3DS Warning: Could cause eye-damage

This is more or less the same warning that the Virtual Boy has... you play that thing for about 15 minutes and a rather larger box pops up telling you to take a break. When you ignore it it becomes more frequent. I'm half surprised the thing doesn't just turn itself off.

yes I renember the virtual boy had a health warning causing nobody to buy it. The virtual boy had really messed up colours.

Tachi- said:
threat: too much exposure to the 3DS will leave permanent damage.... users walk away with their eyes open, seeing EVERYTHING IN 3D :O

Just joking, but in a more realistic way, playing the gamecube and wii was a serious health threat, only the weak play such a console.
baddasses use ps3's and 360s
You're so edgy.

The Sun was included in the first post there, therefore nullifying anything it suggests. And the second one wasn't so much a hit at the 3DS "health hazard", but more at the fact that Sony said the technology was "a great babysitting tool", also suggesting that a gaming console must have the best technology on launch, which is bollocks. Games don't need top of the range tech to be good, i wish sony and microsoft would realise this by now.

Here's your source by the by http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3401 ... levant.php

Anywho. Let's consider why they suggested this was all crap, shall we? Ok. First off, The Sun has no idea what they talk about 100% of the time, so chances are, they found a few people who had minor problems with them and pushed it to the extreme.

Secondly, i expect they have no idea what the Slider on the right side of the top screen is for. It's for adjusting the 3D intensity. I bet you most of the people complaining just threw it to max and left it at that. They made it so you can adjust the 3D affects for a reason, if you neglect to realise that, then it's your own fault for getting ill.

Nintendo left plenty, and i do mean plenty of health warnings for the handheld before launch, not only aimed at under 7s, but for others too. Sony are just trying to push the competition to the NGP, which will be one hell of a push, considering it's rumoured to cost $49-149 more than the 3DS.

/rant

Arbalest said:
The Sun was included in the first post there, therefore nullifying anything it suggests.

What the f*ck? I linked an IGN article. How is that The Sun?

Arbalest said:
And the second one wasn't so much a hit at the 3DS "health hazard", but more at the fact that Sony said the technology was "a great babysitting tool", also suggesting that a gaming console must have the best technology on launch, which is bollocks. Games don't need top of the range tech to be good, i wish sony and microsoft would realise this by now.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort; in linking the Sony article it was simply the top hit in my newsfeed. Sorry I don't trawl through several gaming websites just to find one that 'may be better to link' on a forum.

Arbalest said:
Anywho. Let's consider why they suggested this was all crap, shall we? Ok. First off, The Sun has no idea what they talk about 100% of the time, so chances are, they found a few people who had minor problems with them and pushed it to the extreme.

It wouldn't have been on National TV (Watchdog) if there weren't a vast volume of complaints. Just stop being a fanboy and admit it; there are health concerns. I don't own a 3DS so I'm not sure if on boot up it will make these warnings very clear (I.e. a screen saying "Don't play for more than 15-30 minutes with full 3D on") so I can't comment there. Either way, my concerns earlier in the year are clearly justified now.

Edit: I've had it clarified there are warnings; which leads me to think even more so it isn't people just being ignorant, and there are genuine issues here. Everyone pays attention to something with "WARNING" on it.

Arbalest said:
Secondly, i expect they have no idea what the Slider on the right side of the top screen is for. It's for adjusting the 3D intensity. I bet you most of the people complaining just threw it to max and left it at that. They made it so you can adjust the 3D affects for a reason, if you neglect to realise that, then it's your own fault for getting ill.

You think too little of people; stop being a fanboy and accept that most people probably wanted to play their 3D console in 3D. Frankly 15-30 minutes of playing before getting diziness/headaches isn't very long. I doubt some games will even have Save Points regularly enough, to be honest.

Arby, you are just defending this thing blindly. I have no doubt that it's great, but you cannot deny that we don't know any potential long term problems it may cause. I still intend to get one eventually; but I'm interested in any health problems new technology may have.

I was referring to the onlinesocialmedia link, which in turn linked to the sun. That's what i meant. Only reason i even brought them up too. i try to avoid them like a plague for many reasons.

ok ok. I'll work backwards.

You think too little of people; stop being a fanboy and accept that most people probably wanted to play their 3D console in 3D.

Not once did i say they couldn't play in 3D. What i said was they could adjust the intensity of the 3D, therefore, it would still play in 3D, just at a level which would work better for some. Simple as that.

i don't "trawl through several gaming websites just to find one that 'may be better to link' on a forum.", heck the only reason i posted that was because i had noticed the topic in question a couple days back and deemed it valid to the Sony side of things.

On the health problem front. I realise there is the possibility of health problems, and i don't think i denied that. What i said was more attacking The Sun in regards to their articles on the matter. They have a fairly bad rep for that kind of thing if memory serves.

If we're talking long term problems, then yeah, there is no way to tell, it's not even been out a month yet, yet people are complaining of problems. I linked that to the fact that it could be a problem of 3D intensity. On starting up the 3DS for the first time, the handheld pushes you to set the 3D to a comfortable level before continuing. Nintendo can't be held responsible for what some people may ignore. As said, they left plenty of health warnings.

Save points aren't so much of a worry. like the original DS, it goes into sleep mode when you close it over, which essentially is a quick save.

Also, this "fanboy" side of things seems more down to the fact i'm defending it. I defend things i see deserved of it. Only reason i haven't defended Sony on this front is because they judged something purely on a technology standpoint and it not as it should be judged, for it's games. Nintendo have plenty to be concerned with as well, there is no denying that.

If me defending one thing for what i hear from people with the 3DS instead of what i hear from tabloids and the TV makes me a fanboy, sure, call me one, i couldn't care less.

Jaymii said:
I've never had a problem with 3D, and I always wear glasses. For some reason. Nintendo, imo, are just being careful. They need to.
Exactly, they don't want to be sued for something as silly as not putting a health warning on their products, and if we're honest, most games come with a warning that says "do not play for x number of hours without a break"

Plus IGN deserves no respect, it IS as bad as The Sun

Jaymii said:
In the way it's focused at male-readers or what? It's weird how anti-establishment a lot of gamers are.
I don't have anything against their news section; I just don't like paid reviewers. I value consumer opinion over industry opinion.

Are there any game analysers/critical gamers as opposed to simply reviewing? I know The AV Club have a game section, but I mainly use that site for their (terrific) television analyse. I would hope it continues over to the game stuff. IGN, as a whole, never has particularly nice writing. It's not bad, just merely acceptable.

Re: the opinions, it's always best to go for individuals I find. Don't mind whether they paid for it or not.

Back