Afro Samurai coming to Bravo in May

Ramen89 said:
Afro Samurai said:
And GONZO is American? oh wait... what's that I hear you say?

Erm, did I say GONZO was american?

And what you hear me saying is "I cant be ****** with this thread anymore".

Laters.

It's these sort of statement which isolate the anime community, Afro Samurai brought anime to the main stage in the US. Thrashing adult swim comedy (which scores far higher than the anime) and Sci Fi Ani-monday block with ease, wether you like it or not it introduced more people to anime.

Spike TV beat Japanese TV companies to Afro Samurai, I wish the BBC or ITV had the balls to order an anime series and who know's if Afro Samurai does better maybe they will.

Is the Witchblade anime not anime becuase it's based on American comic? So why is it different for Afro Samurai?

Afro Samurai is an Anime... Japanese people accept it as an Anime, the majority of the world considers it an Anime... those who don't are plain arrogant!

So... anyway, going back to topic. Afro Samurai WILL be repeated sometime in early November. There are no exact dates yet but I'll let everyone know.

I believe there was interest in Afro Samurai by numerous Japanese broadcasters and adult swim before Spike TV won the license. It's a great show and it does an excellent job in introdubcing newcomers to anime.

Afro Samurai said:
Afro Samurai is an Anime... Japanese people accept it as an Anime...
Just to play devil's advocate on that one, the definition of anime in the west and Japan are quite different. In Japan all animation is anime since it means precisely that and to that end Mickey Mouse or Wallace and Grommit are also anime to Japanese. In the west it has been borrowed to mean that subset of animation that originates in Japan. That is not to say that Afro Samurai is not anime (by western terms) because it clearly is but does point out a flaw in that particular argument...

The labelling of Afro as not being anime in this instance is merely a standpoint of certain people who do not like it or choose not to like it for whatever reason they may have.

Gawyn said:
Afro Samurai said:
Afro Samurai is an Anime... Japanese people accept it as an Anime...
Just to play devil's advocate on that one, the definition of anime in the west and Japan are quite different. In Japan all animation is anime since it means precisely that and to that end Mickey Mouse or Wallace and Grommit are also anime to Japanese. In the west it has been borrowed to mean that subset of animation that originates in Japan. That is not to say that Afro Samurai is not anime (by western terms) because it clearly is but does point out a flaw in that particular argument...

In the issue of Japanese Newtype that I bought (which is an anime magazine) Shrek 3 was covered, so I'm inclined to believe what Gawyn says!

Is it me or the suit that Jinno wears looks remarkably similar to the teddy bear (espers) that attacks Tetsuo in AKIRA.

Just noticed the reference.

Afro Samurai is set to repeat again on Bravo sometime in November as one long movie (all the episodes back to back).

There should be some advertising of it on Bravo sometime next month. I'll hopefully let you guys know more next monday on that though

Afro

Back