3DS Warning: Could cause eye-damage

shira

Shinigami
I was dubious of the 3DS from the start for these reasons, and it seems Nintendo have confirmed my suspicions-

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1142304p1.html

It's suggested you don't play in 3D mode for more than 30 minutes at a time, before taking a break.

I sure know I wont be picking one of these up for a long time, and will be primarily using 2D mode now!

I've never had a problem with 3D, and I always wear glasses. For some reason. Nintendo, imo, are just being careful. They need to.

I would say I have had some issues with 3D, and no issues with it at other times, and I wear glasses usually when I go to the cinema. I don't wear glasses when, say, playing the DS though, so I'm intrigued to see how well their 3D effect goes in that respect.

The idea behind this hasn't been exactly covered up at all by any means. The "threat" of eye-damage has been mentioned for a while, but i expect it will be no different to any other threats to eye-damage. Like Jayme said, it's probably them being careful, they've put out a suggestion, whether you follow it or not, your choice. And another thing, why would this be any different to watching films in 3D?

Arbalest said:
And another thing, why would this be any different to watching films in 3D?

It's different because watching a 3D film, you use the glasses. The 3DS you don't. I can't remember how exactly it generates its 3D images, but because it works n the naked eye, I think it's a bit more risky.

It'll probably have a similar affect to looking at optical illusions, right? And, it uses the two screens to trick the eye - or something. It's why TV's still need glasses.

I should have said, bar the glasses in my last post, but ah well. I think though, until it has it's official release, we really won't know how risky it is, everything will be somewhat clouded up.

@Jayme: The 3DS only has the top screen for 3D, the bottom screen isn't, so it ain't that.

Arbalest said:
I should have said, bar the glasses in my last post, but ah well. I think though, until it has it's official release, we really won't know how risky it is, everything will be somewhat clouded up.

As far as I know it's something to do with how the image is lit. Something like fast alternating colours that each eye will then process differently, giving the 3D illusion.

I'm gonna leave it a good year or so before I get it/use it in 3D, just so I can see what sort of damage it [might] cause.

I just get the impression that potential eye damage is worse than the current warnings, which just induce migrains and eye strain. Things that both get fine after a few hours. If this damage is potentially long lasting, i'll be avoiding it.

ilmaestro said:
Try telling someone who suffers from them that they are "just" migraines.
+1.

But i think the whole thing is just Nintendo covering its bases. I mean have you read the health and safty stuff that came with a GBA SP? It told you don't play for more than 15 mins!

there was one other bit. They've addressed the whole 3D risk as needed, but is this limit for having the 3D in full? or toned down? Keep in mind it has a slider which can change the level of 3D as you see fit. So if the recommended time frame the same throughout, or varied? I still get the H&S bit, but hey, there we go.

ilmaestro said:
Try telling someone who suffers from them that they are "just" migraines.

I've had them as well, but lets be realistic- they go away. If there is potential for this to be long term damage, then it's most certainly something users should take precautions again.

"Warning - smoking causes lung cancer"

;)

People will ignore health warnings if they are enjoying what they are doing, unfortunately.

ilmaestro said:
"Warning - smoking causes lung cancer"

;)

People will ignore health warnings if they are enjoying what they are doing, unfortunately.

At least that's plastered all over the packet, not just in a silly little handbook no one reads ;)

It's just a "we did tell you, here it is in the manual" for covering their backs should someone try to sue after getting eye strain.
It's not like the exact same advice isn't on nearly every other type of screen as well.

This is more or less the same warning that the Virtual Boy has... you play that thing for about 15 minutes and a rather larger box pops up telling you to take a break. When you ignore it it becomes more frequent. I'm half surprised the thing doesn't just turn itself off.

That's surprising news
now i dont need 3D effect and wont buy 3DS. But when it will be mainstream someday, many softs of it are released I may buy it.
I've got to be carefull.

threat: too much exposure to the 3DS will leave permanent damage.... users walk away with their eyes open, seeing EVERYTHING IN 3D :O

Just joking, but in a more realistic way, playing the gamecube and wii was a serious health threat, only the weak play such a console.
baddasses use ps3's and 360s

Back