$100 million Dragonball Z movie in production

Tsunami_Spike said:
Due to the fact the Live Action movie of DBZ was brought up some years ago and the website license had been renewed before Transformers was announced...I don't really think you can accuse them off jumping on to some band wagon

Actually the liscene to build a movie off of Transformers was struck in like 2001 between Donald Murphy and Hasbro(Murphy wanted GI Joe, Hasbro said no, so he got Transformers), and was in looking for a studio so that production could commence, enter DreamWorks in 2005.

Unless they get Toriyama to direct it'll probably be a flop.

Hollywood is good at slaughtering decent animations (i.e. turtles). It'll probably have the best SFX in film history though.

Any ideas for cast list?

Vim Diesel as Piccolo?
Ian McKellen as Roshi?
Matt Damon as Goku?

This will be a movie with will gross a lot of money, as fans of the Dragonball anime, even if they have watched only a few episodes would probably go and see it, and if that means it will help produce 4 movies (I think it'll go Saiyan, Freeza, Cell then Buu) it'll be great, even though I think the Buu saga might need a extreamly high budget with all the crazy things that happen. =].

Anyways, I know that people are going on about 'known' actors for parts, but I think they should cast 'unknows' for the parts, who are good actors as it'llmost likely make them seem more like that character, basically if you had Hugh Jackman as the character he would be more known for previous movie parts like X-Men. This is from thinking about TV series successes like Lost, Heroes or Friends, who have mainly 'unknowns' cast for parts, before the series was a success.

This movie will be a success, but I just hope they don't 'Westernise' it or alter the story line as that will be just a massive mistake by the studios. I've already heard reports that Goku changes his mind of destruction, when he actually was dropped on his head when he was a baby which made him become a good guy.

Also, big manga and anime series might be bought up if this is a success but I hope some won't, especially Naruto, as I can imagine a small blonde american kid shouting 'Believe it!' all the damn time.

Hope you liked my essay, if anyone actually reads it. =]. Laters.

Well...here's the proof in the pie that this just is NOT going to work... Not even a sniff of Krillin u-u;;

Source Chud [http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=12002]

An old and trusted scooper named Tailgunner Joe has just dropped some info into my lap, and after taking a spin around Google, I'm convinced it's news: James Wong, formerly of The X-Files and the man behind Final Destination and The One, is writing and directing the live action version of Dragon Ball, which is going to go into production in Canada this November.

Included with the scoop was this casting breakdown; I know jack nor ____ about Dragon Ball (is there supposed to be a Z in there?) or the characters, so it's up to you to figure out if what Wong et al are looking for fit the anime bill.

[GOKU] 18 years old, Goku is considered uncool and unpopular at school, but he is in fact an extremely talented martial arts fighter who gets rigorous training from his grandfather, Gohan. After the death of his grandfather by the evil Lord Piccolo, Goku finds his destiny in his grandfather's dying request that he find Master Roshi and gather all seven Dragon Balls (of which he has one) in order to prevent Piccolo from succeeding in his desire to use the dragonballs to take over the world. Trained by Master Roshi, aided by Bulma and Yamcha, friends he meets along the way, Goku proves himself a formidable, almost undefeatable fighter. On many dangerous adventures to find the remaining Dragon Balls and thus save the world, Goku conquers physical and emotional challenges, ultimately saving the world but clearly impelled to spend his life searching for the Dragon Balls with his trusty companions...LEAD

[BULMA] 20s, female, pretty, with great intelligence behind her gleaming eyes, Bulma is a determined, competitive young woman whose father's five star Dragon Ball was stolen by Lord Piccolo, and who believes that she can harness their unlimited energy and change the world like Edison or Einstein. Bulma, who has a DBE (a Dragon Ball locator device), teams up with Goku, and with him meets up with Master Roshi and Yamcha as they attempt to collect the missing Dragon Balls before Piccolo can destroy the world. A resourceful and courageous young woman who's also a weapons expert, she overcomes many obstacles with her colleagues, only to find the seven Dragon Balls ultimately snatched from their grasp--but it's clear she's going to continue searching for them with Goku and Yamcha...LEAD

[YAMCHA] 20s, "the bad boy who has no trouble attracting women," he taunts Goku, Bulma and Master Yoshi, who are trapped in a sand cave, rather than helping them with his rope ladder. However, after overhearing Master Roshi's tale of Piccolo once nearly destroyed the Earth and are preparing to do so again, Yamcha has a change of heart and not only helps the three in the desert, but becomes a valuable part of the team. An ingenious young man whose utililty truck is the Swiss Army Knife of trucks--every tool and gear imaginable sprouts from its body--Yamcha joins Goku, Bulma (with whom he becomes romantically involved) and Master Yoshi on their quest to find the seven Dragon Balls before Piccolo...LEAD

[MASTER ROSHI] This older man is a good friend of Goku's grandfather, Gohan, and Goku comes to enlist his help after his grandfather is killed. Although he looks like a beggar, Roshi is one of the worlds most fearsome fighters. Master Roshi begins Goku's rigorous training to prepare him for the adventure of finding and fighting for the seven Dragon Balls to save the world from Piccolo's destructive plan. A wise, somewhat wry man who knows as much about human nature as he does about martial arts, Master Roshi is impressed with Goku's fighting but reminds him of his failings as well. Ultimately, Master Roshi sacrifices his own life in order to destroy Piccolo...LEAD

[MAI] Late 20s, female, her features exotic, ****y but deadly, dressed in gleaming black, with weapons strapped all over her body, she's a martial arts expert and Lord Piccolo's chief enforcer. Crafty and quick thinking, Mai uses her ability to shapeshift near the climax of the movie and takes on the form of Chi Chi, a young martial arts expert who's romantically involved with Goku and later saves Piccolo from Master Roshi's curse; once she is revealed she ends up in the fight of her life.

[LORD PICCOLO] An ancient being who despite his humanoid appearance, is from an alien race determined to take over the world. Piccolo is the cursed ruler of a demonic race who nearly destroyed Earth 2000 years ago, and with the coming of the eclipse and the possession of all seven Dragon Balls, he's prepared to free himself and do the job right this time. Crafty and smart, Piccolo has some disturbing news for Goku, namely that the boy is actually a Saiyan who's destined to join Piccolo as his right hand in destroying and enslaving the planet...LEAD

[CHI CHI] Gokus lifelong love interest, Chi Chi is an attractive, tom boy-ish young woman who has grown up with Goku. She has studied martial arts and has always suspected that Goku possesses talents that are unusual and extraordinary. After Goku embarks on his journey to redeem his grandfathers death, Chi Chi meets up with Goku and his crew at a tournament of champions where their mutual attraction finally heats up during a training session.

[GOHAN] Goku's kindly, wise grandfather, he looks like he's in his 70s but moves like Jet Li. An accomplished martial artist who trains Goku on the bow staff, he loves his grandson and is happy to prepare a special feast for him on his 18th birthday, as well as a special gift: a 3 star Dragon Ball. Tragically, Gohan is struck down by the high ninjas of the Namek-Jins, and as he dies he sends his grandson out to do face his destiny and do battle against them...

Meh, they can get whoever the hell they want now. Honestly, after having read the above...really...I couldn't care less about the movie. In fact I care more now about the damage it will do to the franchise than the movie itself.

Side note - Revengeguy...read the stuff I posted...The Rock playing an 18 year old? lol

LMAOOO @ Goku being unpopular at school.

I didn't think he even went...besides that driving school of course. >_>

But yeah...old Gohan getting killed by Namek ninjas (hahaha!) and blatant spoilerz (and what a random ending!) in the Roshi description too. I'm SO excited about this!!!

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion it wasn't gonna be faithful, but still... -_-

Well i can't say i'm surprised, though it sounds more like the final saga of Dragonball then the first of Dragonball Z. The high school thing would of fit a storyline featuring Goku's son, Gohan then him. I remember when the rumours resurfaced a few years ago when someone said that Bredan Fraiser (of the Mummy fame) was being considered for Goku

Least there would be no arguments of whether or not Fraiser would use a wig or hair gel then lol...

I had a small inckling of hope this'd be something worthwhile...but now I think I'll just stop admitting I'm a DragonBall fan >.>;;

Well, if you thought they weren't going to change the script to make it more American, you're mad.

Fans of some things are so overly touchy. Shut up and enjoy the movie.

Its one of the greatest manga's to be written and most people who'll go an see the movie would have read or seen the manga or anime, meaning theyknow the story. If they westernise it then it'll just be pointless as it doesn'tmatch the actual storyline, Toriyama stated he didn't remember much about the story of DB as he doesn't re-read it and it was written near 20 years ago. But the writers are 'supposed' to research something if they are adapting to the big screen another media, it would be quite simple to pick up some of the volumes and read the story and stick to it.

Also that story of Goku going to school and Gohan teaching him martial arts sounds like a bloody karate kid movie! All the new backgrounds of the characters sound stupid. It'd be a rubbish movie if they didhave that kind of story, end of.

[CHI CHI] Gokus lifelong love interest, Chi Chi is an attractive, tom boy-ish young woman who has grown up with Goku. She has studied martial arts and has always suspected that Goku possesses talents that are unusual and extraordinary. After Goku embarks on his journey to redeem his grandfathers death, Chi Chi meets up with Goku and his crew at a tournament of champions where their mutual attraction finally heats up during a training session.

HAHAHAAHHAAHA

sorry had to laugh at that, this is the Goku who's clueless to love and he's been after her since childhood???

Espy said:
Well, if you thought they weren't going to change the script to make it more American, you're mad.

Fans of some things are so overly touchy. Shut up and enjoy the movie.

We're not allowed to hope for the directors to actually *know* something about what they're making a movie adaption to? They shouldn't get involved unless they know enough to know that this is one hell of a stupid idea. They should get a director who's a fan of DB...but no I suppose it's typical America movie making, take something that's not theirs and try make out it is...sad.

It's like...trying to write an Aliens book when you've never seen any of the Alien movies and know nothing about it...which a certain author did...and shock horror the book flopped.

Edit - Apparently, the only reason Wong is doing it is because no A-List director really wanted to do a DragonBall movie.

Back