if fantasy-drama is your sorta thing. That said, I didn't know it was my sorta thing until I watched them ^^;

EDIT: -
Sakimori said:
I just hope nobody watches these as they're first anime's as they'll be put off :S
Not if they like them :p

I've already got the first DVD of Kanon on the way from the US when its released this month, but it would be great to see both released here in the UK. Air for one i am yet to see and wouldn't mind doing so. Just curious, but why do people keep mispelling Kanon? Cause i don't know where its other spellings come from.

I sure hope Air and Kannon don't come over here, because ADV should do something worthwhile with their resources.

If they do come over, I sincerely hope they flop spectacularly :]

CitizenGeek said:
I sure hope Air and Kannon don't come over here, because ADV should do something worthwhile with their resources.

No offense, but if you don't like the fact they are possibly on the way here, then just leave it, just because you don't like them doesn't mean noone else will. Kanon for one is successful, so i would say its most definitely worthwhile. I can't say for Air as i say, i haven't looked into it much.

Arbalest said:
No offense, but if you don't like the fact they are possibly on the way here, then just leave it, just because you don't like them doesn't mean noone else will. Kanon for one is successful, so i would say its most definitely worthwhile. I can't say for Air as i say, i haven't looked into it much.

How do you know Kannon was successful? I think the first volume was only recently released in the US ..... ?

Chrono Kitty said:
*Gets popcorn ready, and watches CG making a fool of himself*

This is going to get good =D

Might I suggest you post worthwhile comments for a change; I know it's not in your nature to do so at all, but at least try?

CitizenGeek said:
Arbalest said:

How do you know Kannon was successful? I think the first volume was only recently released in the US ..... ?

I mean Japan for the time being, of course i don't know if its successful in the US yet, but i see it doing better than you would give it credit for.

CitizenGeek said:

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it isn't worthwhile. In fact, releasing a type of anime we don't usually get over here is more worthwhile then releasing the same type that we always get. (usually involving giant robots, or limbs flying in every direction)

CitizenGeek said:
Chrono Kitty said:
*Gets popcorn ready, and watches CG making a fool of himself*

This is going to get good =D

Might I suggest you post worthwhile comments for a change; I know it's not in your nature to do so at all, but at least try?

Yours wasn't really worthwhile as well.

I mean, have you exactly watch these anime series yourself. You can't go around, throwing your opinion unless you actually watched them.

Arbalest said:
Just curious, but why do people keep mispelling Kanon? Cause i don't know where its other spellings come from.
Cannon is a homonym, and canon is the correct english spelling of kanon (which is german, I think) when referring to the musical term from which the series takes it's name.

CitizenGeek said:

OH U.
I was wondering how long it'd be til you showed up with something like this :p
As such, I have specially prepared a non-sequitur riposte - you, sir, are a big silly :wink: .

Arbalest said:
I mean Japan for the time being, of course i don't know if its successful in the US yet, but i see it doing better than you would give it credit for.

I hope not. We don't need series like that, while stuff like Claymore and Ghost Hound are in licensing limbo.

Fudce said:
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it isn't worthwhile. In fact, releasing a type of anime we don't usually get over here is more worthwhile then releasing the same type that we always get. (usually involving giant robots, or limbs flying in every direction)

But it's moe!

So I hope it doesn't do well, and I hope UK consumers send a message to ADV that moe is mindless, don't bring more over here at the expense of other series.

But yeah, it's probably good news to moe fans .....

Ramadahl said:
As such, I have specially prepared a non-sequitur riposte - you, sir, are a big silly :wink: .

I am beaten! :p

Meh, it's just my opinion.

Ramadahl said:
Arbalest said:
Just curious, but why do people keep mispelling Kanon? Cause i don't know where its other spellings come from.
Cannon is a homonym, and canon is the correct english spelling of kanon (which is german, I think) when referring to the musical term from which the series takes it's name.
Except the fact that the official english title is "Kanon", as shown by ADV Films releasing it under that name. Regardless of how the name was developed, Canon is a mispelling.

CitizenGeek said:
Fudce said:

But it's moe!

So I hope it doesn't do well, and I hope UK consumers send a message to ADV that moe is mindless, don't bring more over here at the expense of other series.

But yeah, it's probably good news to moe fans .....

To me, the draw of Kanon isn't the feeling of moe that some of the characters induce in some people. Yes, the characters are a big part of why I like it, but for me it's the mystery, the beauty, and the touching tales of the characters.

I'm really beginning to get annoyed with some fans just pointing fingers at anime with pretty girls in them, and screaming "MOE!", be they supposed fans of it, or people who dislike it. Not every character instills the same feelings of moe in every viewer. Moe isn't a character type, and even if it was, being cute and saying a cute phrase wouldn't automatically make that character moe.

CitizenGeek said:
But it's moe!

So I hope it doesn't do well, and I hope UK consumers send a message to ADV that moe is mindless, don't bring more over here at the expense of other series..
Have you actually looked at ADV's catalog, They have A LOT of purely fanservice titles, And these so-called moe titles are a lot better than most of them. Also, I agree while it can be called "moe", That doesn't change the fact that its a good show and such. "Moe" just means cute characters, And heck, You could chuck pretty much every character into their; Faye, ASUKA, REI!!!. < Notice Evangelion characters.

The term really doesn't mean anything like people wanting to love the characters and all that, because it just doesn't. I suppose the meaning can vary from where you get your sources though.

Lastly, I got permission to write this post from the IRC users. BLAME THEM!

Anyhow, David. I'm happy that your gradually learning, Before you hated the sight of Lucky Star and Haruhi. Haha. Its only a matter of time till you understand these are also good KyoAni shows.

Back