Afro Samurai coming to Bravo in May

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to DigiGuide, the Samuel L. Jackson produced samurai anime Afro Samurai will be hitting UK digital TV channel Bravo, starting at 23:30 on Friday 4th May 2007.

This violent 5 episode series, often compared to the cult classic Ninja Scroll, reportedly cost upwards of $5,000,000 to animate (produced by Studio GONZO) and along with Samuel L. Jackson, also features the voice talent of Hollywood's Ron "Hell Boy" Perlman and Kelly Hu. "Kill Bill"'s RZA composed the hip-hop tinged soundtrack.

Thanks to J_C_X for reporting this news.

This is pretty interesting news. Must admit I'd rather see something that feels a bit more like "authentic" anime, but then just the big names involved with Afro should mean it earns some attention. I hope it does well for Bravo, I remember when the showed a whole bunch of Manga Ent. movies during the late 90s.

Yeah this could open up the door for anime on Bravo. With the adult swim block they sound like they are building up a neat little home for anime there. If this is successful I'd imagine Bravo will look in to other anime series, I think Samurai Champoo and GIS:SAC would be in Bravo's audience demographic.

I think this is a wise purchase by Bravo, It is a short series but with big names attached it might pull the regular punter and bring new fans to the anime market.

At 5 episode it is short but it could leave some fans of the show wanting more or something similar.

True it might not be the choice of a hardcore anime fan but I think it's a great show to welcome people to the anime medium. Bravo coul have done a lot worse than Afro Samurai.

Hey at least we have some anime on our adult swim now.

could be intresting. havent seen the series at all but it seems to have quite a few fans. might have to check it out.

Quite big TV anime news recently with the upcoming launch of ANIMAX and all.

jayme12345 said:
could be intresting. havent seen the series at all but it seems to have quite a few fans. might have to check it out.

Quite big TV anime news recently with the upcoming launch of ANIMAX and all.

Yes it proves well for a healthy UK anime market.

To be fair to Bravo as well as a regular on the forums, there has been many topics on anime (probably the most) they have had replied not in a helpfull manner but they never ruled out anime. There has never been one post from a Bravo employee saying we are not getting anime and when they do post they tend to be minimal on details but enough to give you a liitle hope.

Go to www.bravo.co.uk/adultswim forums and see if we can pester them to get Blood+ ideal replacement for fans of the Blade series (which was cancelled after 1 season on the basis it was crap.) who want something similar.

I honestly believe if this is successful we will see more anime on adult swim UK.

J_C_X said:
Go to www.bravo.co.uk/adultswim forums and see if we can pester them to get Blood+ ideal replacement for fans of the Blade series (which was cancelled after 1 season on the basis it was crap.) who want something similar.

I honestly believe if this is successful we will see more anime on adult swim UK.
I don't agree. While it is anime, it's primary draw is less to do with anime and is all to do with Sam Jackson heading the cast and production side of things. It is a TV show with an A-list actor starring in it and is wholly separate from the majority of anime for that reason. There is a possibility that Bravo will show more anime but showing Afro is by no means any indication that they are heading down that route.

It is good that this is being shown but its unique place in the anime market means nothing else stands close to it. It will be a lot like Animatrix, which while it had a lot of airtime on TV had very little impact on the anime industry and the visibility of anime.

Yeah you maybe right but the fact that a A-list star voiced a 5 episode OAV has to prove that anime is becoming mainstream.

I suspect that Bravo will look at more anime if Afro Samurai is successful. Anime is a emerging market in the UK and the proof is in Japanorama which is on it's 3rd season. Afro Samurai if it's on the adult swim block and bumps up ratings (which Bravo have been complaining they are low) they would be foolish not to buy more anime.

Gawyn said:
I don't agree. While it is anime, it's primary draw is less to do with anime and is all to do with Sam Jackson heading the cast and production side of things. It is a TV show with an A-list actor starring in it and is wholly separate from the majority of anime for that reason. There is a possibility that Bravo will show more anime but showing Afro is by no means any indication that they are heading down that route.

It is good that this is being shown but its unique place in the anime market means nothing else stands close to it. It will be a lot like Animatrix, which while it had a lot of airtime on TV had very little impact on the anime industry and the visibility of anime.

Suppose so it has been granted free publicity in the way of Japanorama but when it aired in the US it had extensive ad blitz and as far as I know it rated well. If Bravo were to do the same I'm sure this would be a success. The best case scenario is this rates well for Bravo people and fans who enjoyed it may push Bravo for some more anime.

I swear Bravo used to show anime films like Guyver and such can anyone back me up?

J_C_X said:
Gawyn said:

Suppose so it has been granted free publicity in the way of Japanorama but when it aired in the US it had extensive ad blitz and as far as I know it rated well. If Bravo were to do the same I'm sure this would be a success. The best case scenario is this rates well for Bravo people and fans who enjoyed it may push Bravo for some more anime.

I swear Bravo used to show anime films like Guyver and such can anyone back me up?

pretty sure only sci fi showed movies

Back