4 new possible UK Anime liceneses appearing on HMV?

unellmay said:
akira overrated?
Did the word overrated change its meaning at some point?
What are you gonna do? Throw red text at me? Stop acting indignant when something displeases you all the time and chill.

I think it's an overrated movie. You seem to be thinking that I'm saying it's a bad movie, when I'm clearly not. If I thought it was a bad movie I'd say "It's a bad movie".

Also whats up with the one disk release of sailormoon???

Must be the stupidist company ever
Why no dragonball z boxsets?
everyone would buy those

unellmay said:

everyone would buy those

Not if the sales figures for the last Dragon Ball Z feature to be released here by Warner are an accurate measure - which given the price of the license even now quite frankly are worth being taken seriously!

beez_andrew said:
Not if the sales figures for the last Dragon Ball Z feature to be released here by Warner are an accurate measure - which given the price of the license even now quite frankly are worth being taken seriously!
I'm sorry, but your comment gave me the impression that a show that is 20 years old is expensive to license. I must be seeing things...

WRT to the DBZ feature, I'm not sure which feature you're talking about, but most DBZ movies, OVA's etc are rubish.

They all had a VHS release back home and I collected them all, but there werevery few that were ok. Most of them were just fanservice adding nothing to the franchise.

chaos said:
beez_andrew said:
I'm sorry, but your comment gave me the impression that a show that is 20 years old is expensive. I must be seeing things...

WRT to the DBZ feature, I'm not sure which feature you're talking about, but most DBZ movies, OVA's etc are rubish.

They all had a VHS release back home and I collected them all, but there werevery few that were ok. Most of them were just fanservice adding nothing to the franchise.

I wish you were, but last time we as a collective UK industry checked it actually was still that way! I'd bet the DBZ movie despite quality has not helped that.

You never know though, it may be possible to drive a bargain on it but given how poorly the features performed handled by a bigger company who managed to get it into supermarkets on a good rate back in the days that was a real challenge and you can see why it's a title people are reluctant to approach...

Well, guess it's one of those I'll have to import then. Can you share the sales figures from Warner / license cost of DBZ? I'm curious =)

I've just got my hands on a very big series (50+ dvd's if you include OVA's and movies) and I'm not sure when I'll be able to finish that series, so DBZ might have to wait a while before I get it.

beez_andrew said:
The ones released by Warner were pretty bad, which would probably explain the sales as word got out pretty quick on how bad it was.

The one I've got isn't too bad, but the dub's a joke. Goku sounds like Sylvester Stallone, Krillin has a child's voice (when he's the same age as Goku), and as Piccolo name changes to Big Green.

Either the one show on UK TV or the Funimation dubs are much, much better. But in terms of the TV series I reckon a UK release would most likely struggle if it didn't compare well to 6-disc sets that are out in the US.

I already own the Akira bluray.

Of the others Sherlock Hound Complete Series and Vampire Knight sound interesting but are dvd releases. I am trying to avoid buying things twice so I am cutting back on the dvd purchases.

beez_andrew said:
unellmay said:

everyone would buy those

If those sales figgures are the sales figgures I think your talking about then those are absolutely not accurate to bugger all.

Those releases were, and I'm being generous when I'm saying this, abominations upon God and any company that uses that as thier measuring stick when checking wether or not to pick up the DB series a) seriously needs to evaluate thier being in the market and b) Needs to remember that Warner/Turner is part way responsible for digging anime in this hole we're in.

i think as far as DBZ goes i'll just stick to the abridged series. seriously there's parts of it that i miss and others that i don't but i reckon that they'd charge just as much by the time you import one

Conan-san said:
Mohawk52 said:
Methinks that Sailor Moon is an old leftover from the MVM days as Toei allegedly revoked ALL licences for it years ago. It is hoped that with that Toei/FUNI streaming deal they might bring it up from the basement and re release it that way, but so far it's just hope.
If I may conjecture, maybe Disney's UK branch has decided "Let's give this another shot" for Disney XD and they've got the licence (which given thier links to DIC and Toei though Sailor Moon and the likes of Digimon Data Squad, isn't entirely out of the question).

This of course throws up a whole boat load of questions but it's a therom non the less.
I will conjecture that Disney will have absolutely nothing to do with Sailor Moon.

unellmay said:

everyone would buy those

Sherlock Hound Complete Series is still only counted as 1 disc on HMV, so take no notice of the no. of disc as of yet.

With the filler problems and amount episodes Dragon Ball Z has it's going to be a problem for UK release. But with the slim down version Dragon Ball Kai now coming out which has cut the filler out so it rumoured the series is going from 291 to 100 Episodes. Also been remastered to boot, I could imagine Manga licensing it in the not so distance future, the Dragon Ball Kai version at least improves the chances of UK license.

Mohawk52 said:
Conan-san said:
Mohawk52 said:
Methinks that Sailor Moon is an old leftover from the MVM days as Toei allegedly revoked ALL licences for it years ago. It is hoped that with that Toei/FUNI streaming deal they might bring it up from the basement and re release it that way, but so far it's just hope.
If I may conjecture, maybe Disney's UK branch has decided "Let's give this another shot" for Disney XD and they've got the licence (which given thier links to DIC and Toei though Sailor Moon and the likes of Digimon Data Squad, isn't entirely out of the question).

This of course throws up a whole boat load of questions but it's a therom non the less.
I will conjecture that Disney will have absolutely nothing to do with Sailor Moon.
I was throwing out theroms, if you have a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.

Dave said:
unellmay said:

everyone would buy those

Sherlock Hound Complete Series is still only counted as 1 disc on HMV, so take no notice of the no. of disc as of yet.

With the filler problems and amount episodes Dragon Ball Z has it's going to be a problem for UK release. But with the slim down version Dragon Ball Kai now coming out which has cut the filler out so it rumoured the series is going from 291 to 100 Episodes. Also been remastered to boot, I could imagine Manga licensing it in the not so distance future, the Dragon Ball Kai version at least improves the chances of UK license.

But I want the real one meeeerrrr

Conan-san said:
I was throwing out theroms, if you have a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.
See my earlier post then. Like I said this is most likely an overlooked entry on HMV's catalogue, or new old stock they found in a werehouse and are selling it off, because Toei pulled all licences and buried her in the basement. It has to be the old DIC dub. Might even be one of the old Pioneer subbed movies. but it's nothing new like an uncut dub, or sub of the entire series in boxes from Funimation. I have no idea where you get Disney being involved in any way. They wouldn't get passed the first tranfomation scene, before rejecting the whole series, or running it through the shredder like DIC did, which would be tantamount to reinventing the wheel if they did.

Maxon said:
Sherlock Hound looks like a fun and light hearted series. Seems very Studio Ghibli-esque if it isn't a SG production.
Sherlock Hound (Meitantei Holmes) is, or rather was, a Miyazaki Hayao creation, directed and partially written by him in the early '80s just before Nausicaä, not just something he was tangentially involved in (though such things still tend to be of interest). The confusing thing is that intellectual property issues led to Tôkyô Movie Shinsha dropping the production after six episodes and re-starting it some years later, when the Takahata/Miyazaki posse had already moved on to what would soon become Studio Ghibli, re-dubbing the superior Miyazaki episodes and scattering them throughout the original broadcast run.

If whoever is releasing this is smart, they'd do well to release just the six original episodes on one disc. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if there were licensing issues that prevented them from doing so.

Back